• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Appreciation Thread

Ingo

Too Poor For This
Listening to my near-flawless 2-LP copy of Will The Circle Be Unbroken v.2 this morning and I feel the need to give props to a great group of musicians who really just cared about music above anything else. With the Will The Circle... albums they brought together the old guard of bluegrass and acoustic music with the new generation of players (at that time) and really made some eternal sounds.

A lot of their earlier stuff ventured more into folk-rock territory and their later stuff was mainly radio friendly country. In between they went down all sorts of paths. I wish there was an equivalent of these guys in these times. If you know of one, please let me know.

For a good sample of all of their different sounds I would listen to these tracks:

Buy For Me The Rain
Ripplin' Waters
Some of Shelly's Blues (Mike Nesmith)
Mr. Bojangles (Jerry Jeff Walker)
House at Pooh Corner (Kenny Loggins)
American Dream
Modern Day Romance
I've Been Lookin'

I think their greatest contribution are the Circle albums, but I can listen to anything these guys did at any point in their career and I love it all.

Anybody else?
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't really have much interest in most of their stuff, but Circle was a milestone in American music history, and remains a classic recording.

1351352784061.jpg
 
Will The Circle Be Unbroken is damned near single-handedly responsible for rekindling interest in bluegrass among college kids in the early '70's. A terrific album. It was constantly in rotation during my college years in SW Virginia, and still gets played quite a bit nowadays.
 
You can get all three "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" releases in one convenient box for $38 on Amazon.com. That is a deal.
 
I have all three Circle releases on CD, love them all but listen to the second one the most.
I have seen them live twice, once late 70's and then again about ten years later.
Big Fan.
 
That's a rather esteemed array of "roots" musicians/artists listed @ the left side of the cover. I have a copy of the original LP, but haven't listened to it since (probably) the mid 1980s. I'm interested in listening to it, but @ this point it would be (far) easier to find & pull down a digital version than dig it out of my stored LPs.
 
Saw them in Concert at a High School football stadium in OKC in 1973. They were absolutely awesome. I think they were playing backup to Linda Ronstadt
 
Love the early stuff from 1967-1968. Buy For Me the Rain was such a great and under appreciated song from 1967. It was unique and unlike anything else on the radio during that time.
 
Back
Top Bottom