• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on Mcintosh C31V?

RichmondMark

Active Member
Does anyone have experience with the C31V? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there. I'm picking one up as an era-appropriate mate for my MC7270. It seems to be a good value -- they go for little in comparison to other Mac pre's. It has good specs but there isn't much discussion on line that I could see.

I'm assuming the push-button volume control wasn't popular as I have read about with the C35. And it is a departure from previous pre's in cosmetic appearance -- I don't like its looks as much as C32,33,34, etc. It has the half-glass face plate as well. But I figured what the heck...at half the price of some of its immediate Mac predecessors it was worth checking out.

So I was looking for opinions form any one with experience...any issues, etc. Has anyone use one with an MC7270?

Oh, and I'm also curious as to why it has an output rated @ 1.5V when most other Mac pre's seem to be 2.5V. I didn't realize that until I purchased it. What are the consequences/impacts of that? Anyone know why it was designed that way? The MC7270 has input settings o 0.75 and 2.5V.

That's a lot to start...probably too much...looking forward to your comments.
 
Register to hide this ad
I had one and thought it was a very good preamp. I loved the remote and the phono section. It served me well for several years.
 
Great, yes I was able to find a remote on Ebay. That's going to be nice -- I've been using a C28 with the volume/power switch combo. I really don't like the looks of the C31V push button volume but at the end of the day I think it contributed to the low price in comparison to other Mac pre's of similar vintage.
 
C31, C35 & C37 have the same face plate design and it is kind of bland that is why these preamps don't hold their value. The top half should be a mechanical tuner instead bunch of indicators.
 
Mackie...I agree. I was torn about it and I really don't care for the look as much as the 32, 33, 34V's, etc... In the end my curiosity and cheap side prevailed. I took advantage of the lower value and I hope it sounds pretty tight with the MC 7270 based on its specs. And then I plan to keep my C-28/MC-2105 combo as a "prettier" vintage system to look at.
 
Interesting. Buyer remorse? What's that? Price was right so I doubt it. Besides, I've only ever experienced seller's remorse....
 
Yes...sadly, you are right...I'm sure I will...its the nature of the audio addiction...
Looking back over the years and all the components that have come and gone. Whenever I have had mostly McIntosh gear in my system, I have found that I swap/change equipment a lot less!
 
Nice pre amp! Five band equalizer that's out of the circuit when set flat, variable loudness, FET switching, and lots of inputs. If you are coming off a C28/MC2105 combo, the C31/MC2720 is going to thrill you!
 
Looking back over the years and all the components that have come and gone. Whenever I have had mostly McIntosh gear in my system, I have found that I swap/change equipment a lot less!

Yes...It's nice when you can settle down and concentrate on the music. The C-28/MC-2105 have been in the stable for a while and have let me do that...I'm hoping the C31V and MC7270 will be around for a while as well...
 
Nice pre amp! Five band equalizer that's out of the circuit when set flat, variable loudness, FET switching, and lots of inputs. If you are coming off a C28/MC2105 combo, the C31/MC2720 is going to thrill you!

Great. Given all that (plus the remote) it seems like a great value in comparison to what some of the other pre's from that era are going for. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces.
 
I nearly bought one because they are a great price, but then when I was ready to buy couldn't find one so ended up with a C32....
 
It's a good preamp, the first Mcintosh offering into the remote control world for them as preamps go. (yah, the CR series...)

Sounded good, some folks complained about everything (the 'thermometer' volume control, the resolution of the steps, you name it) nobody carped about how it sounded.

FWIW, not to rain on you, but the C-34V outsold it about 8 to 1. The C-35 came out near the end of my tenure with improvements on all the 'shortcomings' the '31 had. I recall the '35 had a motorized attenuator IIRC.
 
Does anyone have experience with the C31V? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there. I'm picking one up as an era-appropriate mate for my MC7270. It seems to be a good value -- they go for little in comparison to other Mac pre's. It has good specs but there isn't much discussion on line that I could see.

I'm assuming the push-button volume control wasn't popular as I have read about with the C35. And it is a departure from previous pre's in cosmetic appearance -- I don't like its looks as much as C32,33,34, etc. It has the half-glass face plate as well. But I figured what the heck...at half the price of some of its immediate Mac predecessors it was worth checking out.

So I was looking for opinions form any one with experience...any issues, etc. Has anyone use one with an MC7270?

Oh, and I'm also curious as to why it has an output rated @ 1.5V when most other Mac pre's seem to be 2.5V. I didn't realize that until I purchased it. What are the consequences/impacts of that? Anyone know why it was designed that way? The MC7270 has input settings o 0.75 and 2.5V.

That's a lot to start...probably too much...looking forward to your comments.


I have one, and it is very nearly the same as a C-35, which I also own. (The C-35 remote works with it too!) (My 31v's remote was missing @ purchase)
Obvious differences are the lack of balanced outputs, and the volume control (on mine, anyway) is a bit noisy when actuated.
No numerical digital display of the volume, like the C-35. I got mine for a little over $500, and I am thrilled with its performance!
It works quite well with my Mc2300's, and my Mc2100's, but the volume control is ramped up fairly high when I use the preamp with the 2100's
Since it is from the mid/late '80's, some servicing is likely needed. I inspected the innards of mine, and there are too many small caps that potentially need to be replaced. I'll leave that to the experts, budget permitting. For now, I am just going to enjoy it.
 
Back
Top Bottom