• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The oldest automatic washing machines that you've seen working

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
What are the oldest automatic washing machines that you've seen in working condition in the last 3 years? Old automatic washing machines aren't a new hobby of mine, but my curiosity cames from the fact that my "old" was machine (bought in 2004) must be replaced with a new one 'cause the electronics card haves problems... And I do really hate electronic apliances that last less then 10 yrs (that's why I usually like old stuff!)

Now some old washing machines Made in the U.K. (didn't know that in Britan they made so fine washing machines, either by theyr one brands, or by forieng brands)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OksHblHDij0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqS7AiuDV4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4ZhoFvOkc&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so-N72MQmi0&feature=player_embedded
 
Register to hide this ad
Not an automatic, but a friend of mine has a 1940s Maytag thats been his family's backup washer for many years. Whenever a washing machine dies, out comes the old Maytag. He had it in his house running last I was over there, about a year ago. Its an electric washer, but it requires that you manually actuate each step in the cycle. It also does not have a spin cycle, it uses a wringer to squeeze clothing dry.

About 4 years ago, my grandmother replaced her early 1970s Sears Kenmore washer and drier for new ones. They both still worked, but she had gotten tired of the dark brown color after nearly 40 years. I gave them to a friend. The belt on the washer needed to be replaced, but that was it. He left them at that house when he moved out though. He later told me he regretted that because the drier worked really well.
 
Last edited:
Not really "old" (by my standards) but our GE washer has been a daily driver for 26 years. I did replace the motor about 18 yrs ago, but other than that no issues.
 
When I was an appliance tech I worked on some washers that were 25 - 35 years old. Most of them were Maytags that were handed down from Grandmother, to mother, to daughter. Just replace a few parts every now and then and those old Maytags just kept on going.
FWW, most washers now have a life expectancy of about 8 years and I think the manufacturers purposely build them to last that long.
 
Automatic washing machines had no electronics in the 1950's. They had a mechanical timer that opened and closed switches according to the program desired. They were really pretty basic. The top loaders that were near universal in the US until a few years back, have 3 modes (4 if Whirlpool/Kenmore): Fill, agitate, spin-drain. Generally, the motor just reversed direction to go from agitate to spin, and the fill was just opening a water valve until a sensor told the thing the tub was filled.

Automatics became popular in the US after World War II, with the huge economic boom and the move to suburbia. I'd say by 1960, they likely were outselling manual/wringer types by a large margin. Oddly, the automatic dryer took longer to catch on, despite being a simpler device....

Like everything else, they were very expensive, but mass production and competition brought the cost down fast.
 
I know that the '50's automatic washing machines didn't contained no electronics. Mechanichal timers where used at Romanian made automatic washing mashines in the '80's and even into the '90's.
But I was curios about the electronics of automatic washing machines made in the '80's.
Why in U.S.A. people preferd top-loading automatic washing machines and they prefer to keep theyr washing machines into the basement (if they are living in houses).
 
I've never liked front loaders. Dont really have a good reason for it, but it seems to me you can't fit as much in them. That, and when I was a kid we had a front loader that leaked horribly and it would have a river of water running from the washer over to the corner of the basement.

The basement thing is probably because its basically considered to be extra space, and rather than give up space in the bathroom or somewhere else in the living space, they go downstairs. Also, its partially a safety thing. If the washer breaks and floods, it goes to the sump pump instead of ruining the flooring. I hate washers in the basement. Not only are they are huge pain to get in and out of the house, you have to haul laundry up and down the stairs all the time. My knees aren't much good and me and stairs are not friends.
 
Back
Top Bottom