• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The Revere Magnetic Stereo Cartridge

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Yet another format doomed from the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwrnGu8gduI&feature=colike

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qx...v=onepage&q="revere stereo cartridge"&f=false

books


I see these cartridges available from time to time on various auction sites. Never knew what they fit until now.

I wonder if they're standard 1/4 inch tape inside, and if so, if they can be repurposed by putting them on standard open reels? Might make them useful again, supposing one did not have a special player for them.

EDIT: Oops, I should have read the article more carefully. Says right at the top - 1/7 inch (weird) and 1 7/8 IPS. Yuck.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
EDIT: Oops, I should have read the article more carefully. Says right at the top - 1/7 inch (weird) and 1 7/8 IPS. Yuck.

Yeah, really! That makes them even more of a close relation to the cassette than I thought. Fidelity must have been below marginal.

The other thing that's really interesting on that page is that - even in 1962 - not only were mono "phonographs" still being sold, but sales were UP!
 
Mono phonographs were still quite common even in the 70's! :yes:

Not around my house! Common maybe, but sold?

Let's see, what did I have in the early '70s?

Dynaco PAS-3, Stereo 70, a pair of University 312 Series 200s (which I still own) in custom cabinets, a TEAC TCA-42, and a Concord CD8-4 8 track deck!

(I think I had some sort of cassette deck by 1972, but I can't remember what it was.)

As best I can remember, I made the leap into stereo in 1959 or '60, with a Garrard RC-80 that was originally mono, rewired for a Shure M7D...soon replaced with a Lenco something-or-other; I realize the world at large was still mono oriented, but I'm still surprised to read that "sales were up" for mono in 1962!
 
Hmm, let's see:

Ceramic (or crystal!) cartridge tracking in ounces, not grams...3 watt (if you were lucky) tube amp with 10% IM distortion...5" single cone (seamed) in an open back enclosure, miniscule magnet...dandy, just dandy.:no:
 
Looked like 3M was trying to boost tape sales. Might have worked except for that price, ouch. Old fashioned CD changer? But I also remember that Stereo records were at least a dollar more than the mono version, and stereo were not usually recommended for mono players, Took a while to really get popular. Around here stereo FM didn't go mainstream until the mid 70s even. We're pretty backward.

Popular record player back in the day:

jimromanocustom45.jpg
 
Last edited:
I played around with one of those in the 70's, it was alot better than you might think and far superior to early cassettes.

The cartridges were very similar to the patriot cartridges used in audio post
production in the early 90's.
 
Back
Top Bottom