• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on lesser-known European brands? (Vieta, specifically)

AlanInSitges

New Member
I've been wanting a Scott amp for quite a while now, but in my market even the few really rough unrestored ones are going for 1000€ and more. So I've been playing the waiting game. I can't help but notice, though, that other amps are cheap and plentiful - there are a couple of clean and complete Vieta A217s near me for around 200€. It's a Spanish brand made here in Barcelona, schematic and service data easily available and it looks to be a pretty standard amp of that era with 12AX7s and EL84s with a cathodyne phase inverter and pretty beefy output transformers. Styling-wise I don't generally care for European stuff of this era but these look like maybe they were a knockoff of a HK design and I quite like it. There seem to be plenty of guides to restoring them online and it looks like a really easy recap - plenty of room under that chassis.

Of course anything is going to need to be gone through before I use it or can judge performance, so buying one is going to be a crapshoot. What's the conventional wisdom around these things? Conventional circuit design plus beefy transformers it's probably going to sound OK I'm guessing...is getting Scott-level performance a fantasy? What should I consider before taking the plunge?
 

Attachments

  • V_A217_00.jpeg
    V_A217_00.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 42
Register to hide this ad
.. there are a couple of clean and complete Vieta A217s near me for around 200€. It's a Spanish brand made here in Barcelona, schematic and service data easily available and it looks to be a pretty standard amp of that era with 12AX7s and EL84s What should I consider before taking the plunge?

Have you considered console pulls? I ask because the Grundig NF20 is a console amp that based on previous threads I've read gets a lot of praise.

Made in Germany so I'm guessing they might be more available in Europe or in your case Catalonia

 
I did a little research on the Vieta A217, looks like a neat little amp and seeing as they're plentiful and local to you that might be a good direction to go. One thing you wouldn't have to worry about is shipping


 
Looks like a reasonable design, and the transformers aren't teeny. Its reasonably hard to make a truly bad EL84 amp, most of it really depends on the output transformers. There would probably be a few small tweaks I'd do but nothing major, mostly just stuff to make it a little more user friendly in the modern era. Inside layout looks clean and tidy, tons of room to work in there so it would be an easy rebuild.
 
I've been wanting a Scott amp for quite a while now, but in my market even the few really rough unrestored ones are going for 1000€ and more. So I've been playing the waiting game. I can't help but notice, though, that other amps are cheap and plentiful - there are a couple of clean and complete Vieta A217s near me for around 200€. It's a Spanish brand made here in Barcelona, schematic and service data easily available and it looks to be a pretty standard amp of that era with 12AX7s and EL84s with a cathodyne phase inverter and pretty beefy output transformers. Styling-wise I don't generally care for European stuff of this era but these look like maybe they were a knockoff of a HK design and I quite like it. There seem to be plenty of guides to restoring them online and it looks like a really easy recap - plenty of room under that chassis.

Of course anything is going to need to be gone through before I use it or can judge performance, so buying one is going to be a crapshoot. What's the conventional wisdom around these things? Conventional circuit design plus beefy transformers it's probably going to sound OK I'm guessing...is getting Scott-level performance a fantasy? What should I consider before taking the plunge?
Found this link. True point-to-point circuitry. Very nice. :thumbsup: :)

843a063a5f960d2fbf14cd2edf47e8c6.jpg


b568d31dc4ee27cb6f00f7a78da84142.jpg




https://www.avforums.co.za/threads/vieta-a217-integrated-tube-amplifier.44628/
 
Yeah, a good push pull EL84 amp is all anyone really needs in life. This one is different in that it comes from a lesser known brand (at least to those of us in the USA) but probably has more in common with American 6bq5 amps than we realize... My money is on it sounding really nice after a complete overhaul.
Like Gadget said, you really have to do something big to make an EL84 push pull amp sound bad.
Congratulations.
 
Last edited:
The first tube amp I messed with qas a 6BQ5 PP console amp. And I didn't get it right, but it still sounded good. I agree you have to really mess one up bad to have them sound bad. Earlier this year I dusted that old amp off and went back through it. I had bodged it pretty bad originally. And it still made nice music.
 
I agree with the other assessments here, for 200€ how bad can it be? Cosmetically it's about an 8 or so. I'll post details once I have it in hand.
 
the other thing I like from what I see in pics, it sure looks like those are mostly carbon film type resistors, and the caps look like a mix of polystyrene and and "mustard" film caps, both of which are fairly reliable and high quality parts from the era. They may very well still be in good operating shape, so restoration would be minimal.
 
Well, I pulled the trigger. As it happens the cheapest one in the country was also the closest to me so I went and picked it up. The guy lived in an old house that was wall-to-wall hoarded with old electronics, mostly 60s-70s European components and speakers. I could have easily brought a truckload home for cheap but fought the urge. I have a feeling it will still be there if I change my mind.

The amp was playing when I got there, but I didn't spend any time listening to it. The case is in great shape for the most part. Inside...not quite as nice. There's a lot of surface rust on the chassis, someone did a hacky recap back in the 80s, and that quartet of Siemens EL84s mentioned in the thread linked above were, well...6P14s, one of which has almost zero emission. The GZ34 is a Telefunken replacement and all the other tubes are the Siemens originals. All of them test strong.

I swapped out the dead 6P14 for another used one I had lying around, and powered it up. It's got quite a bit of filter hum, the controls are all dirty, but it works, so I know the expensive stuff is all OK. Build quality is pretty impressive, big-ass transformers, carefully dressed wires, good quality components, heavy-guage steel, etc.

I really like the aesthetic of this amp, and I'd like to restore it to a high level. As far as the repair goes, I know what I'm doing, but I'm not very experienced with European gear, and not at all when it comes to cosmetic stuff. So I have a few questions:

  • What's the conventional wisdom on those mustard caps? I spot-checked some for leakage (especially on the grid of that dead output tube) and they seem to be fine. Replace or no?
  • Any reason to replace that bridge rectifier in the bias supply? I believe it is silicon.
  • What's the best way to clean up the chassis? I've seen other threads mention using Simple Green, but we don't have that here, and I suspect this rust is more advanced than that anyway.
  • The knobs are solid aluminum, and are quite filthy. What's the best way to clean them up? Can I soak them like plastic knobs, or not a good idea?
  • Wondering about adding binding posts, and thought about drilling out the rivets holding in those terminal strips, and bolting a steel plate with binding posts connected to the 8-ohm taps in its place. I really don't want to cut it up.
  • Aside from replacing all the electrolytics, cleaning controls and switches, replacing output tubes, and then the general physical cleaning and polishing, is there anything else I should plan on?
Thanks for any advice!

Reminds me of a Citation amp, for some reason. Compared to other European stuff of the era, I think it's quite a looker.
PXL_20231116_221729136.jpg

Back Panel
PXL_20231116_221834975.jpg

Chassis and transformers
PXL_20231116_222200992.jpg

Rusty Chassis
PXL_20231118_145938941.jpg

Gross Knobs
PXL_20231118_145924917.jpg
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20231116_222230873.jpg
    PXL_20231116_222230873.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom