• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The new standard of excellence: new music

mrt2

Super Member
So, there are some here who claim newer bands don't live up to the "standard of excellence" the old guard set in the 60s and 70s. I think this is wrong on many levels, as I can think of many bands that emerged in the 80s, 90s, and 00s that have set a new standard of excellence.

Here is the challenge. Without repetition, nominate one group or individual who emerged in the late 80s or later who has either matched or set a new standard of excellence in rock or popular music. I will leave the standard open to interpretation, and will leave it up to you to define what standard of excellence means to you. It could be a high level of musicianship, songwriting, breaking new ground musically, or producing a new classic album or large number of singles, or a combination. The artist should at least have produced 5 studio recordings, without a clinker or significant dip in quality.

I will go first:
The Decemberists - Over the decade of the 00s, Colin Meloy has set, or at least matched the standard for lyric writing over the course of the Decemberists cds, the highlights in including Castaways and Cutouts, Picaresque, Crane Wife, and Hazards of Love. Musically, the Decemberists seem to have absorbed and synthesized everything from English and Irish Folk to 70s Hard Rock and Progressive Rock, to REM, and one of their songs can include all of these elements.

They also have shown the ability to do catchy singles and album length statements, like their recent concept, Hazards of Love.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've been digging Midlake of late. Love the combination of acoustic instruments with vintage synths.
(oops, missed the bit about 5 albums, they only just released their 3rd)
 
I love everything by "Belle and Sebastian." At turns folky, poppish, rocking! Above all the songs are incredibly tuneful, hook-laden, and written with real craft and polish. They must be due for a new LP pretty soon. By the way, I think all of the B & S releases are available on vinyl. Great band...
 
I love everything by "Belle and Sebastian." At turns folky, poppish, rocking! Above all the songs are incredibly tuneful, hook-laden, and written with real craft and polish. They must be due for a new LP pretty soon. By the way, I think all of the B & S releases are available on vinyl. Great band...

:thmbsp: I have 2 of their releases. Great stuff.
 
I believe the Black Keys qualify, some of the best blues-rock out there, of about any time or decade. I have three albums of theirs, and the overall quality is rock-solid, even individual songs have no low points. Pretty excellent, especially for only two people playing:yes:.
 
Plenty of great new bands out there. You just got to find them.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The albums Howl, Baby 81 and the newest release Beat The Devil's Tattoo are excellent. In fact, all of their albums are excellent.

The Decemberists
I concur with Mrt2. A most excellent band for whom I had the pleasure of seeing in concert last summer. Great, great performance. I really like the new album The Hazards Of Love for which I have on vinyl. Grab Picaresque and The Crane Wife also and you will not be disappointed.

Supergrass
Life On Other Planets. Excellent Brit power pop band. Love this music. Explore them all but start with this one first.

Super Furry Animals
Phantom Power. Another Brit power pop band who are making excellent music. All of their albums are worth exploring. Start here first though.

Muse
The Resistance. This could be a love/hate relationship. I really dig this band though. Lots of Radiohead influences.
 
These are relatively recent, and haven't yet put out 5 albums each, but I do not forsee a clinker.

Mika
Architecture In Helsinki
Ben Folds
Of Montreal
Animal Collective
 
What I like about these threads is that I am now going to have to listen to some new groups catalogs with a bit more of an open mind. I liked the Decemberists, Crane Wife CD, but have not explored them other than that. Will make a point of searching some out.

I can not really get into Belle & Sebastion, BRMC, or Muse. I might just not like anything that seems pop or radio friendly.

If I had to pick some groups that have come on the scene since the mid 80s that I enjoy they would be.

1. Patricia Barber
2. Lucinda Williams
3. Wilco
4. Medeski Martin & Wood
5. Tortoise

Are there some clinkers in there, yep, but then I can not think of many groups from the 60's & 70's that didn't produce some stinkers too.
 
Tindersticks. I love each of their albums since their debut in '93.

I'd listen to them over anything that came before, but thankfully I don't have to. They were influenced by much of it, though, which is how it should be. Great music influencing those who make greater music.
 
2 of my favorite bands already mentioned: (Belle and Sebastian, The Decemberists)

also great music being made by:

The New Pornographers
Kings of Leon
Arcade Fire
 
These are relatively recent, and haven't yet put out 5 albums each, but I do not forsee a clinker.

Mika
Architecture In Helsinki
Ben Folds
Of Montreal
Animal Collective

I guess this rules out Lady Gaga! In all seriousness,I think White Strips might make the list.
 
Back
Top Bottom