• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The HEAVIEST of the monster receivers

Regarding the Onkyo TX-8500MkII, weigh the physical unit as opposed to going by the owners manual, its always possible that the info in there was printed before they actually reached the final production specs.
 
Which takes the cake?

type LBS.

Updated
MCS 3125.............55
Fisher RS-1080......72
Pioneer SX-1250....64
Pioneer SX-1980....78
Marantz 2600........60 :yuck: Why was this one so light?:nono: :no:
Concept 16.5........67
Yamaha CR-3020...82
Technics SA-1000..87
Pioneer SX-1010....54
Rotel RX-1603.......73
Hitachi SR-2004.....56
Sansui G-33000.....104 Its not really a reciever though.:no:
Sansui G-22000.....93
Kenwood KR-9050..??
Sansui G9000........60

Somebody help me fill in the missing #'s. The 3020 only has ONE tranny(why?), but its SO heavy and weighs 20-30lbs more than the marantz. Yes, the 2600 is deadly sexy, but why so light?:headscrat

Of all of these, i'd say that the yamaha, the concept, and the sx-1250, and the g9000 were built the best.

Marantz is always lighter than others with the same Watts Per Channel. My Marantz 2330B is much lighter than a Pioneer D7000 I had long ago. I gave it away to a neighbor. I was thinking the Pioneer SX1980 would be the heaviest because it looks super heavy. Seems many monsters are heavier.
 
Regarding the Onkyo TX-8500MkII, weigh the physical unit as opposed to going by the owners manual, its always possible that the info in there was printed before they actually reached the final production specs.
I have 8 and don't have room for any more.
 
Regarding the Onkyo TX-8500MkII, weigh the physical unit as opposed to going by the owners manual, its always possible that the info in there was printed before they actually reached the final production specs.
Along those lines, some (many, most?) receiver weights shown as official weights may be shipping weight, which is always heavier than the actual weight of just the receiver.
 
The nice thing about Marantz is even the most powerful versions are usually lighter than the Pioneer's. Picking up a Pioneer SX-1280 will make you burst a seam and vent warp plasma. Picking up a Pioneer 1980 is best done with a muscle bound friend. My Marantz 2330B I can handle alone even with my cerebral palsy.

An unexpected heavy receiver is the Onkyo TX 8500 MKII. That heavy pup had me calling for my brother from another mother. The Sansui G-9700 and Hitachi SR-2004 ain't light either.
 
My old Onkyo TX-8500 MKII weighed just shy of 64 pounds- all the weight was in the back half of the case so I carried it with the face pointing forward... glad I never tripped !

My Onkyo M-508 amp only weighs 55 pounds, but it is awkward to lift as most of the weight is on the left side (both of the big transformers and two smaller ones are on the left side). My Parasound A21+ amps weigh 72 pounds, good thing they have bid handles on the back...
 
Last edited:
The Sansui G22000/G33000 are technically dual chassis separates.


Along those lines, some (many, most?) receiver weights shown as official weights may be shipping weight...

I don't think that's true. Unless shipping weight is stated, published figures don't include packaging.
 
Right now in the workshop are two heavyweights, A Pioneer 1010, and a Marantz 4100. Both are more than I can carry any distance. It was more enjoyable when I was dealing in Advent 300's
 
The older I get, the heavier they all feel! My Yamaha cr-3020 feels as if it weighs double what it actually does. I hate even thinking about lifting it anymore.
 
Came across a tech who weighed a 33000 and it was 94# straight up. Shipping weight was the other, me thinks.
Oddly, the larger Japanese amps were constantly under reported. A Sui 2301L here is over 100#, despite an 83 pound claim. Onk 510 is 160 actual, not 139. Dunno why.
 
Back
Top Bottom