• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Time to ditch the big car? - gas prices to hit $10.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take what the so called "analysts" say with a grain of salt. They are very good at "predicting" heavy rain when it's already thundering and spitting.
 
Did you see the news article today? The article in which a couple of oil and gas industry analysts are predicting gasoline prices to hit $7 - $10?

Ouch! That’s gotta hurt!

So… what are you doing for Bike To Work Month/Week/Day?

Check here for local information.

It's not that hard. I bike all over the place and the amount of gas I save is amazing.

So - stop complaining (like any one can do that ) and actually do something that will make a difference. As a side benefit, biking will also improve your own outlook on life and physical self.

DH

btwwbanner.png

Well, I used to ride all over the place, including work in downtown Chicago, but for many folks, it's just not practical.
For many, it's just too far. I work 19 miles from home and start at 5AM, so it's realistically an 1 1/2 to 2 hour ride starting at 3AM on sh*tty, pot-holed Detroit roads with drivers who'd rather run you down than give you 2 feet.
Ain't happening...

Everyone else in my family works at least 5 miles from home and many folks I know face a well over 10 mile one way commute. This is just too far for most folks to pedal.

There's also the clothing issue. Any ride of more than a few miles will probably get most folks less than "Shower fresh", and much business attire doesn't match well with riding attire. In Chicago, I worked in a lab, so I could jump into scrubs from shorts no problem, but many here don't have that option.

Then there's parking and security. Some SOB stole my leather seat right off the bike in Chicago, and my rims in Evanston 25 years ago. Things aren't better now.

Sure, I'd love to ride more places, and am all for it, but if a guy like me who has logged thousands of miles on bikes finds it to be a pain, I can't see the soccer moms jumping on their Schwinns in droves anytime soon...
 
I fully expect $4 by summer, and $5 to $6 in 1-2 years.

I am interested to see what happens with the DOT, and changes, as to what's going to be allowed on the public roads. As of now, some areas prohibit any cycle under 200cc on the highways, and some electric cars have classification issues- there's a $4000 used electric 2-seater up the street that at the moment cannot be operated o the road, but I imagine at some point, hopefully sooner than later, this will change.



It's an unfortunate situation, the increasing gas prices, but I am looking forward to see what solutions come up. Hopefully some interesting and practical ones.
 
I predict that more people will move:
A) closer to city cores where most jobs are,
B) to smaller towns that are self supporting business and employment-wise
and
C) a whole shitload of big-ass trucks and SUVs on sale, new and used.
 
I predict that more people will move:
A) closer to city cores where most jobs are,
B) to smaller towns that are self supporting business and employment-wise
and
C) a whole shitload of big-ass trucks and SUVs on sale, new and used.

sounds more like europe
 
I would love to be a able to bike wherever I needed to go but when you live in a rural area that isn't very practical. The closest town is six miles and my work commute is almost 30 miles one way.

I may look into getting a smaller motorcycle like a 250 Ninja.
My 850 Suzuki averages only 35mpg.

You need a different bike.
 
If you live near one...drive by your local CarMax (franchised used car dealer); their lots around here are FILLED with SUVs, and very, VERY few cars. I wonder how long until THAT business model fails.
 
Remember those bright Folks called the American Auto Industry. Especially GM who innovated the electric car. And then pulled it because there was no market for it. And our Government giving $100,000 Tax Breaks for the largest SUV Owners. I wonder where the Government gets this money? Don't forget about the Oil Cartel in the U.S.. The Bush Administration. Hey, but you can make up the difference at the pump with your rebate check. :scratch2:
 
I guess the words no politics means everyone else? Jeez, it ain't hard to have a nice conversation about this stuff..... but I guess for some it is just too difficult.
 
Remember those bright Folks called the American Auto Industry. Especially GM who innovated the electric car. And then pulled it because there was no market for it. And our Government giving $100,000 Tax Breaks for the largest SUV Owners. I wonder where the Government gets this money? Don't forget about the Oil Cartel in the U.S.. The Bush Administration. Hey, but you can make up the difference at the pump with your rebate check. :scratch2:

Strike 3. Thread is closed.

I'm tired of baby-sitting this recurring crap.

Next person who trolls a gas price thread in Off Topic gets a 7 day time out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom