• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Things that digital (of any type) can't offer the same feeling as analogic do

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
Any type of digital, including screens.
1st I think of the scale (dial) of some tubes radios. No digital will ever give that feeling. Plus, the magic (tuning) eye. Sorry, no L.C.D. or O.L.E.D. can reproduce it.
Through all that NIXIE and V.F.D. displayes are in theory digital displayes, because they display digits, they aren't 100% digital, because they heart is alive.
I can say "themometer" type speedometers - yes, some can be reproduced digitally, but not the same feeling. Or the sound of some mechanics. Feel more alive. Plus, some push button - you feel touching something, it isn't just a thing to be.
 
Register to hide this ad
Some would say guitar amplifiers have to be tube to have a certain interaction with the player :idea: While I certainly enjoy the sound of a good tube amp, I don't play loud enough now to  need some of their qualities. (That said, I do own several ;))
 
Race cars would use analog gauges because they were easier to read. They oriented the gauge so the needle was pointing straight up in normal operating range. A quick glance at the needles was quicker than trying to read a digital number and ascertain if that was a normal value.
 
The "clocking" of the gauge so vertical = normal makes a ton of sense, but I have to admit that seeing a cluster of gauges that are rotated to different positions to make that happen drives me nuts. Its like seeing a bunch of crooked pictures hanging on a wall.
 
Some would say guitar amplifiers have to be tube to have a certain interaction with the player :idea: While I certainly enjoy the sound of a good tube amp, I don't play loud enough now to  need some of their qualities. (That said, I do own several ;))

FWIU it's the digital Modeling solid State amps that effect the interaction between when the player plucks/strums the string(s) by introducing latency. The electronic processor introduces a very small delay. It's not a problem with Analog electric amps or tube amps

Boss Katana Modeling Electric Guitar Amps are said have extremely short latency. Some prefer the speed of an analog electric amp with an effects pedal vs the Modeling amp.
 
Last edited:
Some would say guitar amplifiers have to be tube to have a certain interaction with the player :idea: While I certainly enjoy the sound of a good tube amp, I don't play loud enough now to  need some of their qualities. (That said, I do own several ;))

For jazz guitar amps, it's virtually impossible to beat the tone/clarity tube guitar amp. Of course, there are poor and great examples of both tube amps and solid state guitar amps, but it's very, very difficult for any SS to match a quality tube guitar amp for jazz. Roland Cubes come close, having a great jazz tone in solid state (also at a reasonable cost), but their distortion modes are terrible for non-jazz.

Although guitar amps have entirely different design goals than audio amps (guitar amps don't need to be "accurate"), I would argue that the takeaway from guitar amps for jazz extends to audio in that only tubes can provide true clarity. Some SS amps get very close, but it's almost impossible to match tubes on clarity.

I often see posts with saying people only like tube amps because the find their distortion pleasing :(. I would argue strongly that it's the clarity :thumbsup:.
 
Last edited:
Digital outlet timers. I have a grow light on a timer for my basement plant and it's scheduled to run 8 hours a day. I originally started with digital timer, because why wouldn't you? But it was confusing to program and sometimes would forget its programming.

After a few rounds of dealing with it, I bought one of those stupid analog timers where the center of the swith rotates like a clock you click down the hours you want it to run and now I never have to worry about it.

Sometimes simple is better. A meaningful downside of the analog clock is that it loses time if the power is out for a significant period of time. I still find it easier to deal with.

Like they say "out with the new, in with the old" :)

71O+ws3XopL._AC_SL1417_.jpg




612j8WgpkTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
 
Wouldn't the digital timer do the same?

I think the digital ones have a built in battery, so they will keep time during outages.

I was hoping they made an analog one with a built-in battery to keep time going, but there doesn't seem to be one. We have a whole-house generator, so it doesn't affect us too much unless the power is intentionally shut off for electrical work.

There's no reason why digital should be better, but there's 23,000 reviews for the analog one, so I can't be the only one who went back to the simplicity of analog.

 
For jazz guitar amps, it's virtually impossible to beat the tone/clarity tube guitar amp. Of course, there are poor and great examples of both tube amps and solid state guitar amps, but it's very, very difficult for any SS to match a quality tube guitar amp for jazz. Roland Cubes come close, having a great jazz tone in solid state (also at a reasonable cost), but their distortion modes are terrible for non-jazz.
I have two close guitar-wielding friends. Both gig. Both have stock vintage Fender tube amps. One plays jazz (1972 Fender Twin Reverb), and the other plays Blues and Rock (1964 Fender Super Reverb).

You'd have to wrest them from their dead hands before they would part with them. That's good for me, because I get to maintain them.
 
I only have one solid-state guitar amp that I consider good. The Strawberry Blonde. It's great for smaller gig acoustic instruments and vocals.

SWR Strawberry Blonde (1).jpg
 
Solid-state can do well for acoustic guitar and jazz guitar. For example, George Benson famously used Polytone solid-state amps for many years...

Regards,
Gordon.
I've had several solid-state amps for my electric guitars. I never liked any of them. Some friends own boutique SS ones that aren't too bad.

I'll keep my old Fender tube holders. They've done me well.

:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom