• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The greatest tweak for a turntable........

Status
Not open for further replies.
...all manufactured items,including bearings and pins, are made to set tolerances, but they can be at the top of the tolerance range, or the bottom.

You said it, so what's that tolerance range? Do you think the control plans say "just adjust until you feel this and then back off a little"? Trying to make a point that "nothing is perfect" doesn't mean everything is up for desconstruction by anyone, and tolerance is just that, room to work in. If you think you've got what it takes to be in that range, more power to you but don't assume I, or anyone else here, should believe in those self-proclaimed credentials.

Actually, I did feel somewhat like you were attacking a person rather than a position. My point was that all products are manufactured to some set of tolerances, and so can be better or worse, and all manufactured products are susceptible to human error and corruption of moth and rust, to say nothing of shippers. So if an arm has obvious bearing play, simply saying that it's a Technics or a Linn so it must be perfect, no matter that it's several decades old and no matter that it obviously has a problem, doesn't seem sensible to me. If it's possible to improve the current state of the bearings easily and without expense, that seems better than either using it as is, or setting it aside until you win the lottery and can send it back to the factory.
Even if it is self proclaimed, I don't know why you, or anyone else here, shouldn't believe that its possible to improve a bad situation by a little tweaking. I don't don't think anyone is claiming that the inevitable result is better, or even equal to the intended factory settings, but it has to be better than an arm that rattles or sags.
I would note that 'self proclaimed credentials' is pretty oxymoronic here. No one is paid and accredited to post here even though there are plenty of really knowledgeable and professionally distinguished people involved. And this topic is one where we are all expressing opinions, you and me both.
 
For decades I've routinely adjusted bicycle wheel hubs on machines I take at up to 50MPH. I cannot recite ABEC numbers for those bearings as they compare to tonearm bearing surfaces but I can attest to the user-serviceability of many bearing applications. The idea that there is something unusual about tonearm bearing tolerances, compared to other routine applications all around us in this world, or expert settings required for use in tonearms, is plainly absurd.

It's this sort of silliness that allows manufacturers to routinely fleece the gullible buyer of audio equipment. Extreme tolerance bearing surfaces are all around us in mundane applications and have been routine technology for many, many years. Adjusting for smooth, non-binding function is not difficult to learn. I've been in this hobby long enough to be sick of the bullshit that some effite or naive hobbyists peddle in forums like this. Phono is decades-old engineering that is plainly pedestrian. It does us all a disservice to argue otherwise.
 
While I am a fan boy of Technics, they are not the Supreme beings of manufacturing. You've created a religion out of it.
Sorry, I'm a belt drive fan, Thorens in particular. Technics isn't my religion, not even my cup of tea. How do you even come up with this stuff? A couple of pages ago you were ready to sacrifice the SL-1200 nay sayers on the technics altar, gasping for the priests to pull your behind out of the sh1^t$torm. Now it's my religion? You're just ready to make up any crap about anyone and say just about anything as long as you think it's in your interest. Looks like you're willing to set ablaze an entire discussion instead of admitting that stuff isn't really as obvious as you've initially assumed. It's a shitty strategy and it's not doing you any good. It isn't doing AK any good either. All that talk about killing isn't making me too comfortable. There's been enough nonsense around here without adding violence to the mixture.
 
@restorer-john I may reach out to you privately on some future insights here. I freely admit I was thinking @WaynerN had a bad example, but your results were quite shocking to me, as I’m sure they were to you as well. I’ll continue my experiments as time permits, but clearly no point in sharing them here.
 
@restorer-john I may reach out to you privately on some future insights here. I freely admit I was thinking @WaynerN had a bad example, but your results were quite shocking to me, as I’m sure they were to you as well
They were startling to me too. But another writer set my mind at ease: john's findings, even a discrepancy of 50mg, weren't real, they were solely due to his poor methodology.

BTW, the word "tolerance" is used often here, but only in a mechanical sense. It has other meanings.
 
If the arm is in neutral balance and dropping 10mg on the headshell doesn’t send it to the deck, something is very wrong. I didn’t see any flaw in methodology.
 
I didn’t see any flaw in methodology.
What are friends for... Lemme help!

"Hey, I got 3 tonearms of the same model. One's NOS, one's been in storage for 15 years and one is just mine, but they are all the same. If I drop a mass on the tip, they will all deflect the same, otherwise it surely means unequal bearings clearance".

See it now?

Let's just assume, for a minute, there could be some other weirdly and unexpected reasons for the tonearms not to deflect evenly. What could they possibly be?

How about with the thing taking place down under, some dust bunnies the size of roos are hiding inside the ball bearings? Can you rule it out?
How about with at least one tonearm being in storage for 15 years, some microscopic layer of rust is now formed around the balls or the pins? Can you rule it out?
How about with countless scorching hot summers and cold winters, some old vintage lubricant had congealed up inside the bearing? Can you rule it out?
How about with so many hot summers some tonearm wiring insulation became a sticky mush that's rubbing against the inner pillar tube? Can you rule it out?

I did not discuss inertia and how it might affect deflection with different carts at the end of each tonearm, but we're not even there yet. The fact is you can't rule
any of it out and it's the initial assumption that's flawed. Unequal deflection does not necessarily and definitively point to unequal bearings clearance.

How about irony now @bimasta. Are you still a big fan?
 
How about, with the thing taking place down under, some dust bunnies the size of roos are hiding inside the ball bearings. Can you rule it out?

I've been in numerous arms of the same bearing style and have never seen this. Can't rule it out as fact, but it's highly unlikely to be the case.

How about, with at least one tonearm being in storage for 15 years, some microscopic layer of rust is now formed surrounding the balls or the pins? Can you rule it out?

Stainless steel balls, plated and hardened pins, stainless races. Unlikely.

How about, with countless scorching hot summers and cold winters, some old vintage lubricant had conjelled up inside the bearing? Can you rule this out?

I can. Technics didn't use lubricant on the bearings.

Conversely, my experiments weren't all that well orchestrated, and the best results were from an arm that I repaired all the bearings. Why were you so positive about my outcome? Was it because the apparent performance of the bearings met your expectations?

It'd seem you don't appreciate what 10mg at the end of the arm should do. We're not talking a little bit more rolling resistance than spec, we're talking an order of magnitude more. The good news is John can dig in to one of his arms and ascertain exactly what's amiss. I'm sure he will, and I hope he reports his findings.

You may also note that I said something is very wrong if 10mg doesn't send it to the deck. I didn't say what. Similarly I note your 'quote' of what John said is your fabrication.

And yes, I am a fan. It seemed rather clear that he did not endorse what Wayner did and performed experiments of his own to gather more data, and took the time to share that information here so we could all benefit from it. It wasn't presented as a universal truth, but merely as data points. More data needs to be gathered, as John said he'd do. After all this I hope he still does. Frankly I thought Wayner was off his rocker as well. John's data made me think twice.

Would you care to participate in a constructive manner? Perhaps present some actual data?
 
  • I didn't mean the dust bunnies are actually the size of kangaroos. It was a joke. I find it very reasonable that some dust would end up in the bearings, especially in Australia.
  • Stainless steel isn't rust proof. That's a misconception. Don't believe it for a minute. Given time and the elements it will oxidize and develop spots. It's not just not unlikely it's very likely.
  • Technics may have not used lubricants (I don't know... Do you?) but previous owners might have.
  • I wasn't quoting John word for word or I'd use a citation - I was just illustrating the case so I can point to the flaw. In essence - it was accurate.
  • I was positively impressed with your outcome b/c you had no outcome despite preparing a good experiment. You had the sense not to draw an impossible conclusion.
  • Whatever John did, whatever information he collected (no idea what that might be or how) he did not prove anything regarding the bearing clearance. He did not even have the means to measure and record any experimental behavior in a quantitative fashion. His experiment is of zero useful value and offers zero valuable data. Any reference to this as even a remote proof of factory bearings clearance inequality is misleading. I appreciate you are probably aware of it but it appears some of the other participants in this thread lack the ability to break this down to facts and I don't think John is doing anything other than adding to the confusion.
  • I'd like to note and make it clear: It's not inconceivable that factory bearings do differ in clearance. My point is - it hadn't been proved. Not by a long shot.

As for me, I have absolutely no interest in collecting further information on Technics bearings. This is not my argument to prove and it's not a subject I care for. You're not pinning this on me. My constructive contribution is in debunking ridiculous propositions and keeping this forum different and critical as opposed to it's many a teenager and DJ wannabe's counterpart forums.
 
I didn't mean the dust bunnies are actually the size of kangaroos. It was a joke. I find it very reasonable that some dust would end up in the bearings, especially in Australia.

I know. I've been in dozens of bearings, and I've never seen any dust or debris causing rolling resistance.

Stainless steel isn't rust proof. That's a misconception. Don't believe it for a minute. Given time and the elements it will oxidize and develop spots. It's not just not unlikely it's very likely.

I know that as well. As above, I've been in dozens of bearings, a lot I imported from Japan with the tell-tale spots all over the arm of extremely damp storage, and yet not a bit of rust or oxidation in the bearings. Further, rust being what it is, it's readily apparent if bearing performance is impact by rust vs. load resistance. The former exhibiting rough/sticky travel.

Technics may have not used lubricants (I don't know... Do you?) but previous owners might have.

I do know. They didn't. Previous owner is possible, of course, though the arm that showed the most resistance was NOS.

I wasn't quoting John word for word or I'd use a citation - I was just illustrating the case so I can point to the flaw. In essence - it was accurate.

You're comprehending what he wrote quite differently than I am. Quotes don't require cites.

I was positively impressed with your outcome b/c you had no outcome despite preparing a good experiment. You had the sense not to draw an impossible conclusion.

I assure you, had I dropped 10mg on one of my arms and gotten the results John did, assuming I felt no rough or uneven movement as signs of rust/debris/bad lube/etc., I would have drawn the EXACT conclusion he did. My next step would've been to disassemble and infect the bearings to determine the issue.

Whatever John did, whatever information he collected (no idea what that might be or how) he did not prove anything regarding the bearing clearance. He did not even have the means to measure and record any experimental behavior in a quantitative fashion. His experiment is of zero useful value and offers zero valuable data. Any reference to this as even a remote proof of factory bearings clearance inequality is misleading. I appreciate you are probably aware of it but it appears some of the other participants in this thread lack the ability to break this down to facts and I don't think John is doing anything other than adding to the confusion.

Have you been in to arm bearings? Repaired them? Adjusted them? As I person that has and does, there really isn't any need to measure Johns experiments, and the videos are more than adequate in showing the gross issue with his two arms. If you know what you're seeing and you know how the arm should behave, what he presents is absolutely valuable data.

Part of the issue here may be your belief that these arms are precision adjusted with instrumentation. I'd love for that to be the case, but I've never seen a single shred of evidence supporting that.

I'd like to note and make it clear: It's not inconceivable that factory bearings do differ in clearance. My point is - it hadn't been proved. Not by a long shot.

It's a practical impossibility that they don't differ. Clearance is set by the course-threaded pin, which shifts in a very meaningful way when the locking collar is tightened. Occam's razor applies that the bearing adjustment is the likely problem, and there's certainly no data that proves that isn't the case.

As for me, I have absolutely no interest in collecting further information on Technics bearings. This is not my argument to prove and it's not a subject I care for. You're not pinning this on me. My constructive contribution is in debunking ridiculous propositions and keeping this forum different and critical as opposed to it's many a teenager and DJ wannabe's counterpart forums.

Sadly that's not the message you're delivering. Constructive would be something along the lines of 'Hey John, can you determine that there isn't any rust, dust, or any other factor aside from bearing adjust impeding the movement of your arm?' The existence of a ridiculous proposition is your opinion; clearly one I, and others, do not share.

I fully understand adjusting tonearm bearings isn't for everyone. If you're not mechanically inclined, able to understand the finer details of how this stuff works, dexterous, able to formulate ways to determine proper adjustment and movement, etc., then this isn't for you. Similar to not approaching a dock faster than you're willing to hit it, to not take something apart unless you accept that it may not go back together, people need to make their own determination of their capabilities and what risks they accept.

@WaynerN, thanks for being thought-provoking, as always. I'm out.
 
And how many times is Tom going to show up and piss on the path. One of my fields of study was psychology, and you are fitting into a catagory.......time for a short letter.

Dear Tom (A.K.A., tnsilver),

The entire AK website is filled with people on adventures. They tinker, make discoveries and post finding that they have made, at least for them selves. Readers of the blogs can take part by putting in their impressions, or they can just read the threads, or they can dismiss the thread and move on. You continue to make your point, (tho you really don't present any evidence other then opinion), and elevate the act of adjusting a pivot to the point of a super hero, highly trained technician/designer. You and your superior knowledge mock us mere mortals to a point of shame. How dare we attempt such a feat, and worse, proclaim it to the world. Worse yet, it might actually be true.

Yes, almost anyone can tackle such a feat. They might not get it right the first time, I didn't. But after a few attempts, I found the happy clover field.
According to you, I would hardly qualify to pump gas at a (full service) gas station (not in Oregon(illegal)). You have also thrown a good many other thread readers under the bus, proclaiming that they too, have no skill at such an attempt.

I didn't know how to ride my first bike when my dad brought it home. I saw the "training" wheels on it and thought that was wrong, so I asked my dad to if they could be taken off. He did, I jumped on the bike, wobbly took off, and never looked back.

There are many people here at AK with excellent knowledge of a turntable, they also have skills. They themselves can decide if such an act is within the skill level and choose to or choose not to pursue it.

It might pain you to know that I have adjusted every tonearm in the house. Their performance or value has not diminished, but rather increased, as the table's performance has increased. BTW, I use a blank disc to set my anti-skate. I'm sure that will make you tremble........

I still love you because you are a human being, and a member of the AK family.

Your pal,

Wayner
 
Last edited:
The thread title may be overstated inasmuch as a table with perfect bearings would probably see another tweak (mat, clamp, etc) as the best ever. But with bad bearings, it makes sense.

This thread started interesting, then descended into an all out ego war. Pity, the subject hardly deserves such chest beating.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom