• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thinking Of Moving A Bit Higher Up The Grado Ladder... Can you guys help me out?

I have Grado 125s and 225s. Although I use them on different receivers I am challenged to find a significant sound difference between them. I am very happy with them both. I don't consider the highs harsh with ear cushions appropriate for each model (the larger cushions can bring on a sibilance problem to my ears). If your sound source can find detail and reclusive sounds in a recording the Grados can let you know about it. I have an old pair of Realistic Pro-60 headphones (Koss made) which I occasionally try to listen to. The effort usually doesn't last long. I am aware that I am missing things with the Pro-60s, and it doesn't take long before I have restarted the recording with my Grados in place.
 
:D

Sorry, guys. Got sick. It's been so-frigging-cold this week, and I was budgeting my sleep. Serves me right. Got the headphones yesterday. Still need lots of burn-in, but they hit the "Oh yeah" stage a few minutes ago, so I wanted to come back and give a brief update. Incredible clarity. The bass is still loosening up. I can hear it slowly opening up and smoothing out. They were quite-lean yesterday, but that's definitely-improving These have a long way to go still, but starting to come together. The earpads fit AROUND my ears instead of on them like the SR80i pads (iPad? ... Uh Oh, my brain is starting to chase it's tail... I better go lie down... Back soon).
 
Last edited:
Nice choice on the RS2's. Pad rolling is pretty fun and can return good results depending on your tastes. Personally I prefer the L cushions that come with the RS2s with the tape mod. G cushions are really good on the RS1s and HF2s I own....so they might do well for the RS2s. Ironically I don't like the G cushions on the GS1000s, but prefer the L cushions so don't hesitate to try your SR80 S cushions on the new cans....you never know.
 
:D

Sorry, guys. Got sick. It's been so-frigging-cold this week, and I was budgeting my sleep. Serves me right. Got the headphones yesterday. Still need lots of burn-in, but they hit the "Oh yeah" stage a few minutes ago, so I wanted to come back and give a brief update. Incredible clarity. The bass is still loosening up. I can hear it slowly opening up and smoothing out. They were quite-lean yesterday, but that's definitely-improving These have a long way to go still, but starting to come together. The earpads fit AROUND my ears instead of on them like the SR80i pads (iPad? ... Uh Oh, my brain is starting to chase it's tail... I better go lie down... Back soon).


Interesting, mine seemed quite full straight out of the box streaming flac files thru a sonos to a tubedac 11, or vinyl off a project debut carbon ==> 2M red ==> emotiva XPS-1 ==> Tubedac 11. I have G Cush's on mine will try the L's tonight.



.
 
Absolutely... Will do... I'm a little miffed at Paypal for making it so-damn-difficult for me to get a package delivered to my P.O. box. I refuse to have things delivered to my home address. Unfortunately, I can't trust my neighbors as far as I can throw them (Wish I could throw them all the way back to where they came from)...

For future shipments...Just go to www.usps.com and with the tracking number of your package in hand and by creating a free account, have it rerouted/forwarded (https://reg.usps.com/entreg/LoginAction_input?app=ATG&appURL=https://pfs.usps.com/pfs/) to your PO Box. Or, have USPS hold the package for pick-up at the Post Office (https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/). Obviously it only works with USPS.
 
I have a set of 325i's sitting next to me in a case as we speak. Of course, I have a pair of RS2i's on my head....

Good choice.
 
I have to say Twanger I was shocked when I read you liked Grados. To me they seem to be the total opposite of Wharfedales. I guess we all hear things differently.

Congratulations on the new headphones I'm sure you will love them. :thmbsp:

cubdog
 
Nice choice on the RS2's. Pad rolling is pretty fun and can return good results depending on your tastes. Personally I prefer the L cushions that come with the RS2s with the tape mod. G cushions are really good on the RS1s and HF2s I own....so they might do well for the RS2s. Ironically I don't like the G cushions on the GS1000s, but prefer the L cushions so don't hesitate to try your SR80 S cushions on the new cans....you never know.

Hey there, everybody... Having a weird run of gremlins around here. First, my monitor craps out. Then my computer locked up on me and won't boot up. Then I got food poisoning. Then my Dell DJ freezes up. And then... And then... :rolleyes:

January really kicked my ass for some reason (Perhaps it's just karma kicking my ass for splurging on $500 headphones :scratch2: I kind of expected it, but damn...). I seriously needed a break myself, but wanted to post a quick update while I'm able, since I'm the one who started this thread. The Dell DJ is okay now, thankfully. I just let the battery run out, re-charged it, and it was fine. First problem I've ever had with that player after a good 4 years use. Love that thing. Best-sounding portable I've ever heard.

Tried the RS2's with SR80 pads and like it A LOT. Gives them a fatter low-end while simultaneously-padding down the highs (and without losing that soul and musicality). Makes them more-like my speakers, basically. And a lot more-comfortable as well. The stock RS2 earpads are a bit too-big for my ears, which end up pressing against the driver assembly (My ears aren't abnormally-small, so those with small/narrow ears will want to keep this in mind... Perhaps the difference in bass is due to my ears pressing against the driver in that one spot and not allowing the pads to sit evenly, but I definitely notice a fatter bass, at least the upper-bass... Seems to give them more of the PRaT sound that I like, although again, this could simply be a matter of fit affecting function).

I can see why people try different pads. It's not just about comfort. The different pads definitely affect the tonal response, and you can tailor them quite a bit. I have to think the RS2's with quarter-modded SR80 pads would be the way to go for those who like the SR80i tonality but want better clarity and detail.

I've been thinking of trying the GS-1000 pads, but I worry that I may run into the same problem with the bigger hole. I only switched to the SR80 pads today, so I'll give it some time. Really enjoying them a lot now though. l bet the SR80 pads work well to pad down the highs on the SR325's as well.

Isaac Hayes' "The Look Of Love" is playing right now (Always reminds me of the movie "Dead Presidents"... Isaac Hayes' music is a good way to test a speaker/headphones' separation, depth, clarity, dynamics, musicality, and PRaT... Isaac liked a big band and big arrangements, so there's always a lot going on in his recordings). The RS2's sound delightful with my Dell DJ. Been using the DJ while I get my hardware issues sorted out (I run a PC-based music server setup). Great-sounding music-player with no video or wi-fi technology to muck things up, and the 32ohm Grados are a great match.

What I love about the Wharfedales is their combination of detail and smoothness and the way that one never overwhelms the other, and the SR80 pads on the RS2's is giving me that same happy medium somehow. Whatever the case, it's workin'.

I'll be back once I get everything sorted out. Still burning these in. Probably haven't reached 40 hours, let alone 100.
 
Last edited:
Actually, I was thinking the same thing. While I've never heard the W90's, I'm familiar with it's little brother the W60. It's not something I would consider to be in any way, resembling the sonic signature of Grado headphones.

I used to own the Grado SR80's as well but hardly used them because I found them to be quite uncomfortable.

Regardless, congrats on the new Grado phones!

I have to say Twanger I was shocked when I read you liked Grados. To me they seem to be the total opposite of Wharfedales. I guess we all hear things differently.

Congratulations on the new headphones I'm sure you will love them. :thmbsp:

cubdog
 
Back
Top Bottom