• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thin Lizzy Still Dangerous--Live At The Tower Theatre Philadelphia 1977

Quint

Super Member
Just a head's up to all you Lizzy fans out there: VH1 Classic's new record label has just issued a fanstastic live album entitled Still Dangerous--Live At The Tower Theatre Philadelphia 1977. It's a truly transcendent performance, IMO rivaling Live and Dangerous in its brilliance. It's mind-boggling to me how this show stayed in the vaults all these years. Phil Lynott is in great voice, and the rest of the band (the Jailbreak-era lineup of Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, and Brian Downey) is in peak form.

It's especially cool that an outlet as mainstream as VH1 has issued, and is actually promoting, the record! (They're even playing the concert on VH1 Classic as I type!) Maybe the resources the channel has at its disposal will lead to greater exposure for this legendary band. They certainly deserve it. The wider public needs to hear what discerning musicians and music fans have been enjoying all these years. :thmbsp:

Note to vinyl enthusiasts: The album is out on LP too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: YY1
Register to hide this ad
Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous was one of the first rock albums I bought when I was a young teen. Had never heard of the group, but saw the album cover and figured these guys have to rock with a name and cover like that. Needless to say i was not disappointed and its still one of my favorite live albums ever...that and Scorpions Tokyo Tapes live album...:thmbsp::music:

Will have to check out this one as well...
 
I found a very good condition "Live & Dangerous" double album at the GW for .80 a couple weeks ago. I used to have it in the 70's and always dug it!! South Bound was my theme song when we drove down to AZ to live from Chicago.
 
Yeh , i had looked this up last night & saw they put it out on vinyl , gotta get it soon , my local store had the cd $9.99 , but i think i'm gonna get the album .
I have the original live one on cd & also "still life live" on cd , be nice to have some vinyl .
 
Another lizzy fan here. Recently bought Live And Dangerous, at the Rainbow
78, on Dvd. Guitar playing on Still in love with you, is a highlight!
 
I was actually playing my Live & Dangerous DVD last nite. Phil does a great job overall, but really nails "The Sun Goes Down", leading the bass guitar thru what turns out to be a sad song.

Then I had to jam some "Black Rose" thru my Klipsch 5.2's.

There's an expensive Live 1975 release that I got off itunes awhile back for less then a tenner, so yeah, I'm thinkin' Lizzy 24/7 !
 
I truly hope that a new generation can find what many people from my generation missed with Thin Lizzy. They weren't just about Jailbreak and the Boys are Back in Town.

One of the best bands from the 70s and their influence on the NWOBHM has been greatly overlooked. The dual guitar leads and everything the Phil Lynott brought to the table. I would love to hear his Skid Row stuff sometime...
 
Quint is right on, the set from the Tower Theatre is VERY good. I'm going to have to get the vinyl. :yes:

Another live set to look for is the "Killer's Live" album from '81. Tracks recorded in Toronto in '77 have the Gorham / Robertson guitar pairing. Tracks from Dublin in 1980 feature Gorham / Snowy White on guitar.

Good record. :smoke:
 
cool interview with scott gorham on rockline where he explains where the tape came from for this show .


http://www.rocklineradio.com/replay/replay.php

That was an awesome interview. Very informative. I wish I had been old enough to see them in ’77—they were definitely on top of the world then—but I did catch them on their farewell tour in ’83, and even though Phil was showing some drug wear by then, you’d never know it by their performance that night. It’s still probably the best rock show I’ve ever seen. Thanks a lot for the link. :thmbsp:
 
That was an awesome interview. Very informative. I wish I had been old enough to see them in ’77—they were definitely on top of the world then—but I did catch them on their farewell tour in ’83, and even though Phil was showing some drug wear by then, you’d never know it by their performance that night. It’s still probably the best rock show I’ve ever seen. Thanks a lot for the link. :thmbsp:

That's great you even got to see them , i never saw them at all , but do love the band .
Gorham sure had some great tales about the band & Phil that i never knew about , some cool history .
I had a friend who saw them twice , once i think he saif they were with QUEEN .
 
I was at that show. If I remember Graham Parker opened up the show but not being a big fan, I stepped outside to get more thoroughly prepared for the TL show.

Surprised I even remember that.
 
ah thanks for reminding me. i saw the commercial promoting the cd AND LP!!! but wasn't near a computer to look it up at the time.
 
I am just a cowboy, lonesome on the trail.

I was fortunate enough to see one of the very last live performances of Thin Lizy in Nuermburg Germany in 1983.

One day I'll scan and post an article that was in Kerrang magazine just after Phil Lynott passed that was dedicated to Phil if anyone may be interested.

It may be quite a tear jerker. It can still cause a tear to swell in me eye to ths day and I've read it hundreds of times. It was written byBif Byford of Saxon. One of the few Mags I still have from Germany I brought back.

One of my favorites is Jonny the fox meets Jimmy the weed.
 
Well my Thin lizzy live Lp has made it here , I spun it tonight .....

The Bad , i cracked it open & there are scuffs on the Lp , i know you find that hard to believe with new vinyl :no: and there is a warp in it .
For the most part it played really well ... The show is a bit more compressed for my taste , not too bad , but it should be louder & a bit more "open" .
Cool thing is a the vinyl comes with a bonus 45 of "Bad reputation" & "emerald" which i guess are not on the cd ?
Funny the 45 has a lot more volume & less compression on it , i would have liked the album to sound closer to this .
But a really cool performance from the band , takes them a bit to warm up , but once they get going it's a good show , nice raw live recording with the vocals up front & the guitars panned hard left & right ...........Overall cool , could have been a bit better .
 
Back
Top Bottom