• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thrift Store KEFs

RWFE

Well-Known Member
Hey guys just got back from the thrift. I noticed these speakers. Usually all I see is crap but I immediately noticed the five way binding posts. I ended up getting two sets of speakers:

KEF C-55.

KEF C-25.

The 55s I paid 12.50 for the pair. The 25s I paid 8.50 for the pair. I am playing the 55s now and they sound pretty darn good. 4 ohms only. Made in England and seem pretty high quality but I know nothing about them. Any fans that know anything about them or whether I got a deal? I am thinking I will use them for a home theater setup but the C-55s sound pretty good right now and they are sitting on the floor with no stands in my main rig.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've had three pairs of C series KEFs and used my SA9500II to drive them. Nice sound but every pair had one or two woofers cones separate from the voice coil at the spyder. This produces a very rough raspy sound that is easily recognized. You'll know it when you here it. Good luck with those.
 
I've had three pairs of C series KEFs and used my SA9500II to drive them. Nice sound but every pair had one or two woofers cones separate from the voice coil at the spyder. This produces a very rough raspy sound that is easily recognized. You'll know it when you here it. Good luck with those.

I hooked up both pairs to my amp and cranked them up and they both sound good. They don't sound as good as my floorstanding Klipsch RF-5 to my ears but they will probably do good in a home theater set up. Don't sound like they got a loose vc thank god. The only possible problem is that they require 4 ohms so I would have find a home theater receiver that has 4 ohm output I assume.
 
25's: $328/pr new, 1988-91
55's: $598/pr new, 88-91


Thanks Bolly. I checked Ebay and I see a pair of the C-55s sold last week on a buy it now for 315 bucks plus shipping. Both of these pairs look close to new. Hardly a scratch on them.
 
Back
Top Bottom