• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 Rebuild Done

SF_Mark

New Member
This weekend I finished (for now) a 4 month project of finishing rebuilding a TD 124 Mk1 table that was in pretty bad shape. I started a couple of years ago, but life got in the way. Started again in the new year. Hours of research on the web, lots of good advice and in particular help from AK and VE members. Huge shoutout to AK member adnick in Texas who saved the vintage ESL tonearm and provided excellent guidance through a lot of the project.

Thorens_Rebuild - 1.jpeg

2 years ago I had oiled the main parts and replaced the belt and idler wheel, but that didn't help much so I put the project on hold.

Thorens_Rebuild - 2.jpeg


Thorens_Rebuild - 3.jpeg

The tonearm was a mess.

Thorens_Rebuild - 9.jpeg

Fast forward past the motor rebuild, bushing replacement, cleaning and oiling, and lots of electronics rework, the new matte rosewood plinth came from Moldova. This thing is a beast. Table fits perfectly, almost too perfect with little options for cable and power routing so I decided to do some work and make a RCA port on the back side.

Thorens_Rebuild - 11.jpeg

Apparently the original owner didn't place the tonearm correctly so with the fixed ESL headshell, there was almost no overhang (thanks for catching that adnick). Much research, measurements, and some math, more measurements and fit-ups and I finally (gulp) drilled the hole in the new armboard.

Thorens_Rebuild - 12.jpeg

Shown here during the first run up and tuning with a carbon fiber headshell. This old ESL uses an EMT pin configuration which makes them next to impossible to find. I have another aluminum version on order that will be paired with a Pickering XV-15 cart.

Thorens_Rebuild - 14.jpeg

The finished (nearly) product with the original ESL headshell and Shure Cart

Thorens_Rebuild - 13.jpeg

The RCA connectors mounted on ebony wood in a recess I routed/chiseled out. Yes, that's the original power cord and yes, I will upgrade it later. I just wanted to play this beauty.

Thorens_Rebuild - 15.jpeg

The rubber mat was brittle and in bad shape so I thought I'd try a high end acrylic mat. So far, I like the sound of it with both cart setups.


Thorens_Rebuild - 16.jpeg

And with the carbon fiber headshell.

Thanks again to everyone who answered questions, and posted their experiences on this forum.
 
Register to hide this ad
Mark:

Thanks for the kind words, was happy to help, of course I’m a TD124 fanboy:bye: but if not for @BillWojo encouraging me to consider one for a project I could still be out in the cold;)

The friendships made here are quite interesting, especially since there’s no face to face interactions….

Your TD124 is impressive, shows what time and dedication can accomplish, a true heirloom :trebon:

Now yo need to post some photos of it spinning vinyl :thumbsup:

VR
Andy
 
Yea, I had to push @adnick, Andy really hard to get that TD124! A mutual friend has one that I helped do some work on, I was impressed with the build quality and how it sounds. Still looking for mine. LOL

BillWojo
 
Mark:

Thanks for the kind words, was happy to help, of course I’m a TD124 fanboy:bye: but if not for @BillWojo encouraging me to consider one for a project I could still be out in the cold;)

The friendships made here are quite interesting, especially since there’s no face to face interactions….

Your TD124 is impressive, shows what time and dedication can accomplish, a true heirloom :trebon:

Now yo need to post some photos of it spinning vinyl :thumbsup:

VR
Andy

Here's an 80's favorite album (Simple Minds) that in addition to sounding great, graphically matches the rosewood plinth. It's a screenshot from a video that I guess I can't upload.

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.33.39 PM.png

Sorry for the workbench photos, but more room in the shop than the den.

Here's the obligatory PF Dark Side of the Moon shot.

Thorens_DarkSide - 1.jpeg
 
Last edited:
What about adding anti Skating. It does make a big difference. I added it to my Grado Arm when I had a TD 121. The 124 had a steel table back then and I couldn't use it with my Ortofon MC cartridges. So I waited and got a TD 125. A lot of problems were solved by the 125 and is why I have it today. Your 124 is beautiful and you should be proud of it !!!!!!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom