• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

They're giant, they're vintage, they're cheap - how can you go wrong? (Brooklyn)

swechsler

Frog Whisperer
I have no idea what these are, but according to the seller they're giant, vintage, and loud. They're not Fisher KS series. He's asking $60.

Anyone recognize them?

No affiliation

00S0S_1NwXiUwzl7m_1200x900.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Sure look like A50s to me, basically double A25s.

I got set for $10 from the guy across the street....
 
Seller responded—planning to check them out/ purchase them tonight...

Hoping everything looks good...
 
Nice find--I agree with the Dynaco theory/vibe. Little love on the cabinets and they should shine up just fine. Brooklyn and $60--leap, froggy, leap--I have friends out there and $60 is three packs of smokes--their apartment/2 BR townhouse (nothing special) is $3800/mo + utils, so not like an outrageous price at all if they are intact.
 
Yep, but now it looks the seller has multiple interest and may not wait until I can get there tonight...

Even though I'd bet I was at the top of the queue in responding, seller seems to want to sell to as quickly and easily as possible. Fingers crossed!

I think I've been spoiled by the honorable AK system of respecting the first sold PM...this place is awesome
:rockon:
 
27899204.jpg

GOT 'EM! I had to scramble mightily to fend off the rabble :p, but the seller was honest and let me have dibs. I have them hooked up and, they sound absolutely fantastic...

These speakers definitely have lived an exciting life (I guess the the original owner—the seller's uncle Sal—was was a drummer in a band), so it's got the requisite "patina". I actually don't know if I'm going to do much restoring to the cabinets—I kinda like them as they are.

My wife on the other hand just about had an aneurysm when she saw them. They are pretty damn big (and our NYC apt. pretty damn small—). The fear in her eyes was real, lol. I'm going to have to bring a lot of chocolate and flowers over the next couple months if these beauties stay in the living room...

Thanks again @swechsler for the heads up!
:music:

Here's a quick shot of one of the A-50s with one my A-25XLs piggybacking while I figure out what goes where:

IMG_1708.jpg
 
It's pretty dusty in there (with some rust on the screws holding the tweeters down—) but everything generally looks good. Anyone have suggestions for safely cleaning the woofers? Also, any tips on period (or period-appropriate–) stands would be really appreciated! Thanks—

IMG_1709.jpg
 
It's pretty dusty in there (with some rust on the screws holding the tweeters down—) but everything generally looks good. Anyone have suggestions for safely cleaning the woofers? Also, any tips on period (or period-appropriate–) stands would be really appreciated! Thanks—

View attachment 877915

I would clean the woofers with a small photo lense brush, followed by a vacuum with the soft brush attachment set for drapes. As to stands, there is a guy on EBay that makes wooden stands for speakers. He seems to be able to make just about any size or height you want. Can't remember his name, but if you search speaker stands, it should become obvious after a while. I wish you luck.
 
Yep, but now it looks the seller has multiple interest and may not wait until I can get there tonight...

I bought something on craigslist last week. First to reply and "close" the deal then agreed to meet the following day.

By the 3rd email I gathered he'd received multiple replies and was wavering. "Can I come by right now?" was my next email and I got the stuff.

When you have a hot deal going sometimes you drop everything and just go get it.

Glad you got yours.
 
Back
Top Bottom