• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"The OTHER CDR's CONSOLE" Part DEUX.......

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
As some of you may recall, THERED1 in 2012 picked up a YOKOHAMA HI-FI CABINET Co. manufactured 3 piece console in Asian Motif. See this link, https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-other-commanders-console.434643/

and this thread
https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/console-alert-dc-fisher-for-35.434546/
for full Details.

The "ORIGINAL" The Commanders Console link is HERE...... https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-commmanders-console-pt-1.223270/

I just made a deal with THERED1 for the cabinets and all guts except for the AR3's.
FISHER TX-300 Solid State Integrated (1965-66)
AKAI Model 345 nc R2R Tape Deck
Dual 1019 Turntable.

Everything has been in storage for the last 8 years, so it's all gonna need some going over. The plan is to clean up and re-coat the cabinets, and at least check out and repair the guts as needed. The AKAI will be going back in the cabinets. I have options for the integrated and tuners (all FISHER)
1.) TX-300 & FM-100-C 1st Gen FISHER Solid State Int Amp and Tube Tuner. Not really crazy about running 1st gen with Germanium Transistors. I'll have to look at it 1st and see. Cosmetically it's very good.
2.) X-101-B & FM-100B or KM-60. ALL TUBE.
3.) X-202, FM-100, and MPX-100. ALL TUBE.

BUT lets get it home 1st and then see what's what.

Original Drawings. Note LAB-80? And he went with a 1019.
CDR Console 1.jpg

CDR Console closeup.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
That's great. I remember the days when a console like that was the center of the entertainment center, maybe a B&W TV on top with one of those infrared remotes that clanked every time you pushed a button and there were only (in NYC) channels 2-13 (2 was CBS, 4 was NBC, 5 was WNEW - no FOX yet, 7 was ABC, 9 was WOR, 11 was WPIX) and 13 was public broadcasting, WNET I think.
 
Last edited:
Thornev,

For me it was Kansas City, MO, mid-1960s, and 4 was NBC (WDAF), 5 was CBS (KCMO-TV, now KCTV), 9 was ABC (KMBC). Then along came KCSD-TV (public, now KCPT, PBS) on channel 19. Other UHF channels were to come later on.

Remote? I was my father's remote control. "Put it on 9! (most of the shows he watched were ABC)" "Put it on 5! (Gunsmoke)" "Put it on 4! (Bonanza)"

Sorry for going off-topic, Larry. On-topic question: You mentioned "re-coating" the cabinets. Do you plan to use lacquer or some other material?
 
It's HOME. Dirty, but in very good shape. The finish isn't as bad as all that. It needs a heavy duty bath. The top has some scratches down to the wood, I'm gonna try some KIWI Black Paste shoe polish (color hide and wax) on it and hit it with a buffer after it's clean. That should fill the tiny grain cracks in the finish and cover the scratches, plus shine it up. If it don't test a spot with lacquer thinner to see if it is actually lacquer. It almost looks like some kind of semi gloss black enamel, but not certain. It could be lacquer topped too. We'll see. All the panels are with it for the R2R, and the phono, but Red couldn't find the front baffle plate for the TX-300/TFM-300. No problem cutting one, I may end up cutting multiples one for the X-202 & 101-T, one for the X-101-B/FM100B combo and one for the TX-300/FM100-c. Pictures later.
 
PICS. I just placed the gear in the cab after 1st cleaning to see what it looked like. The TX-300 and the FM-100-B were sitting on DVD cases in approximate locations. The front baffle for these is missing, so I'll get a piece of 1/2" hardwood plywood and cut to fit, then cut the holes. Luckily, the X-202, X-101-B, TX300, and the tuners all have the same size chassis width and height wise. So I only have to cut one.

The 1019 cycles without noticable slowdown when hand spun and with the lift up. It sets down on 12-10-&- 7inch placements and returns nicely at end. But I'll bring it up on variac starting at 75V and just run the motor up to 120V. Need to find my 10 series long spindles.

The AKAI is a BALL BUSTER. EVERY BIT of 70-75#. Tons' of PIO's and Axial lytics in the preamps, power supply and switching networks. It ain't gonna be cheap replacing all of these.
Note the Owner/Service manual (original). I've seen some threads/posts on DIYAUDIO and other places that tell of the impossibility of finding one, to the point one guy swore there were only TWO in the whole country. (HEY GUYS! I've got the 3rd one.................ROFLMAO!) SERIOUSLY THO. When I get a Chance, I'll scan and have it put in the AK Database and HIFIENGINE.com. And how many owners have the RC-11 AKAI wired remote for the R2R. This is the 2nd deck I have the remote for. My GX-370 is the other Deck.

The FM-100-B is sitting back as it's rear feet are over the back edge of the support brace. The TX-300 is sitting about where it's supposed to.

20200725_193518_resized.jpg



Tape Deck Accessories Akai splicing tape, Kanazawa Tape Splicer, Akai Tape cleaner, Original 345NC Manual, and AKAI RC-11 NIB
20200725_193526_resized.jpg

Small box is the 50Hz pulley. The Headshell is for a LAB-80
20200725_193538_resized.jpg

Dual 1019 with SHURE V-15 (No Suffix!)
20200725_193548_resized.jpg


FISHER TX-300 on Top with FM-100-c underneath. Whichever ends up putting out more heat, will end up on top. The tuner is Tubed
20200725_193556_resized.jpg

AKAI 345-NC 7" R2R Tape Deck.
20200725_193623_resized.jpg


SPKR CAB's. AR-3 sat in top 1/2 originally. If I can fit my Heresy's they'll go in otherwise KLH-17's. Note the LP Storage under the spkrs, and the turntable in the main cab.

20200725_193638_resized.jpg

Next cleaning Murphy's oil soap. If it doesn't get the rest, then DAWN is getting a shot.
 
The TX-300 shouldn't get too hot (compared to the tuner) but, as I'm sure you know, that heat has to be dissipated because the TX-300 is sensitive to heat. The entire output stage for both channels combined will put out approximately 13 watts at idle. Not much but it can't be allowed to build up.
 
Ok, so in the case of the TX-300, it'll go on the bottom with the tuner up top. With the full tube setup's either/or. At this point I'm not going to put the TX-300 in until it's been fully gone over. Overall it doesn't look like it's been used much. Variac and a DBT on it for the 1st couple of lite off's to prove out operation. Then full restore. The back of the gear compartment is wide open with plenty of area for natural convective ventilation.
 
Last edited:
So after getting a piece of Maple plywood @ Lowes, I cut out the Front baffle plate for the Amp and Tuner. Test fit fine. Big DIRTY CONTACTS in the TX-300 so that and the FM-100C are sidelined for the time being. I installed the X-101-B and the FM-100B. Connected antenna, a pair of Minimus 7's for testing, and the DUAL. The DUAL can stand some cleaning, but runs perfectly. The Shure V-15 cart and needle are in good shape, although I'll probably ask Santa for a new one for Christmas. I do have that V-15-III I use on the SL-1200 available. I put the variac on the AKAI (my variac has a 15A ammeter also. I brought it up from 0 to 120 in 10 minutes per 10 volt increments. Adjustable voltage selector set for 120. After 45 minutes @ 120V all the can's and caps are cool, I do need to do some serious cleaning of the heads, demag them, and replace 1 lamp behind the meters. 3 motors (and not those little Tinker-Toy jobs in later mid 70's stuff) and boy do they TORQUE! Brakes are good, tires fair.

Gotta go up to the Storage shed for the KLH 17's and the Klipsch KG-2.5's. Either set will fit in the cab's, but the KG's need open in the back for the passive woofer.

The paint is I'm thinking a Semi Gloss Enamel. NOT Lacquer. Any recommendations for paint??? It's a Blue Black, Not Brown Black. The top is all scratched to hell and back so it'll need some sanding. The rest is just touchup's on edges, and where the door catches hit the frame.
CDR CONSOLE.jpg

Larry
 
Thanks Bruce. I have a can of KiWI laying around, I may take and see if it'll hide a lot of the top scratches enough to get by, until I save up some $$$$ to have the cabinet Re-Finished.
 
subjective opinion, I think the tube gear looks better anyway.

as for paint, this sounds odd, but Rustoleum actually works really well on wood. Might need to fool with the tint though. Thin it slightly and it flows better. XO-Rust from True Value also works well, and is slightly thinner to start with.
 
3 coats of Kiwi Black shoe polish (none of that Candy assed, snowflake liquid Kiwi crap), a little Water and an old T-Shirt later, covered up about 80% of the paint scratches and darkened those that didn't cover up. Acceptable results. Got the KLH-17's out of the storage unit and into the cabinets. Now for Brasso on the main handles. (maybe give them to a Marine to Shine. LOL!)
 
Larry D, beautiful console. And superbly built and engineered to be good enough to have put Avery's own name on. Superb rescue and restore.
 
Thanks Ron. Plan is to replace the "TV" / Stereo stand with this and put the 60" TV on top. DVD Player & Laptop for streaming Disney + and Spotify, plus cable box. Found out there is a Leaf switch at the back of the Turntable plinth on the main box. Works a small lamp (probably a C-7 type.) No bulb in it, so gotta figure out voltage then get a couple lamps. Be nice to see lp's in the dark or semi dark.

The AKAI needs some work.......lamps, counter belt, clean up, etc... Nothing major yet.
 
Had to pull out my GX-730 R2R. The 345nc's playback head has too much wear on it (grooves on the outer edges, deep too.) to play. I'm thinking about just leaving the 345nc in place and putting the GX-370 out of sight but accessible. Any way I got the sucker into place and hooked up everything except for the 345nc. The basement is a mess right now, still going thru stuff from 3 households but WE GOTS TUNES!!!


20200731_143600.jpg

For you guys in the S.F. BAY Area I found a tape I made in 1970 (April 8 to be exact) of the "Excursions in Stereo"(this is from when James Gabbert owned the station and they were experimenting with Discrete 4 Channel for the F.C.C.) broadcast from 8pm to 10pm on K-IOI (K-101) 101.3 (now STAR 101.3) and was listening to better times, not the garbage they play now. It's got a lot of drop outs, but I remember making it in Fairfield Cal. with Dad's help on a Silvertone Tape Deck. I couldn't remember exactly in April I made it but it was shortly after my 15th Birthday. I narrowed it down to the eighth from the newscast, where they stated that the Academy Awards had been the night before.



20200731_175243.jpg
 
Last edited:
Wow, that's a great piece of your history to have, Larry. I just took my TEAC A-3440 4-track tape deck out of storage and can't find any of my tapes, darnit.
 
Back
Top Bottom