• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

They were so ugly I had to buy them

FloridaSam

I like tacos
Stopped by Amvets on the way home and found these UGLY Technics SB-L200 for $19.00. All the drivers lookes good.....even if the speakers didn't so I thought I had to give these a new home. Glad I did.

They sounds great!! I see a restore project in the future...the beat up white textured spray paint ain't gonna cut it. Thankfully these speakers look better without the grills, lets those cute horns shine through.

While certainly not the BEST speakers I own they hold their own and sound MUCH better than I expected. Tight bass and nice highs. A party speaker to be sure.

25gq5vq.jpg


23h6p88.jpg


2q36wbq.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
linear phase Technics are very nice, try setting them up properly on the floor I think you will be surprised

they are also quite efficient and will need quality amplification.
 
My uncle had a pair of these or something very similar. The top and bottom of the cabinets are separate, the top is tuned for the mid/bass driver and the bottom is tuned for the woofer. They actually are very nice sounding speakers. Put them into a corner on the floor and they will really surprise you!
 
Maybe party speaker is the wrong term...kick ass rock speaker? I've repositioned them on the floor and am running them with a Yamaha CR-1040. These speakers are very impressive, I can see listening to these for a long time. They sound...how I like speakers to sound.
 
You're makin' me wish I had picked up a pair i ran across recently. They were $39 but, in really great condition. Oh well, don't look back, you can never look back. Enjoy them.
 
You're makin' me wish I had picked up a pair i ran across recently. They were $39 but, in really great condition. Oh well, don't look back, you can never look back. Enjoy them.

you did miss out I picked up a pair of the bigger sb-l300 a couple weeks ago and they were quite impressive I found they sounded much better off the floor though when they were on the floor the bass was too overpowering if I find another pair I'll snap them up in a heartbeat

p2081753large.jpg
 
Technics has some great speakers i own 3 sets of them now and i like them all.
Your cabinet looks like The SB-400 that i own exept the horn tweeter.
My SB-r4's look a lot like your drivers but not the cabinet.
To me it looks like a sort of crossover and maybe the best of both too.
 
These look like one of the non-shitty Technics speaker. Recessed upper-baffle to attempt time-aligned mid/tweeter. You could have done much worse! :)

Enjoy!

az
 
I would have snagged them also. Nice score! Anything from the Technics Linear Phase line is very impressive IMHO.

I've had my SB-6000A's since new in '79. And just recently added their little brothers, the SB-5000A's.
Have to admit I have never heard the Technics horn drivers but they are on my hit list.

Cannot believe someone trashed them with that white paint? Hope you can restore them. They are most certainly worthy! :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
Now what?!?

Here goes another series of speakers you guys have put on the "now will be hard to find" list :D

Hey FloridaSam, have you taken a look inside yet. I'm curious about the build quality and components Technics used. :scratch2:
 
passed....

I would have snagged them also. Nice score! Anything from the Technics Linear Phase line is very impressive IMHO.

I've had my SB-6000A's since new in '79. And just recently added their little brothers, the SB-5000A's.
Have to admit I have never heard the Technics horn drivers but they are on my hit list.

Cannot believe someone trashed them with that white paint? Hope you can restore them. They are most certainly worthy! :thmbsp:

I passed a pair of SB-6000A's @ a local second hand store about 2 months ago.....might still be there....nice shape = $100
 
I use to own a pair of those Technics. I can see it is missing the cooling damper foam that use to sit on the ledge right below the mid. Those were a hard speaker to market because you didnt know if it was a bookshelf speaker or a floor standing speaker. The speaker should have came with feet as mine did. I remember they had great imaging. Wish they had a bit more bass but I guesss the paper woofer had it's limits. I should have never sold those speakers. I picked up my pair for $24 at Sally Anne.
 
I was thinking of picking them up.....but for $100....I can pick up 3 or 4 pair of speakers, on a good day! I've only paid over a $100 on 3 occations = Cambridge Audio R50's,Celestion 25's, and a mistake...Bose 601's(Crap) The first 2... I still have!
Got a $150 for the Bose...
 
Your speakers look like a junior or pro version of some of the Japan-market-only high-end time-aligned speakers, the best of which were excellent audiophile speakers (usually in NOT ugly fine wood veneers). I'm not surprised if they sound quite good, and I certainly would have tried them, too.

You did really well to get those "ugly" speakers! :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom