• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Ghost of Bookshelf (Speakers) past.

SixCats!

Super Member
Hi all,

I was just wondering, how do "older" Bookshelf Speakers measure up/compare/sound vs. today's new Bookshelf Speakers ? When I refer to "older Bookshelf" Speakers, I'm talking about Speakers having a Woofer no larger than eight inches. I'm not sure when the trend for smaller Drivers were used in Bookshelf speakers. At any rate, I'm just wondering what are/where some of your favorite older/Classic model Bookshelf Speakers. I'm enjoying a pair of POLK M5JR Monitors I picked up a few years ago at a Yard Sale for less than ten dollars the pair (6 .5 Woofer, one inch dome Tweeter).

SixCats!
 
Register to hide this ad
As I recall the most popular model in the AR line was the AR-4x. This was an 8 inch acoustic suspension woofer with a cone tweeter.

I had a set back in the day and they were truly outstanding, but I sold and upgraded to a set of AR-3a's, which I still own.

Regards,
Jerry
 
KEF 103.2. They could be the only speakers I owned, and I could be happy with that. They're that good (IMO)! And can be had fairly cheap. I think $400 is top dollar for them. Not hard to find them cheaper. I got mine for $150. Easily the best $150 I've ever spent in audio.
 
I have an20 y/o pair of JM Labs Tantal 509s that are pretty nice, 2x6" and a inverted titanium tweeter
 
I'm loving my vintage 1981 Canton Quinto 510's right now. Super clear and fantastic imaging.

Cheers,
James

edit: They have silk dome tweeters and mids. :)
 
Last edited:
Marantz Imperial 6's. I have other newer speakers connected to a speaker switch but those old 6's still get plenty of play time. I am becoming a fan of silk soft dome tweeters though.
 
I own the ARs in post #2 paired with a Marantz 2216b in my small office system. Outstanding!
But Hawkeye's take on KEFs is spot on. KEF 102s pop up for beer money on the big auction site. Get a pair with the KUBE, do the ferro fluid, and live happily ever after. Some in teak, some in rosewood.
Mine(teak) powered by 'The Fisher' 400 leave little to be desired.
 
I have a pair of Infinty RS-2001's that are very good for their size. They image very well and have great detail. I've never heard them, but a few AK members rave about Infinity Infinitesimal speakers, which are pretty small.
 
Back
Top Bottom