• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens I.D. + value?

vonrichter

Member
Can anyone I.D. this?

"Excellent condition", manual operation. All I know about the cartridge is that it's Audio-Technica of some sort.

They want $300 for it. I can't really afford that right now but perhaps it's worth less and I can make a lower offer.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a TD 160. Not sure of the going value today. It is a very good table and well worth getting. I bought mine new and it has never left my system.
 
Agreed, Thorens TD160. This has the earlier TP-11 arm with removable headshell. A very decent turntable but usually available, IME, at $50-150 in decent condition. The dust cover does look ok, but can't really tell cosmetic condition from the pics. Unless the table AND cartridge are absolutely mint, with a NEW Thorens belt, this one is overpriced.

However, the ability to pickup directly and personally can outweigh the risks of shipping a table from a distant purchase.

Personally, I'd recommend looking for the Mk. II versions of the TD16x/14x series. You'll get the later TP series arm with detachable arm wand which is a superior arm if you go with the stock arm. Also, the table will be newer and will have a better looking base (mahogany, black, silver metal) so that counts for something. Stay away from the TD165 though as it has a smaller bearing and the center platter is made from plastic. The TD166 Mk. II is similar but better built and, IME, is a pretty decent budget table.

If you live in an urban area, other Thorens tables will come up in CL or on auction sites. Winning local auctions will hopefully allow local pickup.
 
If you live in an urban area, other Thorens tables will come up in CL or on auction sites. Winning local auctions will hopefully allow local pickup.
Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere so it's rare to see much on CL or auction sites. I'm not hunting for Thorens or any brand in particular, just checking stuff out as it pops up, waiting for that decent deal on a decent sounding table.

The dust cover does look ok, but can't really tell cosmetic condition from the pics. Unless the table AND cartridge are absolutely mint, with a NEW Thorens belt, this one is overpriced.
The dust cover is in "good condition". The cartridge is "working". Is it hard to find the belts for these?

Thanks for all the info.
 
Last edited:
300 is way too much. Belts are easy to find, the TP-11 will go with a wide range of cartridges, but at that price, I'd stay away from it.
 
That is not a TP11 arm, It is a TP16 MkI which is good for a Moving Coil. The TD 160 is a very tweak able table, but $300 is a lot unless it has been serviced and setup. $125-$175 would be my target for a non serviced table, Patience is a virtue, wait for the right deal, or drop the money on a serviced, and pristine unit. IMHO
Regards,
Jim
 
That's here in Humboldt County, CA!!

He wants WAY too much for that table. That's a hundred bucks MORE than they sell on ebay!!

He's got a Marantz receiver that he's asking too much for as well.

In my experience, if you want to sell it in Humboldt County you need to be selling it for a hundred dollars LESS than on ebay.
 
Back
Top Bottom