• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Those silly Pioneer Speaker connectors

Make your own at about $1.00 each.

AC plug. Twist one pin and file down the other.

Looks like hell, works well.


MVC-008F-4.jpg

Hellof an idea.. but can 2-side by side fit?
 
Has anyone ever replaced the terminals in the receiver itself with something else? Like binding posts? The speaker plugs work alright, but even moving the receiver slightly (when fiddling around swapping cables or something) causes the speaker wires to unplug. (I also have some pretty heavy gauge wire attached to them, which pulls on the connectors quite a bit). I'd be interested in a way to make them more secure. I toyed with the idea of soldering them into the receiver, but I'd rather have something a little more.... classy.

Charles.
 
Has anyone ever replaced the terminals in the receiver itself with something else? Like binding posts? The speaker plugs work alright, but even moving the receiver slightly (when fiddling around swapping cables or something) causes the speaker wires to unplug. (I also have some pretty heavy gauge wire attached to them, which pulls on the connectors quite a bit). I'd be interested in a way to make them more secure. I toyed with the idea of soldering them into the receiver, but I'd rather have something a little more.... classy.

Charles.

You'd have to remove the whole speaker plug blocks. Then fabricate a plate to cover the holes to attach the Banana plugs to. Go for it and show off some handiwork.

My 424 has all of the plugs. I keep them taped in a bag to the back, which helps keep the spring contacts from wearing out.

Larry
Larry
 
You know, as much as we whine about these proprietary parts, I think these are a pretty good idea. I mean, speaker shorts are nothing to sneeze at and plugging something in is so much better than twisting (and maybe tinning) wire and putting it in a hole. A good set of banana plugs will run you $5 so I don't find the price from Pioneer direct to be that bad.

My Allied amp I use in my workshop uses these. I guess that pretty much proves it was made by Pioneer.
 
Replacement AC plug at Ace Hardware! Works great!

Just found this type of replacement AC plug at my local Ace Hardware. A perfect part to use for SX plugs! For about $4.99 each!!! At Amazon they're $2.95 plus $4.99 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-White-Cord-Plug-016-00101-WP/dp/B00JJU1XVC
Grind the plug sides to be more narrow, slice off the plastic sides (they fold on a thin hinge that's easy to slice clean away with a razor knife), twist one lug, and you are good to go. I plan to smooth/polish the plug faces so they don't scrape the inner walls of the receptacles. My Pioneer SX-2500 sounds great! And the finished part is narrow enough to have two side by side.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1935.jpg
    IMG_1935.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 350
Do note, that by using a non-standard connector, you can bend the contacts in the receiver out, and cause a situation where the connection is not made well. My QX4000 had this issue - the rear speakers would drop out and crackle like I had a deoxit problem, seemingly at random. Ended up being loose speaker connections. So be wary of using anything that's not an original connector -- if you ever get the OEM connectors and want to use them, you may have damaged the receiver.

Charles.
 
I used the Cinch Jones connector recently because you can't buy the originals from Pioneer anymore and I'm not paying 30 bucks on ebay for them. For just under 4 bucks each from Mouser you can solve the problem quite easily. Doesn't look bad either.
 
Same for me. These are fine. And they're about the same thickness as the vintage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
mouser.com

538-P-303H-CCT @ 3.66 ea 10 @ 3.41

I'm surprised...


addendum

there's a
538-P-303H-CCTL that is $6.73 ea,
it is a
538-P-303H-CCT that has an additional locking mechanism installed which will not be used, in fact, it would be in the way.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom