• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD160 motor replacement

Iansaudio

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently purchased a very nice used Thorens td160 and it looks like the previous owner had the motor spindle snapped off! I looked all over the web and only found 16 volt ac Thorens motors which apparently were used in the newer thorens td160 and 166mk2. Could I simply just wire in an 120 to 16volt AC power supply to run the motor I purchased or would it be more complex than that? Any help in wiring this would be useful, if anyone knows where to find and original 160 motor that would be very helpful as well. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
(...) Any help in wiring this would be useful, if anyone knows where to find and original 160 motor that would be very helpful as well. (...)

Well, Plattenspieler-Reparatur over here still offers that motor, but for an anything but nice price of not quite 200 Euro - see there: https://plattenspieler-reparatur.de/thorens-antrieb/ (You'll need to scroll down quite a good bit...)

So if you can source the 16 V motor variant for quite a good bit less, I'd think, that it should be possible to use that instead (same axis diameter, and mounting would also appear to be the same). So basically you'd just need to swap the 0.33 µF phase shifting capacitor for the second motor winding for a 4.7 µF cap. Wiring scheme:


>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->y-split: one branch to red, the other branch with the 4.7 µF cap in series to blue
16 V(AC)
>------------------->switch (with 0.01 µF anti-sparking cap in parallel)>------->y-split: one branch to black, the other branch to the other black

In practice it doesn't really matter, on which side the switch (with the 0.01 µF anti-sparking cap in parallel) is installed, though. However, ideally both the anti-sparking and the phase-shifting cap should be X2 class foil cap types.

Well, and for the power supply I'd suggest to use an external wall-wart type like for example the Triad Magnetics WAU16-400 or WAU16-500, as it's smarter to keep the EM radiation of the transformer outside of the turntable.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Last edited:
Well, Plattenspieler-Reparatur over here still offers that motor, but for an anything but nice price of not quite 200 Euro - see there: https://plattenspieler-reparatur.de/thorens-antrieb/ (You'll need to scroll down quite a good bit...)

So if you can source the 16 V motor variant for quite a good bit less, I'd think, that it should be possible to use that instead (same axis diameter, and mounting would also appear to be the same). So basically you'd just need to swap the 0.33 µF phase shifting capacitor for the second motor winding for a 4.7 µF cap. Wiring scheme:


>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->y-split: one branch to red, the other branch with the 4.7 µF cap in series to blue
16 V(AC)
>------------------->switch (with 0.01 µF anti-sparking cap in parallel)>------->y-split: one branch to black, the other branch to the other black

In practice it doesn't really matter, on which side the switch (with the 0.01 µF anti-sparking cap in parallel) is installed, though. However, ideally both the anti-sparking and the phase-shifting cap should be X2 class foil cap types.

Well, and for the power supply I'd suggest to use an external wall-wart type like for example the Triad Magnetics WAU16-400 or WAU16-500, as it's smarter to keep the EM radiation of the transformer outside of the turntable.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thank you so much! Are you sure the 4.7uf wouldn't be too large for the 16v motor? I saw someone specify a 0.15uf capacitor on their 145mkII which apparently shares the same wall wart and psu as the 166mk2.
 
Are you sure the 4.7uf wouldn't be too large for the 16v motor? I saw someone specify a 0.15uf capacitor on their 145mkII which apparently shares the same wall wart and psu as the 166mk2.
According to the combined service manual for the TD145/160/165 & TD145II/160II/166II all of these would share the same 110 V motor, and the 0.15 µF phase-shifting cap would only apply to the TD145/145II (while the aforementioned 0.33 µF would apply to the other models). Whereas I've got the 4.7 µF from the service manual for the TD146/147, which actually sport the 16 V motor.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
According to the combined service manual for the TD145/160/165 & TD145II/160II/166II all of these would share the same 110 V motor, and the 0.15 µF phase-shifting cap would only apply to the TD145/145II (while the aforementioned 0.33 µF would apply to the other models). Whereas I've got the 4.7 µF from the service manual for the TD146/147, which actually sport the 16 V motor.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
My bad, In hindsight I should have realized the 16 volt AC motor utilized a 4.7µF capacitor (Im going by a photo on LH of the 166mk2 underside for this). I will get to replacing the original capacitor with the 4.7µF capacitor in parallel with the anti-sparking cap in the 6 pin terminal block. Thank you so much, I was very close to contacting a repair shop.
 
Back
Top Bottom