• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The much maligned DBX speakers

Vinylmasters

Super Member
Sitting here listening to a DBX (DAK) speaker system - the DBX DB-SW15 subwoofer, a pair of Soundfield II speakers I'm using as 'sats' (which sound better than the original DBX 3x2LS sats) along with a DBX XB140 amp that was designed for them. I'm pumping it through a Sony STR-AV1070 (a very clean 120 watts per channel), and it really isn't bad at all. I get the 'quality' aspect, but with a decent amp, it really isn't anywhere as bad I as I thought it would me. A tad 'middy', but still very clear and plenty 'warm'. Why such a bad knock on these? I've heard a lot worse, that's for sure.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not bad but not great either. I always thought they didn't live up to DBX's reputation for high end and professional gear. Especially when they started selling in the DAK catalog.
 
Not bad but not great either. I always thought they didn't live up to DBX's reputation for high end and professional gear. Especially when they started selling in the DAK catalog.

You can't put them in the big leagues, but for an 80's working man 'high end'? They ain't *that* bad. I remember selling these cheap 'Gemini' speakers and such back in that era that were just gawd-awful. These run circles around them anyway. They seem to sound better on a 'dirty' amp oddly (I tried em with a newer Sony receiver - forgot the model, but it's not as clean as the other Sony, but a 125 watts per). The tweeter's on these - and even the woofers - seem to be lacking a bit in quality however. Kinda 'middy', with the 'air' being in the bottom only on the cleaner amp. Love the cabinets though. Wish I knew more about speaker building to match some good components to the cabinets.
 
You can't put them in the big leagues, but for an 80's working man 'high end'? They ain't *that* bad. I remember selling these cheap 'Gemini' speakers and such back in that era that were just gawd-awful. These run circles around them anyway. They seem to sound better on a 'dirty' amp oddly (I tried em with a newer Sony receiver - forgot the model, but it's not as clean as the other Sony, but a 125 watts per). The tweeter's on these - and even the woofers - seem to be lacking a bit in quality however. Kinda 'middy', with the 'air' being in the bottom only on the cleaner amp. Love the cabinets though. Wish I knew more about speaker building to match some good components to the cabinets.
Evey once in a while the"Thunder Lizard's" come out for sale around here, they all need refoams. They must have sold a few because they are still popping up. They are going anywhere from 500 bucks...from the uninformed seller...to 40-20 dollars.
 
Evey once in a while the"Thunder Lizard's" come out for sale around here, they all need refoams. They must have sold a few because they are still popping up. They are going anywhere from 500 bucks...from the uninformed seller...to 40-20 dollars.

Yea. I have the 6" sub and sats and they needed re-foams too (and that one is not good at all). The bigger set is in really good shape still however. You HAVE to have the amp to get any decent sound from them (and the bigger set is the same way). I think I have some Realistic 8" replacements and soft dome tweeters here I never used. I'm thinking about popping them in just to see if it sounds a bit better. Or more insulation (hopefully that quiets the 'boomy down somewhat as well).
 
Yea. I have the 6" sub and sats and they needed re-foams too (and that one is not good at all). The bigger set is in really good shape still however. You HAVE to have the amp to get any decent sound from them (and the bigger set is the same way). I think I have some Realistic 8" replacements and soft dome tweeters here I never used. I'm thinking about popping them in just to see if it sounds a bit better. Or more insulation (hopefully that quiets the 'boomy down somewhat as well).
If you got the time and the parts why not? You never know what you can come up with. Those big DBX's have always been interesting. DBX is interesting as a company.
 
If you got the time and the parts why not? You never know what you can come up with. Those big DBX's have always been interesting. DBX is interesting as a company.

That's the idea! I used to run a refurb/closeout electronics store years back. The company made a huge deal with KLH for scratch and dent speakers. We sold truckloads of them dirt cheap. Many of them we rebuilt starting with good cabinets so I have some experience there anyway lol. Still run a KLH 6" sub (NO idea what the model number is, but I sure wish I knew. This is one heavy duty sub that's a true as can be) with KLH AV-1001 sats. Not the most efficient speakers, but clean as can be without the harshness.
 
Back
Top Bottom