balthazarw
New Member
While checking on the connections to headshell we apparently somehow displaced the spindle as the inner platter now rubs on the plate and the outer platter on the plinth. It just barely touches. The spindle is not at all loose. A thin washer lifts it enough to get it over the plate but it cannot do the motor any good to add more friction with the washer. I do not see such a ball bearing in the schematics and parts list but wonder if we lost a ball bearing out of the well? I see reference to such a bearing in a Woodsong page dealing with a TD 124. I added more lube but that didn't "float" it high enough. So am I missing a bearing?
Others have tapped the spindle into compliance, or so I read. I fear using what is likely to be a fair amount of force.
According to measurements on another post from (https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?members/maxseven.36120/) I will need to tap the spindle just over an inch to match his 126Mkii which he says is the same as the mk iii in this respect. But that's a lot of tapping and the washer experiment tells me I can get clearance needed with just a few millimeters of longer lower portion of the spindle.
What do you suggest?
BTW, not yet fully resolved but it appears the electrical problem is in the Dynavector MC cartridge. Continuity good all the way and feedback on one channel disappeared which we plugged in (though did not mount) a replacement Soundsmith-restored Dynavector. I last mounted a cartridge in the last millennium. My vintage TT tech is gone for months. Think that I should wait for him or, since the same cartridge is going into the OEM Thorens tonearm, should I try it myself?
Others have tapped the spindle into compliance, or so I read. I fear using what is likely to be a fair amount of force.
According to measurements on another post from (https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?members/maxseven.36120/) I will need to tap the spindle just over an inch to match his 126Mkii which he says is the same as the mk iii in this respect. But that's a lot of tapping and the washer experiment tells me I can get clearance needed with just a few millimeters of longer lower portion of the spindle.
What do you suggest?
BTW, not yet fully resolved but it appears the electrical problem is in the Dynavector MC cartridge. Continuity good all the way and feedback on one channel disappeared which we plugged in (though did not mount) a replacement Soundsmith-restored Dynavector. I last mounted a cartridge in the last millennium. My vintage TT tech is gone for months. Think that I should wait for him or, since the same cartridge is going into the OEM Thorens tonearm, should I try it myself?