• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Think this console pull...

knockbill

Lunatic Member
is a Sylvania? Its Mono, PP 6BQ5s, Most of the tubes are Sylvys, except 5U4 and 2x 6BQ5s,,, but IIRC they weren't in it... Has a total of 10 tubes, and Schumacher txs (606)... I searched the numbers I could find on it, with no luck...
I'm sure I grabbed it for the OPT a while ago, but just now put new PS caps in to try it out, and it sounds pretty good... Thought someone may recognize it so I can look for a schem,,, If not, I'll search the pic files at radiomuseum...
Thanks...
 

Attachments

  • P8140059.JPG
    P8140059.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 119
  • P8140058.JPG
    P8140058.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 115
  • P8140061.JPG
    P8140061.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 118
Register to hide this ad
Think I found it... Sylvania 4703 Chassis 1-635,,,, Beitman Vol 20, 1960 or Sams 484 folder 16 date 5-60...
Anyone have a schematic?
Thanks...
 
Beyond my range. My set tops out about 390. Someday I'll find the gaps and later sets for small money tho.
 
Thanks for looking,,, Did you get Sams or Beitman books?
Not sure this thing is worth much more time, anyway... It may be a candidate to try DGs EFB circuit, tho!! Gotta learn sometime!!!
 
The Beitman filess are online by maker/model at techpreservation.org. Only the DjVu browser plug-in works there, not any of the compatible readers. But I have a complete set of scans (217 MB). Nobody seems to have these online anymore, maybe I'll post them on my web page.

Here's the Sylvania:
 

Attachments

The Beitman filess are online by maker/model at techpreservation.org. Only the DjVu browser plug-in works there, not any of the compatible readers. But I have a complete set of scans (217 MB). Nobody seems to have these online anymore, maybe I'll post them on my web page.

Here's the Sylvania:
Got it! Thanks for the schem and info... never had any luck using/downloading DjVu, or joining Radiomuseum for that matter, but, I was able to identify the receiver on RM...
 
Last edited:
yeah, I have a list with what I have and the gaps. I figure I'll find them somewhere for small coin. Its one of those things you either get them for almost free or they cost an arm and a leg. I'm rather partial to my limbs so you can guess which program I'm aiming for. The sets I got cost me basically $1 per book. I'd be quite OK with filling out the set at similar cost.
 
Yep, my mode of operation also... Only one hamfest/meet I know of is in January,,, I never went to it, but may venture a road trip this time , weather permitting....
 
Sams folders generally cost $5 for a single folder, $3 for the whole set, free by the box. And by the file cabinet I think you get paid to haul them away...

I have sets 300--645 in 6 file drawers plus most of the earlier ones in boxes. Of course the one I want will always be in the BOTTOM box...
 
Mine came in binders, 10 folders to a binder, 4 binders to the box for $5 per at an auction. Nobody else wanted them, and that was the opening bid. Same deal on the Rider's set I have. I got the whole trunk load for $10 or something. Its nice to have a clear original prints when you need one.

Single most valuable book in the set though, a 1979 index. No chance of finding anything without that index.
 
Sams no longer has the PC index program on their site - email for a copy. It's a little picky - leave out any punctuation marks when you search. Better yet, download the "Universal Schematic Locator" from techpreservation.com. Index to Sams, Riders, and Beitmans. But yeah, paper index is handy too - no computer in the basement.
 
Whats the easiest way to raise B+ to the plates about 10V, and about 40V screens on this amp without changing the PT? I want to experiment with DGs EFB circuit, figure this would make good mule...
I have some 5AR4s which could sub for 5U4, if it would drop less voltage... The OPT is fed directly from the rectifier, so can't change resistors on that section... Right now there is about 350V on the plates and 330 on the screens... EFB schem for "Modified Maggy 9302" has 370 on screens and plates...After recapping, Plate dissipation is 12.87W...
Thanks...
 
5V4 or a 5AR4 would both give you more voltage. 5V4 probably about 10 volts, 5AR4 likely closer to 25. Solid state would give you more, maybe 35-40v.
 
Thanks,, that should work,,, I saw a list posted someplace with the drop of common rectifiers, can't remember where, tho...
 
5V4 or a 5AR4 would both give you more voltage. 5V4 probably about 10 volts, 5AR4 likely closer to 25. Solid state would give you more, maybe 35-40v.

Changing tubes didn't get 360VDC, I may try disconnecting B+ from the tuner section, and see where that gets me... Its not worth the trouble changing to SS just to experiment... The amp sounds pretty good, tuner not so much...
 
362-356VDC, tubes don't match... I just wanted to try the EFB ckt, and this is the only 6BQ5 PP amp I have that's disposable! May not be a suitable candidate... maybe I should work on the tuner instead, gotta learn something from it!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom