• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thinking of Taking on a Full Range Driver Project

Porkloin

Oscar Heil Groupie
Good day full range driver enthusiasts. I'm thinking of taking on a small project that more of a wood working homage to my first speakers ever as a teenager. I was thinking of keeping the guts simple with a full range driver and no crossover. I know that TangBand has a pretty good reputation and was wondering if anyone had experience with the W5-2143 driver?
 
Register to hide this ad
@Porkloin I just finished up a set of Sony/Coral Holey baskets driver in a Nagaoka style double horn. This is my first real attempt at a full range driver, and I was shocked at the results. The Holey basket is around 4" diameter, so similar to the driver you mentioned. My first observation, the highs are really good. In the week or so I've been listening to them, have not wanted more highs. Midrange is killer! I mean it's shocking how good the midrange is, and I was expecting it to be great. Bass is good for the speaker size. I can't see these even being an option for me, without the double horn. By ear, I'd say these are getting below 100hz easy, with an in room F3 around 75hz maybe. If you listen to Metallica, this speaker is not for you. If you listen to Sonny Rollins, this is certainly the speaker for you. I have added 2 small subs crossed over at 75hz, and I'm very happy with the blend so far. It might be the best I've heard Linda Ronstadt sound on my system.

If you go for it, build the right box. Back loaded horns are not an easy build, but well worth it. I documented my process, and hope to have a build video done soon, to share. With the right system, and the right music tastes, I see why folks love these so much.
 
@Porkloin I just finished up a set of Sony/Coral Holey baskets driver in a Nagaoka style double horn. This is my first real attempt at a full range driver, and I was shocked at the results. The Holey basket is around 4" diameter, so similar to the driver you mentioned. My first observation, the highs are really good. In the week or so I've been listening to them, have not wanted more highs. Midrange is killer! I mean it's shocking how good the midrange is, and I was expecting it to be great. Bass is good for the speaker size. I can't see these even being an option for me, without the double horn. By ear, I'd say these are getting below 100hz easy, with an in room F3 around 75hz maybe. If you listen to Metallica, this speaker is not for you. If you listen to Sonny Rollins, this is certainly the speaker for you. I have added 2 small subs crossed over at 75hz, and I'm very happy with the blend so far. It might be the best I've heard Linda Ronstadt sound on my system.

If you go for it, build the right box. Back loaded horns are not an easy build, but well worth it. I documented my process, and hope to have a build video done soon, to share. With the right system, and the right music tastes, I see why folks love these so much.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to get the most out of the low end as they'll be doing nearfield duty on the computer desk and I'll have the enclosures somewhat duplicate my teenage "firsts". As fascinated as I am with TL enclosures, it's not in the cards for this project. I've got an old Sony Subwoofer up in the attic that I can strap under the desk if I feel the need, but I'm by no means a bass-head.
Any photos of your full rangers?
 
@Porkloin I just finished up a set of Sony/Coral Holey baskets driver in a Nagaoka style double horn. This is my first real attempt at a full range driver, and I was shocked at the results. The Holey basket is around 4" diameter, so similar to the driver you mentioned. My first observation, the highs are really good. In the week or so I've been listening to them, have not wanted more highs. Midrange is killer! I mean it's shocking how good the midrange is, and I was expecting it to be great. Bass is good for the speaker size. I can't see these even being an option for me, without the double horn. By ear, I'd say these are getting below 100hz easy, with an in room F3 around 75hz maybe. If you listen to Metallica, this speaker is not for you. If you listen to Sonny Rollins, this is certainly the speaker for you. I have added 2 small subs crossed over at 75hz, and I'm very happy with the blend so far. It might be the best I've heard Linda Ronstadt sound on my system.

If you go for it, build the right box. Back loaded horns are not an easy build, but well worth it. I documented my process, and hope to have a build video done soon, to share. With the right system, and the right music tastes, I see why folks love these so much.

can you post a picture? is this similar to some of those full range fostex kits?
 
@59volvo no kit on this, I built these from plans and Baltic birch plywood. The round baffles are spalted hackberry. I’m still playing with positioning.

4DFA0780-6FBA-459C-A5FD-2DFADEDC1211.jpeg 983A48FF-4827-4904-AC9C-96B8C83B061B.jpeg
 
I’m not real sure. I just followed the plans. I can see the advantage of being able to switch drivers by having multiple baffles.
 
I’m not real sure. I just followed the plans. I can see the advantage of being able to switch drivers by having multiple baffles.
That makes the most sense, but I was hoping for some dissertation on "uniform baffle diffraction" or something like that. :banana:
 
Back
Top Bottom