• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Possible Return of Western Electric US-Made Tubes

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Could be interesting:

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/jun/23/western-electric-plugs-into-rossville/

"Now, Western Electric has been resurrected. Its headquarters are in Rossville, Ga., at 410 Chickamauga Ave. in a four-story, 65,000-square-foot former Wachovia bank. The once-vacant building was adorned about three weeks ago with distinctive red-lettered "Western Electric" signs on its east and west sides.

The Rossville operation will make vacuum tubes mainly for use in high-end audio components.

...

Whitener wanted the Western Electric name and approached AT&T to get it.

"It took me two years to talk them into it," he said. "It helps because of the quality associated with the brand."''​
 
Register to hide this ad
That is cool. I expect that he is going to strive for the highest quality, but I also feel that they may be a lot pricey
 
Since WE tubes were 90% proprietary, I wonder if they will continue in that direction or go with mainstream models?
I doubt there is enough interest in 300B's and the like to make a go of it otherwise.

..
 
Since WE tubes were 90% proprietary, I wonder if they will continue in that direction or go with mainstream models?
I doubt there is enough interest in 300B's and the like to make a go of it otherwise.

..

I've done a bit of Googling, and it appears that at one time, he bought a controlling interest in several Russian and other tube factories overseas, as well as being HQ'd in Kansas City, where he had a bunch of vintage original W-E tube-making machinery (but not all of it, apparently). There are some photos of him making vacuum tubes there with some guys who used to work at the factory showing him how to do it.

I am no expert; just read about this story this morning. Perhaps other AK'ers know more about the owner and the story than I do.
 
Boy do I have my doubts about how soon this will happen. The supposed resurrection of Western Electric is second only to the son of god in terms of how long people have been waiting.

Also, is it Western Electric in name only or did they buy all of the old parts that the former reissuer of WE 300b had in stock. That reissue actually used parts that were made by WE long ago.
 
I thought Westrex owned the WE name. Who has been making 300b's in limited runs for the last 10 years? Westrex itself, a government contractor, was supposed to be a spinoff of AT&T in the '90's. Am I missing something here?
 
I thought Westrex owned the WE name. Who has been making 300b's in limited runs for the last 10 years? Westrex itself, a government contractor, was supposed to be a spinoff of AT&T in the '90's. Am I missing something here?

Looks like maybe same guy.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2006/10/23/95200/Westrex-Corporation-Chooses-Chattanooga.aspx

Westrex Corporation, a maker of electronic components and systems, plans to redevelop the former Combustion Engineering Administration Building on Riverfront Parkway through a $12.4 million investment projected to create 30 family-wage jobs.

Charles Whitener, Westrex’s president and CEO, has structured the project to foster technical innovation both within his company and among other companies in the Chattanooga region, officials said.

Mr. Whitener stated, “We plan to use part of the building to establish Westrex’s new research and development center. The rest will be allocated as incubator space for either startup or emerging technology firms.”

Westrex has been in Huntsville, Ala., for four years. It previously was located at Kansas City for seven years. The Huntsville operation will be phased out.
 
announcements about WE and Westrex showed up in Audio Express Magazine about 2007, right around when the recession started to take hold. i suspect its been a long uphill struggle but kudos for the effort.

Probably now, with the economy and real estate starting to pick up, he's finding a better work site and maybe demand is picking up. If you've got a $100,000 piece and it sells, more power to him.

Would love to see any WE tooling that he's using to make tubes with.
 
announcements about WE and Westrex showed up in Audio Express Magazine about 2007, right around when the recession started to take hold. i suspect its been a long uphill struggle but kudos for the effort.

Probably now, with the economy and real estate starting to pick up, he's finding a better work site and maybe demand is picking up. If you've got a $100,000 piece and it sells, more power to him.

Would love to see any WE tooling that he's using to make tubes with.

http://www.westernelectric.com/history/tour01.html

charlieassemblysm.jpe
 
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1998/0126/6102046a.html

"Whitener made an intriguing discovery. Sitting idle in a corner of a sprawling AT&T plant in Kansas City, Mo. was WEs old 300B factory. Some of the original tubemaking equipment was still intact. Whitener bought the machinery.

AT&Ts intellectual property division was willing to license the name. In October 1994 Whiteners new firm, Westrex (another old AT&T name), signed a license in exchange for a sum in the low six figures.

Those negotiations, however, took time, and so did Whiteners efforts to lease the old 300B factory in which to manufacture his tubes. It was a year before AT&T agreed to lease the original building."
​
 
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/1998/0126/6102046a.html

"Whitener made an intriguing discovery. Sitting idle in a corner of a sprawling AT&T plant in Kansas City, Mo. was WEs old 300B factory. Some of the original tubemaking equipment was still intact. Whitener bought the machinery.

AT&Ts intellectual property division was willing to license the name. In October 1994 Whiteners new firm, Westrex (another old AT&T name), signed a license in exchange for a sum in the low six figures.

Those negotiations, however, took time, and so did Whiteners efforts to lease the old 300B factory in which to manufacture his tubes. It was a year before AT&T agreed to lease the original building."
​

Wow, that article is 15 years old.
 
Is there any talk about actually producing tubes in the US? I was under the impression that environmental regulations here make the process unfeasible.
 
Since WE tubes were 90% proprietary, I wonder if they will continue in that direction or go with mainstream models?
I doubt there is enough interest in 300B's and the like to make a go of it otherwise.

..

A lot of the "lack of interest" would be due to the outrageous prices the 300B fetches ... $700+ for one NOS premium tube? I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy.

Get some new decent production going, and I imagine you'd see a lot more restoration and new builds using them. After all, there IS a reason for their popularity and fanatical support.

I just hope WE doesn't go the same as some of the other "resurrections". Anybody remember what happened to Sansui? Fisher? Etc?
 
Resurrections are fine but it has to be about more than just nostalgia. Their products need to be unique (in quality or longevity for example) or fill a niche not being served now, not just price. With all the people making 300B's, that is a tall order. Wish them good luck - they are going to need it.

On the other hand, someone could make a pretty business bringing back the 10Y, the 50 and some other thoriated filament tubes. They may attract unwanted attention from the big boys in China and Russia however.
 
It's my understanding that the KC operation was moved to Arkansas, at least for awhile. It hasn't been that long ago that they made WE300Bs. I actually thought they still did.:scratch2:
 
Resurrections are fine but it has to be about more than just nostalgia. Their products need to be unique (in quality or longevity for example) or fill a niche not being served now, not just price. With all the people making 300B's, that is a tall order. Wish them good luck - they are going to need it.

On the other hand, someone could make a pretty business bringing back the 10Y, the 50 and some other thoriated filament tubes. They may attract unwanted attention from the big boys in China and Russia however.

WE 300Bs are still made last Ive seen, but they are limited production and were $900+ per pair last I checked. I believe Tube Depot sold them, and they went fast when in stock. Ive seen a few new stock 300B reviews the past few years, and according to those, theyre neck and neck with KR 300Bs. Chances are, people like you and me may not buy them, but there are plenty who will.

EDIT: Here you go, new production WE 300Bs, complete with a fancy box http://tubedepot.com/we-300b.html
 
Back
Top Bottom