BilboBaggins
Addicted Member
It all started when I bought that copy of Moon Tan by Golden Earring. I had it in the 70s, of course. It was one of the best driving songs up there with Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Highway Star. I purchased a frame for it at Value Village, and I was happy. For a time. Then I got another frame. Hmm, what should I add to this frame? I started looking at Value Village for a suitable record. I found it in Holst, The Planets. Then I found I was actively looking for more records to fill my growing collection of Record Frames. Cleopatra found a star setting in my TV room. Then Tin Tin. And of course, Hair found a starring place alongside the Avengers in the media room. Oh what fun!
Then I wanted to hear them. I had been fighting back against that for a while, but in a moment of weakness, I went and bought a Denon dp-30l. It came with an Ortofon OM10 stylus. I didn’t like it much as I heard all the ticks. But I couldn't believe how good it all sounded together! Way better than I had remembered! So I tried to find the Stanton cartridge and spare styli I had bought in the late 80s in preparation for the demise of records. I never did find them. So I bought one off of CAM. I was in heaven for a while. Visits to the local Value Village became a treasure hunt. And if I didn’t find anything good in the Audio electronics or the Records Sections, I could always find something in the Kitchen Section, or the Tool section. It was all so much fun, and before I knew it, my kids were begging me not to give them any more pepper grinders!
But I digress! I really want to tell you about my records. My collection grew, along with my turntable collection. I have a Yamaha GT-2000L, a Sony PS-X600, a Yamaha PX3, and a Dual 1219 all fully functioning. I also have 2 x B&O 4002s. One is the parts table and the other is ill right now. Another project I haven’t yet gotten to. I have another 3 turntables that I need to repair and move on. A JVC Idle Drive and two Garrard Zero 100s.
I bought a used IKEA Kallax 8 shelf record storage system. I filled it up. I bought a brand new 4 shelf system, assembled it, and immediately filled it up. Then I bought another used 8 shelf unit. And filled it up! Then COVID hit. I decided to spin clean my collection. I think I had a little under 2000 records then. At the same time, I added my record collection to Discogs data base. Cool! Now I could check those records before I bought them to find out if I already had them!
But my record collection kept growing. I would sell off a few hundred every 6 months or so. A year into COVID, I got my Ultra Sonic Record Cleaning system as a Christmas present from my wife. And still my record collection kept growing. Even after I got rid rid of a hundred water damaged records after the flood, it grew. I swear those records multiply at night when I turn out the lights!
Well this winter, in January, I decided to resume US cleaning my collection. I had stopped for a while after the flood. PTSD. I felt so much pain every time I looked at a nice record that was mint, with water damage. I over-came that this winter, and I am happy to say I HAVE COMPLETELY ULTRA SONICALLY CLEANED ALL MY RECORDS! All 2478 of them! I finished last night! Reggae was the last section. Reggae is my thinnest standalone section in my collection, with 93 LPs total.
As I was cleaning them, I was pulling out records that I was going to let go. I didn’t do all that well when I went through my Classic Rock section. I’m going to have to revisit that section. But I did quite well on the classical music section. I easily pulled about half of them! And I still have many more I really like with 193 in that section.
And my journey goes on, as I continue tinning my collection. Space is the issue. I have run out of space here, and as a result, it is impeding my ability to enjoy the music! My OCD can’t stand the disorganized mess. with multiple locations of record storage.
I have a new rule! If I'm afraid to play it on my GT-2000, then I need to let it go. That will take some time to find all of them. Should last me well into retirement!



Please share your vinyl story with us!
Then I wanted to hear them. I had been fighting back against that for a while, but in a moment of weakness, I went and bought a Denon dp-30l. It came with an Ortofon OM10 stylus. I didn’t like it much as I heard all the ticks. But I couldn't believe how good it all sounded together! Way better than I had remembered! So I tried to find the Stanton cartridge and spare styli I had bought in the late 80s in preparation for the demise of records. I never did find them. So I bought one off of CAM. I was in heaven for a while. Visits to the local Value Village became a treasure hunt. And if I didn’t find anything good in the Audio electronics or the Records Sections, I could always find something in the Kitchen Section, or the Tool section. It was all so much fun, and before I knew it, my kids were begging me not to give them any more pepper grinders!
But I digress! I really want to tell you about my records. My collection grew, along with my turntable collection. I have a Yamaha GT-2000L, a Sony PS-X600, a Yamaha PX3, and a Dual 1219 all fully functioning. I also have 2 x B&O 4002s. One is the parts table and the other is ill right now. Another project I haven’t yet gotten to. I have another 3 turntables that I need to repair and move on. A JVC Idle Drive and two Garrard Zero 100s.
I bought a used IKEA Kallax 8 shelf record storage system. I filled it up. I bought a brand new 4 shelf system, assembled it, and immediately filled it up. Then I bought another used 8 shelf unit. And filled it up! Then COVID hit. I decided to spin clean my collection. I think I had a little under 2000 records then. At the same time, I added my record collection to Discogs data base. Cool! Now I could check those records before I bought them to find out if I already had them!
But my record collection kept growing. I would sell off a few hundred every 6 months or so. A year into COVID, I got my Ultra Sonic Record Cleaning system as a Christmas present from my wife. And still my record collection kept growing. Even after I got rid rid of a hundred water damaged records after the flood, it grew. I swear those records multiply at night when I turn out the lights!
Well this winter, in January, I decided to resume US cleaning my collection. I had stopped for a while after the flood. PTSD. I felt so much pain every time I looked at a nice record that was mint, with water damage. I over-came that this winter, and I am happy to say I HAVE COMPLETELY ULTRA SONICALLY CLEANED ALL MY RECORDS! All 2478 of them! I finished last night! Reggae was the last section. Reggae is my thinnest standalone section in my collection, with 93 LPs total.
As I was cleaning them, I was pulling out records that I was going to let go. I didn’t do all that well when I went through my Classic Rock section. I’m going to have to revisit that section. But I did quite well on the classical music section. I easily pulled about half of them! And I still have many more I really like with 193 in that section.
And my journey goes on, as I continue tinning my collection. Space is the issue. I have run out of space here, and as a result, it is impeding my ability to enjoy the music! My OCD can’t stand the disorganized mess. with multiple locations of record storage.
I have a new rule! If I'm afraid to play it on my GT-2000, then I need to let it go. That will take some time to find all of them. Should last me well into retirement!




Please share your vinyl story with us!
Attachments
Last edited:
