• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

The Tripath, T-Amp thread

How about a picture of your system?

cubdog



Here ya go!!

You can see the TWO on the floor...I have it configured as a power amp right now and using my new ASL as a pre :)

Fantastic combination...this pic too was before I got the Systemdek and I was running my trusty old Technics!!

Cheers!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 88
No problem!!

Believe it or not, it powered my Maggies with ease!!!

:D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 58
How 'bout this one? It's got the guts of a 1st gen Sonic Impact T-amp in it. Speakers are Vifa coax (with a real XO in the box). Folks who have heard it have given universally good feedback.

attachment.php



I also have a Lepai running my computer speakers and a Dayton DTA-100 that I swap in and out in the living room now and then. No pics of them right now though.
 
Ray, my favorite thing about that boombox, by far, is the fact that you chose to follow the traditional for of a boombox. You could have made it look way different, maybe even done something easier, but instead went with the "Lego boombox" look. Marvelous.
 
Does anyone know if the various tripath chips have their own sound characteristics or is the only difference in the amount of power they can supply. People talk about chips as if they do have different characteristics but I can't quite wrap my head around that concept.

cubdog
 
sideways2 -

How do you like it with your ASL? I have ASL's bottom of the line pre and go back and forth and using it with my Ts. I'm not crazy about it with the KingRex, but like it with the Trends.

Ray -

The wife got me that ASL for Christmas!!! It is great!! The model is in my signature and one of the reasons I was wanting it was the type of tubes it uses...EL84's and a 12AX7!!

I'm running some Japanese Baldwin 6BQ5's and a GE 12AT7 at the moment with the Tangents...sounds wonderful!!!

They have a model up which uses a quad of EL84's and 2 AX7's...has 4 inputs and a remote as well...but $900 compared to $500...I went cheap :D

If you can do without a remote and only one input, I highly recommend it...I needed two so I am using a switchbox...but I'm ok with that...works wonderfully especially at half the price!!

Oh and it has this wonderful switch on the front to go transformer-less on the outputs!! Basically going more "romantic" rather than more dynamic with the transformer engaged!! On the fly too!!

Good headphone section as well :)

Cheers!!
 
Does anyone know if the various tripath chips have their own sound characteristics or is the only difference in the amount of power they can supply. People talk about chips as if they do have different characteristics but I can't quite wrap my head around that concept.

cubdog



And yes they do have different sounds...the Virtue uses the 2050 chip...bridged and in a dual mono mode...so two chips...and that is why they can get the power output.

There are other comparisons out there for the other chips but I can't find that info at the moment...when I do I'll post :)
 
Here are a couple of quotes I found...looks like the 2024 chip is more dynamic\analytical rather than romantic like the 2020...

"The TA2020 amp chip provides more headroom, a larger soundstage and a bit more midrange warmth than the TA2024 amp chip."

"The Main difference in sound with the TA2024 is that the TA2020 has a much wider sound stage and a much improved bass response."
 
Addendum: as of this afternoon I also have a Lepai pushing some small, ported speakers using Dayton ND90s. The source is a small DVD player that sits on the console of my treadmill so I don't get bored while I'm running.
 
Here are a couple of quotes I found...looks like the 2024 chip is more dynamic\analytical rather than romantic like the 2020...

"The TA2020 amp chip provides more headroom, a larger soundstage and a bit more midrange warmth than the TA2024 amp chip."

"The Main difference in sound with the TA2024 is that the TA2020 has a much wider sound stage and a much improved bass response."

I guess that means my Tamp90 with a 2022 chip has the best of both?

cubdog
 
Ray, bundle up and go move some snow. :D

cubdog

I'm in the bottom end of Illinois. We got about .01" of snow. I don't mind running outside when it's cold or snowing but we've got some ice and if I'm not wearing my hockey gear I try to stay off that stuff. :)
 
I have a fully modded sureelectronics TA2024 per the diyaudio thread. Sounds great with the Klipsch KG-2. Pretty good entry level high end sound for peanuts.
 
I'm in the bottom end of Illinois. We got about .01" of snow. I don't mind running outside when it's cold or snowing but we've got some ice and if I'm not wearing my hockey gear I try to stay off that stuff. :)

<brief hijack>

You anywhere near Tamaroa? My mom is from there.

</brief hijack>
 
Back
Top Bottom