• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Marantz family tree...

I’ve been wanting to get a Marantz 22XX for awhile now. I know nothing of the Marantz line and been trying to figure out the family tree. Of the 22 series I see… 2210, 15, 16, 18, 20, 25, 26, 30, 35, 38, 40, 45, 50, 52, 70, 75, 85… And then there are the B variants and a BD, Chatsworth CA. and Sun Valley CA.. Phew!!.. Did I get them all? I know the number is the wattage, 2245 is 45 watts per channel but thats it. How do all these models relate? What years where they made? Etc.. Etc.. I’m leaning for a 2245 or a 2275. But what about 2240 or 2270?... I get confused.. This is probable an obvious question to some of ya but I’m trying to make since out of the different models when I see them come up.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think they're pretty much all solid performers,when I was still working we had the boss's old 2252B in the cabinet shop collecting tons of dust and being abused daily by cranking it way up so we could hear it over the table saw and other equipment while wearing earplugs lol.
That poor old receiver has done that duty for 25 years now without a hitch,probably has an inch or two of dust inside it,can't believe it hasn't caught fire heh heh.
I have a 2240 at home that I bought used for $140,it heads up my budget system and I've gotta say it's once sweet sounding unit for what little I have spent.
:thmbsp:
 
Not ALL Marantz receivers, were made equally well.
I owned two Marantz, 30 wpc receivers.
A Marantz 2230, and an old Marantz 27.
The Marantz 2230 is considered one of Marantz's better, low powered units.
The Marantz 27.....well.....you put a leash on it, to go outside.
Lousy, problematic power supply, that Marantz never got right?
While the 2230 is still in my possession, the 27 is probably doing artificial duty reef by now.

Steve
 
Not ALL Marantz receivers, were made equally well.
I owned two Marantz, 30 wpc receivers.
A Marantz 2230, and an old Marantz 27.
The Marantz 2230 is considered one of Marantz's better, low powered units.
The Marantz 27.....well.....you put a leash on it, to go outside.
Lousy, problematic power supply, that Marantz never got right?
While the 2230 is still in my possession, the 27 is probably doing artificial duty reef by now.

Steve

My 27 is doing just fine thank you. It's never been worked on and sounds really good in the traditional warm Marantz way. I also have a 1060 and 1200 integrateds and can tell you that the 27 within its power rating sounds just as good. Maybe I got an exceptional unit dunno
 
True!

Maybe we should start a Marantz nudie thread. Then one could easily see, which are of better build quality and which arent.

I was pretty disappointed by the 2252. :thumbsdn: 2270 and 2245 are much better.
 
Still lovin' my serial # 2896 1200 Integrated after all these years! And the 1120 Integrated I grew up around as well. Nice build, heavy, solid, easy to fix and diagnose..even for a guy like me!
 
Thought you'd like that. Its become my bible for Marantz so to speak. :)

I really like the CR-820 in your avatar. It was my first vintage piece and then I got a Marantz. Night and day differences but I still love listening to the Yammie just a different style.
 
Well, I am not the expert, but I have the feeling, that at the later models, like the 2252 Marantz began to build them cheaper than before.

Of course that does not mean, that they sound worse. But they are just chaper made. Not so much shielded, too.

In the 2245/2270 e.g. everything has its own board. On the 2252 you find the phono pre on the switch board and the tuner cap is also much simpler. The lamp housing is made of plastic instead of metal. Just for example.

Some people might think (me included) that the 2252 is better than the 2245 or 2230, because it has a higher number. I think thats not the fact and you cant get it with the numbers.

So, i find the idea of the Thread opener very good, to sort them in a family tree. The 2230, 2245 and 2270 is family, I think. 4300 and 4400 too. I dont know the others.

2245:



2252:



Sorry, I have no pics from underneath. But its the same here.

:beerchug:
 
Last edited:
IMO, the best 22xx receivers are the 2275, 2250B, 2265B, 2265, 2285, and 2285B. The 2275 or non-B 2285 are my best picks. The 2285B has dual core filters that are NLA.
 
Back
Top Bottom