• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Official Elcaset thread!

I think as everyone knows Top End Japanese Hi-fi Is a Joy to Own and Use..........pity those times have gone
 
Hi Gary,

Glad to be of assistance, I like you have received plenty of help over the years, so it's nice to be able to give something back.

Tony
 
...Please post pictures,... to do with Elcaset here. ...

Sorry for being (4 years) late at the Party. Here are some pictures.

Japanese magazine cover from 1976 showing SONY, TEAC (prototype?) and Technics (prototype) elcaset decks.

elcaset%2520Japan%25201976....jpg


JVC LD-777

JVC%2520LD-777.jpg


WEGA E4950 (SONY rebadge)

WEGA%2520E4950.jpg
 
Wow! 4 years late this maybe but what a fantastic bit of Elcaset history, I never knew JVC had dipped there toe in the Elcaset pond.

Thanks Very Much for posting this

Gary
 
Last edited:
I wonder if a 3d printer could be used to make new tape housings for these neat decks

Load the new housings with reel to reel tape
 
Wishes do come true, having started off with the EL-5 and thoroughly enjoyed its performance and excellent build quality, An EL-7 was sent to me from a guy who wanted it sorted out as it had been fiddled with, the recordings were all over the place, as I was going through the machine I was relaying the information to the owner as regards possible price and things to do, When it arrived the courier company had obviouosly dropped the box on one corner and smashed the glass in the cassette door...........he wasn't happy and then asked if I would buy it from him as is, I knew I was taking on a lot work but how could I refuse an EL-7, so it became mine.
He supplied me a belt kit for it which turned out to be for an EL-5!!! bah! El-7 kit ordered, a long time spent stripping the machine to get the glass out and some sort of oily film that had coated everything.
Then strip and clean up the transport and re-lube it, I fiddled around with felt for the brakes but in the end settled using the old drive belt which is 1mm thick the brakes work perfectly now with no creep when in the pause mode, having sorted out the mechanism I replaced the power supply and decoupling caps with Panasonic caps and put a few Elna silmic 2 caps in the audio paths, replaced a VU bulb and the tape counter knob as this was missing.
serviced all the switches and controls with switch cleaner.

Then out with the Sony big book of words to try and set it up, every pre-set had been turned etc.................It took a long time using my old Elcaset tapes from years ago to set the replay levels the rest was signal generator and meter work.
This took some time to do but I got it there responses up to 25k on ferric and ferrichrome, the sound is perfect rock solid and great, I then checked the settings two more times, I needn't have bothered as the machine came up to spec each time.
Now having achieved all this I have had some thing nagging at me ever since I heard about from a guy in New Zealand (tony) about an alignment tape a guy there makes up for these machines.......................arghhh I bought one and am waiting for it to arrive, yes I know I did it arse to tit but hey ho I will see how good my alignment is, and also I will have one for any future use.

I read on an Elcaset website that the guy who runs it makes up his own elcaset tapes, he uses tape from a 7" 3600ft spool of tape, so I bought a Maxell UD 18-180 reel of tape of ebay to see how well it works, I have a spare EL-5 transport that I can rig up to wind the tape into the tape housing so It should not be too difficult.

So there you are one very happy and excited EL-7 owner.

I could post pictures but I am sure you have all seen insides and out of an EL-7

Good day to you all

Gary
 
Last edited:
Hi All,

Great story Gary, I will be very interested in your thoughts on the GennLab tape (http://www.gennlab.com/elcaset.html), I have the SONY L-9-MR Test tape, brought a few years back but as yet not used (or even played) the test tape.

So keen to compare the two test tapes once I get started on re-capping and re-aligning these great machines.

Tony
 
Yep,dreaming! I won a near mint,fully serviced Technics RS-7500 just before Christmas for around £365 (a few pages back) via Ebay UK. Although,it's a rare deck... much rarer than the Sony Elcaset's.
 
I almost bought one from the hifi store in the mall. I put $5.00 down on it and when I went back to pick it up found out they sold it on me. And a short time after that the store closed. Lost my 5 bucks.
 
Test Alignmnet Tape

Hello I bought one these to check the settings on my Sony EL-7.
And I don't know what to do?
According to this test tape my record and replay head are out of azimuth, now I have many Elcaset tapes bought from around the world and on the whole the azimuth on these matches my machine.
If I set my heads to settings on test tape it incompatible with every tape I already have, and it wont fully erase the left hand channel.
So do I stay with my old settings or go for the recommended settings on this tape
GRRRRR I dunno wot to do :-(

Gary
 
Hi Gary,

Where are you at with the GennLab tape? I am at the stage where I am about to start some serious tinkering with my EL-7, so keen to hear where you are at.

Tony
 
Hello Tony

I haver left the test tape settings as they are on my machine now.
I will come back to it another time, unfortunately I have started other jobs so do not have the time to do a full blown re-set/check session.
I am thinking the erasure problem, on the tape I was using might be nothing to do with my re-setting the machine.

Some time I ago I fitted a Sony 4 track head from a Sony reel to reel to a EL-5 only to find that the reel to reel 4 tracks are slightly wider than the Elcaset 4 tracks, hence the elcaset not being able to erase them all, and I think this tape was one I recorded on this set up. arghhh why do I fiddle:thumbsdn:

So this is the present state of play

So good luck Tony

Gary
 
Fiddling

Hello Tony

Having realised that the tape I was using need a normal 4 track reel to reel to erase it all is well now having done that

I have decided to leave all the settings I made with the Gennlab reference tape as they are I am happy that the Gennlab are correct.

I will be interested to see how you get on with the test tape on your machine, if you find the same as me, ie. the azimuth is out according to the test tape then we are both in the same boat.

If on the other hand you find your azimuth matches then my machine was a one off out of alignment one.

Gary
 
Chrome Elcaset Tape

Well not quite, I bought a 7" spool of TDK EE SA type tape, my intention is to wind this into an Elcaset case and for the first time try out the chrome setting on the elcaset:banana:

I know I will only get about 30 mins a side due to the tape being 35 microns thick, but no worry

It will be a huge pity if it works really well, as far as I know TDK did not make 18 or 25 micron thick version of this tape.
So will be stuck with at best 60 minute tapes.

I am not disappointed with the two tape types at all in some ways I prefer the LH ferric tape for some music and Ferrichrome for other types, you get to such a high level of performance with this system that you can become picky about what tape suits different music best.

Anyway I shall let you know how I get on but it will be a while, because I am into other fiddlings at present:D

Garyt
 
HI Elcaset friends .........
My Teac Al700 don't know why he do not auto stop. The light sensor is still work. Please help me!
 
Here's a tape cassette format from RCA that o didn't know existed. Runs at 3-3/4 ips, stereo or mono, and looks like it even predates Phillips' cassette.
 
Hi folks,
Just discovered that there are two versions of the Sony Elcaset Demonstration Tape, a single sided pre-recorded one labeled with the catalog number CD7 (YGST-11),and the other, recorded both sides, catalog number YGST-12
Did they have different demo tapes for different models, or did they supersede each other, really curious!
 
Back
Top Bottom