• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Mistreatment of Vintage Audio

I have one to add: One time at my ex-wife's apartment, I found that she was using one of a pair of speakers I had built myself as a stand for the overflow catcher of her bottled water machine. I about freaked, and took it off her hands immediately.
 
Personally I dislike seeing any audio gear abused, whether its vintage or modern. It should all be appreciated...and used for its intended purpose. Playing music!

Regards
Mister Pig
 
I have a friend that has Klipschorns for pool speakers. Yes they are "covered" by a deck above them, but seeing my holy grail out in the weather hurts me a bit every time I see it. They are his, and I gotta tell ya, the big ass Khorns make for a KILLER pool party speaker.
 
I once did a closed fist hammer punch, ala fonzy, to get the relay to click closed.
LOL

Way back in the good ole days i had a dynakit 120(yes, i built it) that developed an intermittent that i lacked the patience to chase down, kept an old shoe next to it to beat it with each time that channel dropped. The whole scenario failed to meet the approval of some of my audionerd friends, i probably kept that amp in use much longer than i otherwise would have since i found their annoyance and discomfort, and general disapproval to be fairly entertaining.
 
anthropomorphizing a thing that has no feelings and in essence can't be mistreated may be one of the first signs of a hoarder

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:

It's just industrial 'stuff'- we keep making more and more - we'll be up to our armpits in rubbish if we start thinking about 'saving from the dumpster', 'rescue', etc.

OT- sorry, but I scratch my head when people who take unused and unwanted electric organs are told that they shouldn't 'part it out' to make something useful. We don't have room for all our industrial products of the past 200 yrs.

If you don't change the oil in your car, it's probably stupid, but it's not 'abuse'!
 
anthropomorphizing a thing that has no feelings and in essence can't be mistreated may be one of the first signs of a hoarder

Wrong. Hanging out on Audiokarma is one of the first signs.
Becoming a subscriber so you you have access to Barter Town is the second.
 
Last edited:
Personally I dislike seeing any audio gear abused, whether its vintage or modern. It should all be appreciated...and used for its intended purpose. Playing music!

Regards
Mister Pig

I try to respect and take care of everything I own, not just my audio equipment. I just don't see the point of buying something then abusing it. OTOH some things like dirt bikes and quads are neglected by not being abused a bit. Neglect there is not keeping them maintained & repaired.
 
anthropomorphizing a thing that has no feelings and in essence can't be mistreated may be one of the first signs of a hoarder

It is rather odd. I'm of the opinion that inanimate objects are incapable of being mistreated. What's next, ads on TV to save audio gear, like those schmaltzy dog commercials? Pioneer receivers with big sad eyes? WTF?
 
My dad's friend has a Marantz 4400 in his garage hooked up to some junky small black speakers. I still don't think he believes me that they sell for $500 on eBay when I told him.
 
It is rather odd. I'm of the opinion that inanimate objects are incapable of being mistreated. What's next, ads on TV to save audio gear, like those schmaltzy dog commercials? Pioneer receivers with big sad eyes? WTF?

I was thinking...

nom-nom-truck.jpg


:D
 
The worst abuse of all is that my stereo died and sits unfixed after 15 years while I spent every dime I own sending myself and three children through college.
 
Dude I had a buddy in high school back in the 70's that had a Sansui ba5000, ca3000 and Altec 19's in the loft of an old barn....that was the coolest place ever! We used to party up there frequently and he would make your ears bleed with that system. He definitely abused his system and went through many pairs of speakers before he got the 19's
 
It is rather odd. I'm of the opinion that inanimate objects are incapable of being mistreated. What's next, ads on TV to save audio gear, like those schmaltzy dog commercials? Pioneer receivers with big sad eyes? WTF?

No but we ought to start a "save the consoles" movement.:banana::yes:

I'm being serious here.
 
I don't know, my lack of hostility? Geez. No- having a woman around that wants you to keep gear instead of unload it.

that's a good thing My wife pretty much lets me move things in and out as long as the Goodmans stay in the living room. Though I have thought about selling them a few times
 
Don't think it's any of our business how other people use THEIR stuff. Not all vintage gear sounds good or is particularly worth having around. The big mistake is thinking that just because it's vintage it's the bee's knee's. It's not.

Bingo.:scratch2:
 
Since everyone thinks most vintage audio is fair game when it comes to abuse, I know you all would draw the line if the equipment was TOTL, ie a Sansui 9090db driving Soundesign speakers in a mechanic's garage downtown.

With that in mind, I just witness some abuse of a Dual (brand) tape deck, a Nak Dragon and a very nice Denon TT with a pizza on the platter tossing the tonearm up and down on "Sixteen Candles." Maybe that sort of abuse draws the line.

Seriously, someone pulled "this is a free country" card? Last time I posted a video of 80s Fisher speakers being abused and someone threw a hissy fit about it.

It doesn't hurt to educate someone on how to properly use high quality vintage equipment. If you have a bunch of vintage equipment collecting dust, isn't that considered hoarding?
 
Back
Top Bottom