• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Mystery Stereo Cabinet with a Philips 212 and an Electro-voice E-v1144

cscottrun4it

Active Member
We're cleaning out my father in law's house and I was asked if I want a hand made stereo cabinet that was originally an apple wood chest of drawers.

I started going through the equipment and was stunned to find a Philips 212.I won't be able to try it out until I get back to Colorado.

And that leads me to my questions:

I was able to recreate the set screws for the plinth. But the arm is still attached. What's the best way to secure this for a 1,200-mile trip in a minivan?

Also, I'm not sure how to get the head off the tone arm. I would normally pull the head to protect the cartridge and stylus. Is that possible on this model?

Also, what cartridge should I expect to find when I get this apart?

Now for the mystery equipment. An Electrovoice E-V1144 is built into the cabinet. I can find nothing about this amp on line except that it is rated at 50 watts? That seems unlikely. I assume the amp is solid state and does not generate a lot of heat. (It's in a cabinet.) Any info from anyone would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 17807794913706955988074755669211.jpg
    17807794913706955988074755669211.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 49
Register to hide this ad
We're cleaning out my father in law's house and I was asked if I want a hand made stereo cabinet that was originally an apple wood chest of drawers.

I started going through the equipment and was stunned to find a Philips 212.I won't be able to try it out until I get back to Colorado.

And that leads me to my questions:

I was able to recreate the set screws for the plinth. But the arm is still attached. What's the best way to secure this for a 1,200-mile trip in a minivan?

Also, I'm not sure how to get the head off the tone arm. I would normally pull the head to protect the cartridge and stylus. Is that possible on this model?

Also, what cartridge should I expect to find when I get this apart?

Now for the mystery equipment. An Electrovoice E-V1144 is built into the cabinet. I can find nothing about this amp on line except that it is rated at 50 watts? That seems unlikely. I assume the amp is solid state and does not generate a lot of heat. (It's in a cabinet.) Any info from anyone would be appreciated.
Can you remove the platter? Always better to transport with it off. The arm can be tied to the arm rest with a bread tie, counterweight should be removed. If there's really more concern with things inside moving i might put a towel lightly under the cover.

If the platter can't hit the arm, and the arm can't move, and the platter can't bounce around or off, it's pretty safe.
 
As to the amp...in the late 60's my first own stereo receiver was an Electro-Voice 1179, and your amp looks just like her, excepting the FM tuner. Low wattage. 15 watts maybe, however they rated. Did sound sweet with Realistic Solo-1 speakers.

So...look in RadioShackCatalogs.com, maybe 1966/67, also I think the same creator has an Allied Radio catalogs website of some sort.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom