• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on Speaker impedance and vintage receiver. Sony, Polk 2:1 stacked

Wrongdog

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anyone have thoughts and or opinions on running stacked stereo speakers with a Vintage Sony STR-6200F and 8 ohm and 6 ohm speakers??

I love the giant sound of two sets of 8 ohm speakers stacked but is my POLK M5jr SERIES 2 (6 OHM) and a set of Polk Tsi100 (8 ohm) speakers going to run too hot for my healthy but unrestored STR-6200F? I don't run it super loud.
 
Register to hide this ad
This spec for the STR-6200F gives you hope for success. It is 4 ohm rated at a decent amount of power above the 8 ohm rating. That tells us it has a pretty robust power supply and decent heatsink area.

"Continuous RMS Power: 60 watts per channel into 8Ω (20 Hz - 20 kHz), 70 watts per channel at 8Ω (1 kHz), and 90 watts per channel at 4Ω"

I would think the Polk two ways would be a fairly easy load. You may want to monitor the temperature of the area above the heat sinks in the receiver and see if it seems to get excessively hot.
 
Just on the speakers themselves, you may find that running 2 differing sets results in an uneven sound if the sensitivity isn't similar. A few db will make one set dissappear, which may or may not sound good.

It can also cause a perceived lack of bass (or mids, less with highs) due to phasing, which in your case may cause you to drive the amp harder than desired. So you may want to try running one set out of phase and seeing how your bass response is.
 
Thanks for responses.

My usual "stacked" stereo setup is a quad of Dynaco A-25's. The interesting thing is that they are "different era" A-25's but complement each other superbly in my opinion. I love the set up. The difference is one set has SEAS drivers and the other has Scanspeak and they have different ports - one set has the port at bottom and one set at top.

I'll mess with the Polks and see what they sound like. I was just wondering about That old Sony's ability to handle them. The transformer is massive and I would guess power supply very robust. I will be monitoring heat for sure.
 
I'm no expert, but my gut says that if you're listening at a moderate volume you'll probably be fine.
 
First if you stack speakers you want your tweeters and midranges to be vertically aligned at ear height and as close as possible. This prevents different arrival limes whichcan compromise the quality of the sound immensely. Over emphasizing some parts of the spectrum and surpressing others.
 
Back
Top Bottom