• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

the scores you missed......or the hazards of looking at completed auctions

Register to hide this ad
I'm sorry--I just don't get it--I don't see a great deal here that I would be sorry to miss out on. Not "knocking" the table, but for $1500+ shipping, I'll have another LP12 sitting next to the one that I have.
 
you obviously have no idea what you are looking at. but there are those people who will tell you a table with -56db rumble are quieter than -76db. a linn could never compete with this. this sp 10 needs a much better arm. this is a 5K turntables there days. a ;arge majority of records that exist were cut on a particular lathe that happens to be the same company who made this table, it ever has this exact same motor (the lathe) that this turntables has. do some reasearch then tell me thats not a great price.. I know you think it's exactly the same as a 1200, but it is very different: specs on VE I would have posted the linn next to it but even the sales brochure doesn't list them


SP-10 mk3

Motor: brushless DC motor, electronic rectification, quartz-controlled phase-locked servo circuit

Plater: 320mm, 10kg copper/aluminium

Speeds: 33, 45 and 78rpm

Pitch control: 20%

Starting torque: 16kg-cm

Build up time: 0.25s to 33rpm

Braking time: 0.3s from 33rpm

Speed fluctuation by load changes: 0% within 10kg-cm

Wow and flutter: 0.015% WRMS (JIS C5521)

Rumble: -92dB (IEC 98A weighted)

Dimensions: 369 x 113 x 369mm

Weight: 18kg
 
Last edited:
For 1500, I'd get something else, too. Is this a table that sells for 2 or 3 times the opening price, making it well bought if it could have been bought or is this just a table you really want and that price would be ok for you? Seems different folks want different things when a fair chunk of change is the price of admission.
 
Frankly I think it was fairly bought.

Quoting from the listing:

This Technics SP 10 Mk III was the workhorse turntable at a broadcast facility... The system is functional and recently tested, although at times it will run off-speed and may require servicing

My impression is that it was run hard and showing above average wear and tear. Lack of pictures don't help either.

The mkiii designation makes it rare in the US, but the admission of fluctuating speed on a table that bosts dead on speed control would give me pause.
 
Eh ... if nothing else, you get a good idea what the next one SHOULD go for ... or not. Depends on whether the buyer went crazy in the last minute and bid the farm.
 
For 1500, I'd get something else, too. Is this a table that sells for 2 or 3 times the opening price, making it well bought if it could have been bought or is this just a table you really want and that price would be ok for you? Seems different folks want different things when a fair chunk of change is the price of admission.

At that point in time, on that venue, and in that condition we're talking an easy $5K. Complete running units with good cosmetics were fetching up to $9K.
 
this is what I meant. JP nailed it. I'd have bought that for that much, I could get it servced and running and bought the obsidian plinth, AND Technics EPA 100 and be far below the going rate.
 
It's always one thing to be envious - any red-blooded human being will naturally feel like that, especially if they had a fair shot at it - but, the most important thing, is to grow from it... take good note of the market for a particular item you missed and keep your ears open and eyes peeled should a similar deal ever come across again.

I used to belly-ache over stuff like this for days at a time and finally realized all the whining was worthless unless I was able to do something positive with it. And the one thing you have to remind yourself (we all have to) is that deals are constantly out there just ready to be had. That's where the belly-aching time can better be placed.

this is what I meant. JP nailed it. I'd have bought that for that much, I could get it servced and running and bought the obsidian plinth, AND Technics EPA 100 and be far below the going rate.
 
Back
Top Bottom