• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Fisher 500B & 500C

HairySatchel

Active Member
I hate passing up a good deal. Except sometimes good deals don't always turnout to be good deals when all is said and done. I have an opportunity to buy both pieces for 350 total. They supposedly work but will need some TLC. Should I go for it?



Both are sweaty and far from mint.
 
Register to hide this ad
My guy said I could take them home and check them out. I have till next weekend to pay. They are on my bench now and will be staying. Thanks for the responses.
 
If they work at all it means the iron is good. So long as the iron is original (and knowing Fisher gear the iron should be original) that alone would make it a wonderful deal. Good cabinets, so long as whatver ails them is fixable, is gravy. I would do the deal in a heartbeat.
 
Ok I plugged both units in and turned them on, The 500C had a nasty and very loud hum coming from the power supply followed by some smoke. 500b had much less hum before the smoke started and I was much quicker to unplug it. I hope I didn't damage any good parts if there are any. I should have used a variac but it probably wouldn't have helped anyway. 500C cabinet is serviceable but the 500b cabinet doesn't look like a Fisher part but vintage and serviceable non the less. Both are fairly clean with some corrosion on the top side of the 500B. Its looks like a full restoration and maybe new output tubes before I'm done. I now wonder if 350 for the pair is to much if I'm going to have to drop at least 400 to do the restoration myself. I might have to talk him down some or just buy the 500C for 200.
 
Oh dear lord just buy the pair. They're already a steal. Each one needs like $50-100 in caps and probably a few tubes. Tubes aren't terribly expensive.
 
Ouch. If you don't buy them are you going to let the seller know that you released the magic smoke?

If you do the work yourself, you're ahead of the game. Take a look at eBay completed sales for restored units with cases.
 
A variac may have made a difference. I always bring old gear up over days on a variac - just good practice.

Oh and go buy them!
 
It's been a while but both units are up and running. It was rough start since the transformers were very moist and steamy. Changed my shorts, bought a variac and brought them up properly. I'm working through a no FM issue on the 500c. 500b selector switch still needs even more cleaning. Its really been enjoyable. I had no idea I would like working with tube gear as much as do.
 
Another addict! In a world where so many things are impossible to deal with, old tube gear makes sense. I can actually see all the components, test them, and replace them as needed. And you get to hear the results of your efforts. Nothing but goodness in this kind of hobby (at least until the day when something really goes wrong! o_O).
 
Back
Top Bottom