thomo57
Super Member
I have been collecting:scratch2:
All right I've been hoarding speakers that I've picked up at garage sales etc with the intent of refoaming them.
Well a couple of weeks ago I refoamed a pair of Advent 1's which turned out very nicely.:thmbsp: {First refoam}
I also have a pair of Pioneer HPM 40's which I've ordered foam for.
And a pair of Electro Voice 3 series 2 which have sat in the garage for about 4 years, well the foam arrived for these a couple of days ago and I have refoamed them.
I hooked them up about an hour ago and like the sound very much:yes::yes:.
The tweeters on them had some sort acoustic of foam on them which has long ago disintegrated.
I wasn't really going to worry about replacing it as I thought what could a little bit of foam do:scratch2:
Now bear with me for a second.
I also have a small pair of Mordaunt Shorts which I had moved out to hook up the Electro Voice.
Well when I picked up the mordaunts to replace them a small rubber surround around their tweeter by chance come loose and fell on the floor.
It was like that Eureka moment I looked at them and looked at the Electro voice and thought :scratch2:they would almost fit which they almost did :thmbsp:.
The sound difference with those on is audible
I now am going to replace the acoustic foam.:thmbsp:
Another thing I learned was that I'd never use the rubber based glue for surrounds again.
It's bloody messy and you don't get much time to get it right.
Maybe when I'm more confident I'll give it another go
All right I've been hoarding speakers that I've picked up at garage sales etc with the intent of refoaming them.
Well a couple of weeks ago I refoamed a pair of Advent 1's which turned out very nicely.:thmbsp: {First refoam}
I also have a pair of Pioneer HPM 40's which I've ordered foam for.
And a pair of Electro Voice 3 series 2 which have sat in the garage for about 4 years, well the foam arrived for these a couple of days ago and I have refoamed them.
I hooked them up about an hour ago and like the sound very much:yes::yes:.
The tweeters on them had some sort acoustic of foam on them which has long ago disintegrated.
I wasn't really going to worry about replacing it as I thought what could a little bit of foam do:scratch2:
Now bear with me for a second.
I also have a small pair of Mordaunt Shorts which I had moved out to hook up the Electro Voice.
Well when I picked up the mordaunts to replace them a small rubber surround around their tweeter by chance come loose and fell on the floor.
It was like that Eureka moment I looked at them and looked at the Electro voice and thought :scratch2:they would almost fit which they almost did :thmbsp:.
The sound difference with those on is audible

I now am going to replace the acoustic foam.:thmbsp:
Another thing I learned was that I'd never use the rubber based glue for surrounds again.

It's bloody messy and you don't get much time to get it right.
Maybe when I'm more confident I'll give it another go