• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD165 cartridge suggestions

manogeorge

Active Member
I've been undecided for months now on what to do about a new cartridge. I have a Thorens td165 and a Grado red. I couldn't take the hum anymore and put on my Pickering v-15, with a brand new, but cheapo chinese stylus. The highs are now unbearable. I need a solution that's in my budget, but there is a lot to choose from. I'm staying under $300, no matter what, for a new cartridge. I'm not sure if I should replace the v-15 stylus with a better one, get a new stylus for my Ortofon ff15, or just go new alltogether. Or wait for a new tt to pop up on CL and use my Grado. I have a lot of work in the Thorens, but I've always liked the style of Regas or Music Halls. Anybody know of any sales or deals on anything that will fit my needs?

FWIW, I'm using a PS audio phono stage, Soundcraftsmen amp and pre and a Hafler 220. The TT is mildly custom but with the stock tp11 arm.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry your having a hum problem. I have that TT and run a Grado F1+ with a Silver stylus and have no hum. Had a black on it and no hum. I like the Grado sound.

I have a Shure M97xE on my TD 166 and like that also, no hum.

You say your TT is mildly custom...is there a chance that the ground wire underneath is off? Perhaps the wiring in the TA/HS?

Hope you can find it. Preston
 
I get no hum with the other cartridges that I've had on there, and aside from the hum, I really like the sound of the Grado and would prefer to use it if there was a solution.
 
Sorry your having a hum problem. I have that TT and run a Grado F1+ with a Silver stylus and have no hum. Had a black on it and no hum. I like the Grado sound.

I have a Shure M97xE on my TD 166 and like that also, no hum.

You say your TT is mildly custom...is there a chance that the ground wire underneath is off? Perhaps the wiring in the TA/HS?

Hope you can find it. Preston

+1 Shure M97xE :thmbsp:
 
I use a Dynavector 10x5 on my TD-165 and I love it. It's only been in the stable for a month or so, but it's GREAT. It has become my "go to" player for Jazz of all sorts, with my new Ortofon 2M Black being somewhat reserved for classical at the moment.

A gently used 10x5 should be in your budget - check it out! :thmbsp:
 
I only have MM inputs so the Dynavector isn't going to work. I think I'm going to order the Shure later today. I have been reading about them in my searches and for the price I may as well give it a shot. Does anyone know the country of manufacture for the Shures?
 
I only have MM inputs so the Dynavector isn't going to work. I think I'm going to order the Shure later today. I have been reading about them in my searches and for the price I may as well give it a shot. Does anyone know the country of manufacture for the Shures?

You can get the shure for around $55. Thats cheap for a nice cartridge. I have one on my TD-147 and love it.:smoke:
 
I too like the Grado sound on my Thorens `160 but if yours hums you could look at the SAE 1000 HOMC cart for $200. They are a great sounding cart , really smooth sounding , but are MC so no way to change stylus , just retip . Check for reviews here on AK , nary a bad word spoken on these SAE's.
 
I too like the Grado sound on my Thorens `160 but if yours hums you could look at the SAE 1000 HOMC cart for $200. They are a great sounding cart , really smooth sounding , but are MC so no way to change stylus , just retip . Check for reviews here on AK , nary a bad word spoken on these SAE's.

I´m sure glad I have read this. I was keeping an eye on this SAE cartridge in Ebay Germany, but I knew nothing about it, other than liking its looks.

The stylus is elliptical (0.4x0.7mil) which is a bit disappointing......
 

Attachments

  • sae_1000e_a.jpg
    sae_1000e_a.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 8
  • sae_1000e_b.jpg
    sae_1000e_b.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • sae_1000e_c.jpg
    sae_1000e_c.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Got the Shure today, so far I like it, no Grado, but for the cost it's great. Much better than that torturous Pickering replacement. I wasn't too impressed until I put on Lou Rawls "Soulin'", now it's catching my attention. Thanks for the input guys, it's been over a year since I've had a non-humming decent sounding TT. Now for a new arm?

Made in Mexico, to answer my earlier question.
 
I´m sure glad I have read this. I was keeping an eye on this SAE cartridge in Ebay Germany, but I knew nothing about it, other than liking its looks.

The stylus is elliptical (0.4x0.7mil) which is a bit disappointing......

I think that is the 1000E cart , the line trace model 1000LT has a finer tip .
 
Back
Top Bottom