• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The mysterious Technics SL-D205 and my first turntable purchase.

kompulsive

New Member
Does anyone here have any experience with the SL-D205 table? I haven't really been able to find very much information about it. There is one for sale locally, here is a picture of it...

SL-D205

sl-d205.jpg


It looks like it is in pretty nice shape. I think I'm going to pick it up along with an SL-5200 and an SL-DD33 which also appear to be in very nice shape. Pictures below.

SL-5200

sl-5200.jpg


SL-DD33

sl-dd33.jpg


sl-dd332.jpg


sl-dd333.jpg


The seller of the SL-DD33 is asking $35. I still need to make offers for the other two tables. What do you guys think? I'm just looking for some general guidance as this will be my first turntable purchase.

Cheers,
Kyle
 
Register to hide this ad
Are you buying all three? If so, why? The 33 is interesting if you want to fool with P-Mount carts? Of the other two, I'd be way more interested in the 5200 if it's running within spec? It has a much nicer arm. You can always get cartridges and such later :)
 
I think that the Technics SL-D205 is the same as the SL-D202, except for that extra light in the back left corner.
I once had a SL-B205 which was a SL-B202 with the extra light.
 
Are you buying all three? If so, why? The 33 is interesting if you want to fool with P-Mount carts? Of the other two, I'd be way more interested in the 5200 if it's running within spec? It has a much nicer arm. You can always get cartridges and such later :)

So skip the SL-DD33 and get the other two?
 
Depends on how they are working? If the speed is stable and the arm moves freely and correctly, that's the one to get.

I was just speaking of which one has the best potential if it's running well. To me, that would be the 5200 :)

The 33 is P mount. There are good P mount cartridges out there and set-up is a snap as there are no adjustments. They are dead on once mounted. The only downside is the smaller number of good P mount carts available nowdays.
 
I'd agree. If it is working well, the quartz-lock SL-5200 is the best of the bunch, based on original MSRP if nothing else.
 
I also agree, the SL-5200 looks very tempting to me. The other 2 are ok but I would focus on the 5200 if working well :)

The 33 is more recent vintage but I would still go with the 5200
 
Thanks for the advice. I still may grab all three. It looks like there is a p-mount Grado Black. Depending on what shape the table is in, it may or may not be worth the money.
 
Don't worry about the cartridges. You'll need at least a new stylus which is most of the cost of a new cartridge.

Buy all three. The arms are fine on all of them. Believe me it doesn't hurt to have more than one tt, especially when you can probably get them all for less than you were going to pay for an AT-PL120. If there's a problem with one, you've got backups. If you find you like one more than the others and you can't stand having the others around you can resell them.
 
the 33 has a non-adjustable tracking force. it looks like a typical counterweight, but it does not turn. i gave one to my pop. it looks good, and plays okay, but it is bpc. the cart on the 5200 looks like an empire 2000 series. if so, nice cart. the d205 is just like my d202, but with the light (which is kinda cool), not a bad table, but not great.
 
Back
Top Bottom