• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

The World Famous Agora Turns 50

Listening to Rush @ the Agora, December 1974: this band was smokin' hot @ this night. Also a friggin' superb recording. My regards to the OP, else I might not have been reunited w/ this recording for another ??? years!
 
Rush or Mahogany Rush ?

I like Rush, but this thread reminded me of Mahogany Rush, which I also like. Alot of it anyway.

But Rush, you know "Working Man" Rush ? At the Agora ? I don't doubt it.

People put Cleveland down, and we had race wars when they had long gone out of style and we got all the problems of a big city when we ain't anymore. But Rush is from Canada. Many rock bands did come from this area but from what I have seen alot more got made in this area. Once they got on WMMS and 98.5 they started pressing albums because, because why ?

I think that back in that era, the DJs (who had alot more say back then) and the people around here (who had alot more say back then) had really good musical taste in the rock genre. That is one of the reasons the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is here, though I detest the fact that who gets in it is not decided here. ****ing New York, the greats did not start out there, they started here, and in Detroit, Michigan. Know why "Mowtown" is called Mowtown ?

And Mark Farner and Grand Funk are not in it, WTF !

Hall of fame my ass. Hall of who made the moguls more money it seems.

Sorry. Done now.
 
Yeah, some big bands played here. I remember seeing Golden Earring at the variety Theater on Lorain Ave. this was intended to be a movie theater. The management had to come out and tell them to turn down because they were so loud the plaster was falling off the ceiling. Bummer.

We all booed.

Actually it wasn't all that great, I wanted to hear a bunch of stuff from Moontan but they mostly played their newer ****, like Bullet Hits The Bone. They played Radar Love but nothing else off that album. Pricks.
 
OMG, I cant believe that place is still around! I worked that room 3 or 4 times back in the `80s, they always had a great PA and crew. We used to stay at a hotel called Swingos when there, good times:)
 
Heh, lookin' to see if I had a copy of the '75 Mahogany Rush performance @ the Agora and discovered a copy of Rush, 1974, a concert @ which, according to the ROIO notes, the number "Fly By Night" made its world debut. Past that, it's time to find that '75 Mahogany Rush ROIO.

If you can't find the Mahogany Rush show, we could trade some recordings. I also found a cassette of a Rick Derringer show from September 1976. Haven't listened to it yet so I'm not sure of the quality. I can make full res CDs with my Mac. (I hate mp3).
On a Cleveland note (I was born and raised in Akron, moved to FL in 1986) I also have a show of Genesis recorded at Music Hall in 1976. They sold out two shows and as a gift to the area, one of them was broadcast live on WMMS. Had the reel to reel deck ready! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom