• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The price of concert tickets today.... What's your take?

I started going to concerts in the late 60s, paying $1, $2, or $3.50 for major acts.
The most expensive concert at that time was the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which was $5.50 or $6.50 IIRC. The most expensive show I paid "recently" for was $90 for McCartney at Citifield 10 years ago. I won't pay any more anymore. Prices are definitely stratospheric. Not too many band/performers left that I want to see live anymore anyway.
 
If you think concert tickets are high, check out baseball.

Actually, around here, at least, going to a a baseball game is about the cheapest game in town, in terms of entertainment. Cheap seats at PNC Park to see the Pirates are still cheaper than a full-price movie ticket on a weekend night, and they are always running some sort of cheap food promotions (like dollar dog nights, etc.)--and it is still geared to be a "family-oriented" event. PNC Park is a beautiful venue, right on the rivers downtown, and has been used as a model by many other new MLB parks. It is also readily accessible via public transportation, which is a huge bonus.

Now go to one of the major concert venues, a Steeler's game at Heinz Field, or a Penguin's game at PPG Paints Arena, and hang onto your shorts. Tix are outrageous, parking is even worse $$$, and there is always a bunch of drunken morons "tail-gating" outside then brawling inside the venue--not a place you necessarily want to take the missus and kids.

I have clients that are season ticket-holders, and they will give me "free tix" to games at least a couple times a season, and even with not paying for the tix themselves, two of us will still burn through $300 in the matter of a few hours.

Back in the day (as a poor college student), a whole gang of us from my fraternity would go "camp-out" for concert tix and buy as many as we could possibly afford, and then scalp them to pay for our trip/night at the concert.

Don't have the patience or interest to do that any more, but I have a "new game". If I go to one of the large outdoor venues, I'll just take a carton of Newports and a carton of Marlboros with me--by the end of the night, people are begging to buy a pack of smokes for $25-30. The venues won't permit their vendors to sell cigarettes, and if you leave during the show, you can't get back in (stub or no stub). Like "shooting fish in a barrel" LOL. $150-160 in cigarettes can get you an easy $500 by the end of the night.
 
My take is....

For the price of some of these concerts you could go purchase vintage receivers or speakers and listen in the comfort of your own home without crowds of drunk & rude a-holes.... ..
And then you don't have to pay all that money to listen to the crowd try to sing the songs that you paid good money to hear the artist sing..... That pisses me off I didn't pay to go listen to a crowd of drunk people sing along with the music
 
Reading thru this thread again there seems to be a common sentiment, it happens to be the same I notice on a lot of threads... "Get off my lawn" is the way i see it, not that it matters but it is pretty funny. If you don't like the current atmosphere of live shows don't go. I for one still enjoy it, have a blast every time and don't mind paying the going rate if its a show I want to see. Of course I am not seeking out the "Greezers on stage shows" either.

Or we can sit around and bitch about it, thats fun too :rolleyes:

:beerchug:
 
The Geezers live on stage model seems to be "we really don't need the money and if I'm going to get out of bed for this then you are going to pay".

Instead of that, I'm getting into younger groups who are still trying to make a name for themselves and more fringe acts. ****, you don't have to look that hard to find an awesome show.

Stoned and Dusted show is in California and a 2 day pass with camping is less than tickets to see Justin Timberlake for God's sake.

Claypool Lennon Delirium is touring and Tix were $40 for the New Haven Show.

King Buffalo is ending their NA tour but there's tickets for $12 at the last few shows

Sleep is touring, got Tix for Albany, NY for $35.

Wooden Shjips is playing a few NA dates coming up.

Dropkick Murphy's, Clutch, Hatebreed, Amigo the Devil are touring. $50 for tickets.

These are just the shows I've been looking at or went to. There will be more coming up and I'll probably squeeze in one or two more shows with some club shows to fill out the year.

So my advice is open your mind and seek out some new music you like. The shows are still reasonable.
 
Last edited:
The Geezers live on stage model seems to be "we really don't need the money and if I'm going to get out of bed for this then you are going to pay".

Instead of that, I'm getting into younger groups who are still trying to make a name for themselves and more fringe acts. ****, you don't have to look that hard to find an awesome show.

Stoned and Dusted show is in California and a 2 day pass with camping is less than tickets to see Justin Timberlake for God's sake.

Claypool Lennon Delirium is touring and Tix were $40 for the New Haven Show.

King Buffalo is ending their NA tour but there's tickets for $12 at the last few shows

Sleep is touring, got Tix for Albany, NY for $35.

Wooden Shjips is playing a few NA dates coming up.

Dropkick Murphy's, Clutch, Hatebreed, Amigo the Devil are touring. $50 for tickets.

These are just the shows I've been looking at or went to. There will be more coming up and I'll probably squeeze in one or two more shows with some club shows to fill out the year.

So my advice is open your mind and seek out some new music you like. The shows are still reasonable.




Great suggestions. likebike 23!:thumbsup:

There's tons of new talent out there who haven't or prob won't make the big times, but they still put on a helluva performance. Then there's a pool of experienced artists who didn't want to do the "big scene", stay in their job situation, foster solid family ties, playing to the local venues/crowds. For what they lost in capital/fame, they make up with the ongoing throngs who keep coming back, cause they know the performers first hand, and the calibre of music that is going to be offered. Jack de Keyser comes to mind in our area, who can play just about any genre you want from soft rock/ballads/classic rock, but his fav is the blues. Another local is Fred Eaglesmith who puts on another show...and the Downtown Child Blues group, getting a little long in the tooth, but still can still belt out tune after tune. And Lighhouse for another who lost their lead singer, but that sound is still there.

I find the local regional music rags/mags/papers/hand outs are ways to see who's who, and where then events are taking place.


Q
 

Attachments

  • image.png
    image.png
    345 bytes · Views: 0
I have no interest in concerts with large PA systems, basketball courts as venues (or worse), flashing lights, and dance routines.
My place in concerts and music is in recording. I have that to offer to the ensembles. In exchange, I see lots and lots of concerts, for free; except the labor of love that follows, and is likely valued far more than what I'd pay for a ticket, for me, and for the artists.
So, free? I've never asked for compensation. I do my recordings now for non-profit.orgs. Most of what I attend, I'm there with invitation. I'm all too glad to do what I do, as the ensembles that I record can in no way afford to have a "professional" there to do this same thing. So, in the end, I see lots of wonderful live music, my bank account stays stable, and the ensembles get a decent archival recording of the event.
 
I go to 10 to 14 concerts per year, here's a rundown on what a night out on the town cost, so a few months back I went to see Bob Seger here in Los Angeles at the forum. Now I live 60 MIles from the Los Angeles forum. So I have to give myself a three-hour travel time 2 get to the forum because of the traffic. So 2 tickets purchased directly from Ticketmaster and not a third party member was just under $600. The seats we're about in the middle of the price range. Parking was $25.00, two 12 oz well drinks at the bar inside the forum was $42 and that didn't include the tip. I guess the only good part about this story is 2 months ago gas was only $3.50 a gallon now it's $4.50 a gallon
 
Now after seeing tons of bands since about 1980 - I want the most bang for buck. Small festivals with multiple bands sometimes I have never heard of is where its at! Low expectations easily filled, usually meet some great people that also don't like the big shebang. Keep it live but keep it real!
 
Taking in Jesse Cook right now. He's great! showman and talented!

He and Robert Michaels, Pavlo (Greek), Rye Cooder, are some I'd break the bank ($100-$125) to see/hear. But have a weakness for guitar music.:dunno:

I'm sure that there are others out there who have their cloistered fav that they would go that extra, outta appreciation for their unique talent, and to be there to hear them live would want to be there in person to hear/see them perform. There just is a feeling you get to be at a live venue, but not one of the huge ones. At times, these experiences do surpass listening to it in the Cave. But the venue has to be smaller/intimate, with good acoustics...and a crowd who is there to listen!

Q
 
King Buffalo is ending their NA tour but there's tickets for $12 at the last few shows

Sleep is touring, got Tix for Albany, NY for $35.
I am so bummed that I have to be in another state presenting at a conference when they’re going to be in Buffalo. Still contemplating driving to the conference and hitting a later show on the drive home.

Anyway, King Buffalo was $10 when they played here in February. It was a great show. I’ve paid a good bit to see a few shows lately. I paid about $70 to see Nick Mason a few weeks ago and it was worth every penny. But I could have paid half that and sat further back and still had a good view. The theater it was in isn’t that big. But I also saw Ex Hex in a small club in Toronto for $25 CAD, YOB & Voivod for $25, Mike Gordon for $41. Hell, I saw The New Mastersounds for $18 on New Years Eve in New York City, and I’m seeing them for free in a few weeks at the Rochester Lilac Festival.

There’s lots out there. And every one of those crowds was cool and there for the music. Except maybe the NYE crowd.
 
I spent way more $$$ on Joe Bonamassa tickets than I normally do on concerts. I own most of his concert videos (DVD or Blu Ray).
But seeing him live and playing at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville Tn is on my bucket list.

I saw Johnny Lang there in 2006 - it was incredible.
 
IMG_20190429_204511.jpg
We saw these guys at the Veux Carre club in downtown St Paul, MN, last October. One of the best New Orleans Cajun groups in the world. $30 at the bar. What a great show, a small, speakeasy atmosphere with good acoustics. Good music doesn't have to be expensive!
 
The Geezers live on stage model seems to be "we really don't need the money and if I'm going to get out of bed for this then you are going to pay".

Instead of that, I'm getting into younger groups who are still trying to make a name for themselves and more fringe acts. ****, you don't have to look that hard to find an awesome show.

Stoned and Dusted show is in California and a 2 day pass with camping is less than tickets to see Justin Timberlake for God's sake.

Claypool Lennon Delirium is touring and Tix were $40 for the New Haven Show.

King Buffalo is ending their NA tour but there's tickets for $12 at the last few shows

Sleep is touring, got Tix for Albany, NY for $35.

Wooden Shjips is playing a few NA dates coming up.

Dropkick Murphy's, Clutch, Hatebreed, Amigo the Devil are touring. $50 for tickets.

These are just the shows I've been looking at or went to. There will be more coming up and I'll probably squeeze in one or two more shows with some club shows to fill out the year.

So my advice is open your mind and seek out some new music you like. The shows are still reasonable.

King Buffalo is amazing I've seen them three times and are easily worth the price of admission.
 
King Buffalo is amazing I've seen them three times and are easily worth the price of admission.

I made a mistake and bought 2 tickets to their show in Burlington,VT thinking they were playing Brattleboro, VT. Burlington is another 2 1/2 hours more north than Brattleboro, so my friend bailed out. I said **** it and drove up there by myself anyway. I stayed at my cousin's in Stowe, VT that night. I paid for 2 tickets and drove 3 1/2 hours to see them and it was totally worth it. It was an awesome show, they kick ass.
 
Back
Top Bottom