• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

They don't get much cheaper than this Truetone stereo

i say gut it, paint it pink and drop it off on someones lawn that you know has a sense of humor and an angry nit picking wife!

Yeah, that sounds like the thing to do, although I think taking a chain saw or even better yet, a Skil saw to it would be fun. There are definitely much better consoles to be had. One of my local thrifts had a decent Zenith unit from the mid-sixties except for the fact that it was filthy. At least you did not get this sad Monteverdi console that the Goodwill in Charlottesville cannot get rid of. Someone stripped the whole outside of it's vinyl wood grain since it is just naked particle board. I think they are going to have to pay someone to take it.
 
I won't touch one of those '70's particleboard and plastic jobs. Those are the epitome of junk! My favorite consoles are the tube models from the '50's and early '60's, followed by the decent early SS units by Magnavox, RCA, Zenith, etc. The problem is that the older ones like what I like are getting harder to find. When I do find one, it's usually on CL being sold by some nut that thinks it's worth $500+.
 
I won't touch one of those '70's particleboard and plastic jobs. Those are the epitome of junk! My favorite consoles are the tube models from the '50's and early '60's, followed by the decent early SS units by Magnavox, RCA, Zenith, etc. The problem is that the older ones like what I like are getting harder to find. When I do find one, it's usually on CL being sold by some nut that thinks it's worth $500+.

Keep your eyes open at your local thrifts and estate sales/auctions. I have seen quite a few old Magnavox, Zenith, RCA and Voice of Music units go for between $10-$50. I am not sure of the working condition of these units and often they look like they could need a cleaning, but still small change compared to the absurd CL pricing. When my grandparents moved from their house to an apartment in the 90's, they sold their RCA/Victor console for some insanely low price at an auction.
 
Keep your eyes open at your local thrifts and estate sales/auctions. I have seen quite a few old Magnavox, Zenith, RCA and Voice of Music units go for between $10-$50. I am not sure of the working condition of these units and often they look like they could need a cleaning, but still small change compared to the absurd CL pricing. When my grandparents moved from their house to an apartment in the 90's, they sold their RCA/Victor console for some insanely low price at an auction.

found an RCA Victor console unit on the recycle pile for free. I pulled the receiver and spkrs and reboxed them into a mini-stereo. sounds great.
best part; hooked a diskman up to the 'tape' input wi RCA plugs so I can play cds on it. heck of a system for $10!!!:music: (the cost of the discman)


and speaking of Monteverdi...found one of those too. reboxed those speakers; currently in use for my tv system (running thru an old Kenwood sound processor). not theater quality, but worth the scrap wood!
 
I think it would be hilarious to gut the cabinet, fill it with high end gear and watch the look on unknowing visitors' faces when they hear what comes out of it. I think I'd leave the turntable and the control panel as-is and convert the front panel into a door with concealed hinges and latch to preserve that POS appearance when the top is opened.

Could also prove to be a lifesaver if your home is ever burglarized. Who'd steal something that looks like that?
 
Last edited:
AFAIK, It's mono only. The selector only has positions for AM, FM, and Phono. There is no stereo indicator light and my ears tell me that the output is mono. One thing that shocked me is that the small chassis in this thing is fairly well built and the PC board has it's component locations clearly marked on both sides of the board.

Dang! I hope it at least has a stereo turntable in it! I believe my grandma has an old beat up Truetone console somewhere. Last I tried it, 3 years ago, the platter on its BSR turntable was completely frozen.
 
You could put the 45 spindle adaptor on eBay and get a good portion of your money back. They are easy to ship, too!
 
Picking up this Truetone on Thursday. Anyone know anything about it by looking at the picture. Getting it for $35.00
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom