• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ticking sound from Casseiver

realleok

New Member
As mentioned in another thread, i have recently bought a Realistic SCR-4500 Casseiver. It is working fine, but intermittently makes a ticking noise from inside. It sounds like settling but its been happening for a while. It happens more frequently when on but still happens when off. All modes make it happen, but i have noticed higher amounts during cassette use. Attached is video.Thanks for any help, its not that important, i just want to make sure its not hurting it.

 
Register to hide this ad
I’d remove that heavy turntable from the top. It is possibly stressing the chassis and is most certainly blocking ventilation.
Is this a component with a standby or is the power switch a full throw on/off type?
 
yes, it has a full on off button. Theres no way I can stack them? Maybe with something in between. I don't really have the space to expand this
 
Does it use solenoid switching for the tape transport or direct mechanical linkage? If the former, could be related to that(???).
I had a Sony deck in the '80s and 90s that developed some interesting transport idiosyncracies following some well-intentioned but unfortunate repetitive button pushing at the hands... umm, fingers, of one our then very-young children. :confused:


I just hope it isn't a click beetle...

6cfcb60706d200ae46733d845a862b4c.jpg
 
So, for one, it is a solenoid controlled deck. I removed it from the turntable from it and put them both on separate shelves. so far, much less clicking, as far as I know, none. I wonder why that caused it but it's safe to say it was either weight or heat.
 
So, after some more use the tick is back. No more record player on top, just in stereo cabinet with empty space above. maybe not enough empty space. If it's heat, do I need fans? Or is this something dangerous or worrying?
 
Back
Top Bottom