• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD-190 speed adjustment

RY3VinylFan

New Member
I just bought a used Thorens TD-190 turntable. It's in great condition but the platter is slow to start. The belt is loose but once up to speed, plays at 33 1/3 RPM's. I purchased a replacement belt and the TT turned at about 29 RPM's. I asked for another belt and it turns at 30 RPM. I consulted the US Thorens distributor who said the belt should be 496 mm for this model TT, which is the size of the second belt. So having the correct belt, but not the correct speed leads me to believe I need to adjust the motor speed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the motor speed on this turntable?
 
Register to hide this ad
I just bought a used Thorens TD-190 turntable. It's in great condition but the platter is slow to start. The belt is loose but once up to speed, plays at 33 1/3 RPM's. I purchased a replacement belt and the TT turned at about 29 RPM's. I asked for another belt and it turns at 30 RPM. I consulted the US Thorens distributor who said the belt should be 496 mm for this model TT, which is the size of the second belt. So having the correct belt, but not the correct speed leads me to believe I need to adjust the motor speed.

Does anyone know how to adjust the motor speed on this turntable?

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

Since you are in the US, order the correct belt from this place:
http://www.qaudio.com/

That should eliminate issues with correct belt size. :music:
 
Thanks!

After ordering two belts for my Thorens TD-190 from one belt distributor and having both turn my TT too slow, I called Dariusz at QAudio. After describing my problem, he assured my that I was not using the right belt and that I needed the OEM belt, which I bought from him. After putting the belt on, I pulled out my stop watch app and counted 33 1/3 revolutions in 60 seconds! I was thrilled that I didn't need to adjust any TT settings!

I also took his advice and bought a Grado Prestige Green 1 Diamond Stylus to replace the Ortofon OMB 10 which came with my used turntable. The sound of every record has opened up. I really noticed the difference.

Thanks Dariusz!
 
RY3: In case the need should arise, provided your TD190 is equipped with the DC205 motor, the motor has two little holes on the bottom, one marked with an L and the other with an H, through which one can access two little trim pots for motor speed adjustment.

Mind you, though, that adjustment isn't independent, as one branch of the circuitry (basically a resistor and a trim pot per branch) is always active, while the speed switch activates/deactivates the other branch in parallel. Hence the speed of the always active branch should be adjusted first.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
After ordering two belts for my Thorens TD-190 from one belt distributor and having both turn my TT too slow, I called Dariusz at QAudio. After describing my problem, he assured my that I was not using the right belt and that I needed the OEM belt, which I bought from him. After putting the belt on, I pulled out my stop watch app and counted 33 1/3 revolutions in 60 seconds! I was thrilled that I didn't need to adjust any TT settings!

I also took his advice and bought a Grado Prestige Green 1 Diamond Stylus to replace the Ortofon OMB 10 which came with my used turntable. The sound of every record has opened up. I really noticed the difference.

Thanks Dariusz!

Glad that you were able to solve the problem.

Enjoy the music! :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom