• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Those Knowledgeable about Ortofon RS212 Tonearms

A note regarding Ortofon's early arm's it was standard practise to use more than a single set screw
for adjusting post height and in some models other adjustments.

This can lead to damage during disassembly having removed a single set screw applying force not realizing
in fact that 2 separate fasteners are stacked together out of sight.
 
A note regarding Ortofon's early arm's it was standard practise to use more than a single set screw
for adjusting post height and in some models other adjustments.

This can lead to damage during disassembly having removed a single set screw applying force not realizing
in fact that 2 separate fasteners are stacked together out of sight.

Thanks for that info, could save a lot of frustration….The arm I repaired is a very early one, was reading a very early review of the RS 212 and my arm has all the “problems” pointed out in that review. The phono cable is not marked L/R and the DIN plug doesn’t fit into the base of the arm; Ortofon replied to that review saying they would fix those things before continuing with the arm….

VR
Andy
 
Hey Andy, do you want the dimensions of the counter-weight screw? I have a TD124 that came with an RS212, and it has the screw. I can measure, weigh, etc if you want. Your threads on restoring the 124 have been invaluable to me and if I can help you with something, I’d be happy to do it.
 
Hey Andy, do you want the dimensions of the counter-weight screw? I have a TD124 that came with an RS212, and it has the screw. I can measure, weigh, etc if you want. Your threads on restoring the 124 have been invaluable to me and if I can help you with something, I’d be happy to do it.

@El Rubio

Wow don’t know how I missed your reply:dunno: Providing the screw dimensions will be extremely helpful :trebon:, weight is also great.

Also very happy that you found my TD 124 build useful….

Thanks so much,
Andy
 
Nice thread, great work. I'm waiting on an Alfred Bokrand (Ortofon) AS-230, so nerding on Ortofon arms has become a pasttime for me.
I find it quite interesting that Stereophile way back when found the RS-212 to be on par with the SME 3009 Series II, especially considering the prices claimed for the latter these days.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ortofon-rs-212-tonearm
 
Last edited:
Nice thread, great work. I'm waiting on an Alfred Bookrand (Ortofon) AS-230, so nerding on Ortofon arms has become a pasttime for me.
I find it quite interesting that Stereophile way back when found the RS-212 to be on par with the SME 3009 Series II, especially concidering the prices claimed for the latter these days.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/ortofon-rs-212-tonearm

Thanks for the compliment, not sure the repair will hold up, so I’m ordering a later version of the reproduction bearing housings to try and modify it to work on the RS.

Yeah I’m aware of that review and if memory serves, they did a follow up or two….

Those AB arms are fantastic, you’ll have to post a review…

VR
Andy
 
Nice thread, great work. I'm waiting on an Alfred Bokrand (Ortofon) AS-230, so nerding on Ortofon arms has become a pasttime for me.
I find it quite interesting that Stereophile way back when found the RS-212 to be on par with the SME 3009 Series II, especially considering the prices claimed for the latter these days.

Ortofon RS-212 tonearm | Stereophile.com
Alfred Bokrand used the Ortofon AS212 for his Bokrand tonearms. Usually he made a long 12" and even a 16" version, either S-shaped or curved.

The Ortofon RS212 was a very simple tonearm, not on par with the AS212 or other 10" studio versions such as used on the early EMT 930: RMG 212 or 12"
RMG 309.
 
Alfred Bokrand used the Ortofon AS212 for his Bokrand tonearms. Usually he made a long 12" and even a 16" version, either S-shaped or curved.

The Ortofon RS212 was a very simple tonearm, not on par with the AS212 or other 10" studio versions such as used on the early EMT 930: RMG 212 or 12"
RMG 309.
Owning several variants of AS/AB and RS, I’d consider the vintage RS212 a much more complicated tonearm and in 9” to 9” comparison, would pick the RS….but we all have opinions :dunno:

VR
Andy
 
Owning several variants of AS/AB and RS, I’d consider the vintage RS212 a much more complicated tonearm and in 9” to 9” comparison, would pick the RS….but we all have opinions :dunno:

VR
Andy
I have to apologize:
The Ortofon RS-212 is a very special tonearm.
I mixed it up with the SMG and SKG-212. A even more simple but very rare one was the SSM-212.
I had the SMG and SKG, the SSM only seen on photos but I wouldn't pay much for it.

Excellent Ortofon tonearms were the RMA229 and RF229 (mono) as built for the EMT 930st turntable
as well as their 12" versions, the RMA-297 and RF-297 (mono).
Those didn't have the SME-connector though for standard headshells but for studioheads only.

Ortofon declared the SMG/SKG-212 tonearms as 12" which often led to confusion because it were the 309-series (and 297 of course) which were 12" tonearms, the 212 are all 9".
 
Here a few photos for replacing the bearing housing of an Ortofon AS212 and removing the SME mount (for replacing the internal wire)
The original plastic bearinghousing is very easely damaged. The original internal wiring is o.k. but it is worthwhile investing into better wiring.
Very important:
Photo 4 shows the back of the armtube, the tiny plug and the horizontal bearings (in the silver tube, 4 bearing balls on each side)
To remove this tube one has to find a tool with has the exact same diameter so one can "drive it out". The plug is important because it
a) holds the lateral bearingtube in place
b) the earth-wire is soldered to it
I have seen/heard modified AS212 armtubes with a hole in front of the armtube so the internal wiring can come out just behind the SME mount and plug directly onto the cartridge. Of course the originality of the AS212 is gone but the difference in sound quality is amazing. Direct wiring always has huge advantages. Same for any tonearm with SME mount and.... particular for the cheap stupid wiring of Linn Basic+, Akito and Ittok wirings.
 

Attachments

  • armtube bearingside.JPG
    armtube bearingside.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Armtube bearing-side.JPG
    Armtube bearing-side.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 6
  • armtube SME mount removed.JPG
    armtube SME mount removed.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
  • bearing housing removed.jpg
    bearing housing removed.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 7
  • brass bearinghousing.JPG
    brass bearinghousing.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
  • orig plastic bearinghousing.JPG
    orig plastic bearinghousing.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
  • plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 6
  • removal of SME mount.JPG
    removal of SME mount.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SME mount.JPG
    SME mount.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 6
Good job! The AS-212 is a wonderful tonearm and a near drop-in replacement (collar adapter needed and a little cue bar modification) for the Lenco L75 tonearm. The vertical bearing resin housing is fragile and is notoriously difficult to pull out for replacement. Glad it worked out for you. Those tonearms are hard to come by these days.
 
Back
Top Bottom