• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The price of concert tickets today.... What's your take?

$50 is my limit! Too many young and hungry artist out there doing amazing shows for $25-$30 in small 150-400 seat venues.

It's mainly nostalgia acts and the boomers paying big bucks for concert tickets.
Lets face it a typical teenager doesn't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to spend on a few hours of entertainment.

When I was growing up in the late 70's making $3.25 a hour.
Concert tickets were $6.50-$10.00 or the equivalent of 2 or 3 hours of minimmum wage.

Not to get political here but the fact that artist are able to charge these kind of prices and folks are willing and gladly pay them is indicative of the mass income inequality we hear so much about.

Also it is indicative of the current state of the music business in the digital age.
While it was predicted that Napster and file sharing would be the doom of the music business.
The reality is that it is streaming services that has killed artist royalties.
Why buy a album or even a single song download on iTunes for $1.29 when one can have access to the entire Apple catalog of 50 million songs for a monthly cost of only $4.99 student.. $9.99 individual or $14.99 for the entire family?

At one time the acts that are now getting these IMHO stupid ticket prices once could count on record sales and royalties from their back catalog of music. Example Led Zeppelin IV was my favorite album growing up. I bought the LP , 8track tape to play in my car then I bought the cassette,CD and finally the MP3 version. So I purchased and paid for that recording 5 times as playback formats changed.
(" I won't say that quality of playback improved") But the artist got the royalties as a steady stream of income over the years.
Those days are over.

So if artist music sales and royalties are quickly drying up as fast as puddle of water in Death Vally's summer heat
Inflated ticket and merchandise prices and sales have become their alternative income source.
Seriously $50-$75 concert T-shirts?

It is a free market so people are free pay or say no way!
Me, I am in the "I saw them when them were young and in their prime with all the original musicians that made the music I love for $10"
"Sorry no way I am paying hundreds or even thousands go dollars to see a bunch of old rock stars prance around the stage( Make that a video screen) trying to act like they did when they were in their 20 and 30's" Often with bands with only one or two original members.

It is much like the high school prom queen. I would rather remember her at 17 and beautiful than go to my class reunion 40 years later and see that she is now 300 pounds and has grown old, fat and ugly just like me! LOL
Rock and Roll has always been and should aways be a young persons game.

That my opinion as always I could be completely wrong and just another old fart longing for the glory days of my youth.
Cheers
PQ
 
The price of tickets make my head spin, like in the video. I can't take it, so I;

 
Don't go to concerts anymore.I'm not a cheapskate but rock stars,actors and sports figures are way overpaid.
Yes, I'm with you there 100% Don. There's no need for an artist that is lucky enough to be born with magic fingers and a musical/lyrical brain, to be paid ridiculous amounts of cash for displaying these specific talents. Just because the market will bear it, is no reason to extort maximum payment from loyal fans.

And the exact same goes for actors and sports figures. 5 or 10 million a year is a ridiculous wage for throwing a f*****g baseball around. That goes for all the sports.
Just sayin'.

Dave
 
Last edited:
So many city sponsored concert events (including Taste of Chicago) charge admission now. It's refreshing that the venerable BluesFest is still free. With the many side stages in a park setting along the lakefront it truly is an iconic experience. Wander around with a camp chair and self provided refreshments and you are good to go.

On my radar this year is Charley Musselwhite and Bobby Rush on Fri night.
Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore on a side stage Saturday evening (Awesome!)
My new favorite internet sensations Larkin Poe are a late addition opening the main stage on Sunday evening... stoked about this one

I'm so glad the politicians have yet to corrupt this pure celebration of the genre.


https://wxrt.radio.com/chicago-blues-fest-2019-lineup
 
@PureQuill: I have to disagree on one point.

One can not just decide to be a pro sports player, rock star or virtuose on the violin. Some people defininately have a talent that not all have.

Some have to work hard for years until they make money with their talent (if ever), and some, for example, perform one song, that they probably didn´t even write, and are multi millionaires.
 
I agree about athletes being overpaid. The amount of grip some of them make is insulting and disturbing. As far as artists are concerned I think if you put out a piece of music that folks connect with and feel the need to spend their money on it and also spend good coin on concerts tickets then you deserve every dollar you make....look at it this way....where would any of us be if there were no music to listen to? :dunno: I for one think great musicians are worth alot more than someone who can throw a football 60 yards. Just my 2cents..DG
 
2 posts deleted - its not about you guys OR your families' talent,
its about "supergroups" and major athletes and such who pull down the big bucks.
So, no more personal sniping at each other, a gentle warning - be friendly here!
 
Heck, the first time I saw The Who (June 1970), tickets were $4.50, 5.50, and $6.50 at Merriweather Post Pavilion - soon to be a Junior in High School!
I surely would not pay today's prices for 1/2 the original band!
No Keef, No Ox? No show for me!
 
Heck, the first time I saw The Who (June 1970), tickets were $4.50, 5.50, and $6.50 at Merriweather Post Pavilion - soon to be a Junior in High School!
I surely would not pay today's prices for 1/2 the original band!
No Keef, No Ox? No show for me!
Things have definitely changed over the years. I hitch hiked to San Francisco from Minnesota to see Quicksilver Messenger Service and the Grateful Dead at Cow Palace back in '68 or '69. Six hour show for $3.00.
 
The CSO is a concert, the Rolling Stones is a show. ;-)

Anyway, i just looked at the CSO website to see ticket prices and it’s difficult to find prices for individual concerts, evidently they’re more interested in selling “subscriptions”. So I said to Hell with it.
 
I have to say this thread is timely for me. I have been trying to see more shows these last few years and price has a lot to do with who I go to see. I just can't afford spend hundreds to see some of these acts, that's my yearly budget!

The good news is that there are plenty of great shows out there for under $50 a ticket. Usually these shows are from artists who are making new, relevant music and not just cashing in on their past work. I'm sorry, but it's just not exciting for me to watch a huge screen with some washed up dudes playing the same old retreads that I can hear on classic rock radio 3 times an hour. :no:
 
I have to say this thread is timely for me. I have been trying to see more shows these last few years and price has a lot to do with who I go to see. I just can't afford spend hundreds to see some of these acts, that's my yearly budget!

The good news is that there are plenty of great shows out there for under $50 a ticket. Usually these shows are from artists who are making new, relevant music and not just cashing in on their past work. I'm sorry, but it's just not exciting for me to watch a huge screen with some washed up dudes playing the same old retreads that I can hear on classic rock radio 3 times an hour. :no:

Agree :thumbsup: Earlier this year we seen We Banjo 3 band from Galway, Ireland that plays a blend of traditional Irish, old time, and bluegrass music they call Celtgrass. $30 a ticket and you even got to meet the band during intermission as they were helping sell their own concert items. The band played at a small local college venue near us. We really enjoyed this event as much as concerts we paid a great deal more to see.

The local audience (my age group) was really surprised (not me, streamed on Tidal) at how good the group was.

 
I can't even remember what the concerts I went to cost. Pretenders at Jones Beach 1984 maybe 20 bucks? Live Aid I do remember, which was 50 clams, but we were WAY back. Would love to see like Juliana Hatfield in some small club. But I can't imagine today's kids spending 300 bucks to see Katy Perry lol.
 
It was the mid 70s and my friends and I saw Heart, Rush and the Doobie Bros. all at one afternoon concert. I seem to recall that tickets were in the $10 to $15 range. Try pulling that off these days. It sure was a different, better time in my estimation.
 
I'm sending teenage stepdaughter and her adult sister to see Shawn Mendes for $86 plus fees in good seats in an arena. The expensive seats were over $400. The cheap ones $66.
 
Back
Top Bottom