• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts?

markthefixer

On Hiatus, hospitalized and NOT doing Clutches
Subscriber
ebay auction closed, huge collection of misc sx-1250 parts for $99

paid standard shipping request of 47.25

Then get this (with some things changed for privacy):

Dear buyer,

Pioneer parts lot shipped today, FedEx ground tracking #redacted.
2 boxes, 58 pounds. Actual FedEx charges $80.60. Please Paypal me
$15.60
*****

-seller

I'm a bit nonplussed, at his chutzpah. He only has 14 transactions under his belt, so I guess I'll pay it, as it does seem that he is splitting the difference.

I am however, tempted to wait until it arrives, to see if the packing was adequate to prevent damage.

Thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hmmm,
If he had a fixed shipping fee, it's his tough luck if he didn't do his homework. He should have had everything boxed up and shipping calculated to the farthest zip he would ship to. Sounds like a lazy a$$ seller to me. If you want to be generous about it, wait until it arrives and see how he packed it. If he just threw everything in a box with crumpled newspaper, let him eat the difference.
 
I'll stonewall contact completely until I am sure the boxes are actually out of his hands.

Warren, my thoughts exactly.
 
I am not an expert, but I don't think you're obligated to pay the difference in any way. On a personal note, I think you're being really kind and the seller, not so much. I've made mistakes on the shipping cost before; I ate it. My mistake, my hit. As you say, he's new. Anyway, I hope it all works out well for you.
 
I am not an expert, but I don't think you're obligated to pay the difference in any way. On a personal note, I think you're being really kind and the seller, not so much. I've made mistakes on the shipping cost before; I ate it. My mistake, my hit. As you say, he's new. Anyway, I hope it all works out well for you.

+1. I just sold something that I had a $10 shipping charge on. Cost me $19 to ship. Well, too bad on me. I'll do better next time.

You paid what he asked for, end of story.
 
Thought

Fed EX is a rip off is my first thought.
Unless we are talking chassis parts here,that are longer than 10'',USPS large flat rate boxes are 12'' x 12'' x 6'' and "if it fits it ships" I think it's up to 40lbs a box.$10.95
Even if you split your order into 4 boxes it would still run about half.
 
Hmmm,
If he had a fixed shipping fee, it's his tough luck if he didn't do his homework. He should have had everything boxed up and shipping calculated to the farthest zip he would ship to. Sounds like a lazy a$$ seller to me. If you want to be generous about it, wait until it arrives and see how he packed it. If he just threw everything in a box with crumpled newspaper, let him eat the difference.

Agreed. Tough oates, bucko. I'd tell him to go pound salt.

I sell on ebay now and then and I'm good at estimating shipping costs. Though every now and then I screw the pooch and miss-calculate. Never would I ask someone to pay more because I couldn't factor shipping correctly.

Lesson for the seller; you live, you learn....
 
Personally, I'd probably just pay it. It would have been nicer if he'd written "This cost a lot more to ship than I expected - can we split the difference?" but I believe the actual shipping cost.
 
Don't reply to his email until you've seen the goods. Then, you can CYA when you respond and say you were out of town and away from email for the last XX days.

You are not obligated to pay, but you can chose to do what you feel is fair. If I've quoted a price and make a mistake, it's my fault as I am supposed to get it right. So, I eat the charges.
 
What a disappointment. packing wise. two sheets of bubble wrap total, forming a layer or two. Big heavy qx-9900 chassis in bottom of box then many many boards just placed into the upper cavity, then when it all didn't fit, another box for long stuff was used. THAT had a bit more cushioning - but only apparently just to fill the empty volume.

Things are bent and squashed. I found METERS that had worked? put there? their way to the outside envelope of the box with the meter face resting on the outside cardboard, sandwiched between the box and the contents.

A HEAVY box, which again, the FEDEX delivery person ROLLED end over end to get it in my door.

Two boxes were used, and a better split of the content's density along with some of that void fill (brown crumpled paper) actually used as cushioning would have worked a heck of a lot better.

A terrible and costly packing job. probably has size and weight penalties sprinkled all through it.

I paid 47.25 towards shipping.58 pounds. Actual FedEx charges $80.60. and he wants $15.60 more.

nothing in the auction indicated additional invoicing of shipping costs.

I honestly think that I will never buy from him again.
 
What a bone head! What did he think would happen if the box was turned upside down? Don't pay the extra and I would also leave him negative feedback for poor packaging. Be fair; say it came promptly and was as described but poorly packed.
 
What a bone head! What did he think would happen if the box was turned upside down? Don't pay the extra and I would also leave him negative feedback for poor packaging. Be fair; say it came promptly and was as described but poorly packed.

I agree. HONEST feedback helps everyone.
 
Any chance it was packaged by FedEx and He had to pay for the packaging job as well?
I think FedEx uses the brown paper you described.
I agree that USPS is way more cost efficient US and international.
 
Don't leave negative feedback. You can rate his packing by giving him one star. He did everything else well, didn't he?
 
Hope you took pictures.

BTW ----I wish I would have seen that auction.

Good Luck ,Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom