• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TI "advanced segment"?

N8Nagel

Addicted Member
Hi all,

due to having found in a thrift an old Pioneer CDP with dual BB PCM58P-K DAC chips, I started taking an interest in different architectures. I know that the PCM58 is a R-2R ladder DAC which some people say is superior to the delta-sigma DACs more commonly used today. This made me look up the chips used in some of my other gear laying around just out of curiosity. One is a HRT MS II which uses a PCM 1794 which is according to TI an "advanced segment" DAC. I am assuming that that is not the same as delta-sigma as TI explicitly lists other chips as delta-sigma. Is that their term for a R-2R ladder or something different yet? If so, can someone please point me to a resource that I could use to learn a little about what that means?
 
Register to hide this ad
OK, good to know. I don't really know if it makes a major difference. I can say that I'm sitting here listening to Propellorheads on the Pioneer and it sounds amazing. But I bet it sounds just as good through my Oppo with ES9018s...
 
Back
Top Bottom