• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD124 upgrades?

Erocka2000

Well-Known Member
As mentioned in other posts, I'm currently having Jim Campbell rebuild my Thorens TD124 mk.I. He added the longer motor mounts to use double rubber grommets and also says my idler wheel is nice and quiet.

My question is, is it worth going one more step and just have him add the motor springs, instead of the grommets and to also add the new metal idler wheel, just so that I can be done with all the available (at least affordable) upgrades? Do the springs and metal idler make that much of an improvement?
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe you should ask Jim Campbell. He'd know the condition of the existing and be able to inform you the best route to go. My personal opinion would be to go ahead and to do it, then it's done and you don't have to think about it again. Just my opinion though.
 
IMO me having both I would say yes. But out of the both of them the springs would be the best upgrade.
 
Thanks for the advice. Now, if I choose to wait, how hard is it to install these myself? I did watch a video on changing the motor suspension and that seemed easy enough. But is changing the idler wheel difficult?

I guess my biggest fear is how do I remove the platter to get to the idler without damaging it? I've read some things about a proper method, but nothing that really gives step by step instructions.

If all of it is easy, I just might wait to do the spring and idler upgrade and then do it later by myself.
 
I guess my biggest fear is how do I remove the platter to get to the idler without damaging it?

I've read those warnings too, and I've removed my platter many times with no mishaps. Just don't force it back into the well, let it gradually sink down under its own weight, or else you may pop the seal at the bottom of the well.

You can also unbolt the platter from its bearing.
 
I've read those warnings too, and I've removed my platter many times with no mishaps. Just don't force it back into the well, let it gradually sink down under its own weight, or else you may pop the seal at the bottom of the well.

You can also unbolt the platter from its bearing.

So you're saying you just pull the whole thing up (top platter, bottom and sub?) without unbolting anything? I wish there was some pictures somewhere, as I really don't want to screw anything up.
 
You can also unbolt the platter from its bearing.
ya better index the spindle to the platter. Although Thorens used impeccable machining there, the spindle should bolt back on exactly where it was originally. And use an inch/pound wrench to retighten.
 
ya better index the spindle to the platter. Although Thorens used impeccable machining there, the spindle should bolt back on exactly where it was originally. And use an inch/pound wrench to retighten.

Watch out if you have disconnected the platter from the spindle you get a less good speed stability .Thorens centered the platter on the spindle see picture in the Thorens book.
I did some speed measurement in the past to show the effect on the speed stability, watch in the spectrum the top ., smaller is better , measurements in the umm range !
You can do this with a micrometer on the inside from the platter

Volken

Platter centering TD124 asis.png

Platter centering TD124 asis runout 20um.png

Platter centering TD124 asis 4um.png

Platter centering TD124 asis picture.png.jpg
 
Good to know. And how difficult is changing the idler wheel?

Very easy. Remove the old one put a drop of oil on the shaft and slide the new one on. Once you see what it looks like you will see it's easy. We are here to help. :thmbsp:
 
Well, I just went for it. I'm having Jim add the motor springs and new idler wheel. I'm hoping this is going to be my last turntable, at least for a while ;) , so I might as well go all out.
 
Well, I just went for it. I'm having Jim add the motor springs and new idler wheel. I'm hoping this is going to be my last turntable, at least for a while ;) , so I might as well go all out.

You may find other tables that you enjoy for other reasons, but an optimized TD-124 is hard to surpass.
 
Back
Top Bottom