• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Time to Freak Out: Frank's Back

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Good news, I do believe:

http://www.zappa.com/whatsnew/

6/12/12

TIME TO FREAK OUT… FRANK’S BACK!

ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST REGAINS CONTROL OF ICONIC MUSICIAN’S EXTENSIVE CATALOG

GLOBAL LICENSE/DISTRIBUTION DEAL SIGNED WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES

CATALOG OF 60 RECORDINGS TO BE LAUNCHED WITH JULY 31 RELEASE OF 12 TITLES

Back home where it belongs, the music of FRANK ZAPPA is now back in the hands of the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST.

To celebrate this, the estate has signed a global license and distribution deal with UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES to release 60 of the iconic composer’s recordings. The roll-out kicks off July 31 with 12 recordings, with another dozen recordings to be released monthly through the end of 2012.
 
Register to hide this ad
Best Buy has some of them for $9.99 right now....picked up Weasels and Fillmore East this weekend. Doug Sax and Robert Ludwig are doing the remastering work. Everyone is saying the Absolutely Free remaster is really good....but the Uncle Meat still has the dialog tracks.
 
As soon as I saw this I sold my duplicate copies (CDs) of the original releases on the auction site while they still had good values. Now I have the money to buy the remastered copies as they are released. Yeah!!!
 
I've already got a lot of his stuff on vinyl and CD, when the original mixes were harder to find i bought of Zappa on vinyl, I have at least 20 LP's and 30 CD's.

I'm still curious to hear what the new reissues sound like, rumors are that they are closer to the original vinyl releases.
 
I've already got a lot of his stuff on vinyl and CD, when the original mixes were harder to find i bought of Zappa on vinyl, I have at least 20 LP's and 30 CD's.

I'm still curious to hear what the new reissues sound like, rumors are that they are closer to the original vinyl releases.

Both Fillmore and Weasels say sourced from the original analog masters........
 
Both Fillmore and Weasels say sourced from the original analog masters........

I think the opening track of Weasels is the same length as the vinyl, the Ryko CD had an extended version.

Also Filmore has both parts of Willie the Pimp that wasn't on the previous CD.

The new releases look impressive, I might buy Hot Rats as i would like the original mix on CD, despite owning a copy on vinyl.
 
The new releases look impressive, I might buy Hot Rats as i would like the original mix on CD, despite owning a copy on vinyl.[/QUOTE]

Me too, was not impressed with the remix CD I bought and my vinyl is showing signs of over use!
 
Best Buy has some of them for $9.99 right now....picked up Weasels and Fillmore East this weekend. Doug Sax and Robert Ludwig are doing the remastering work. Everyone is saying the Absolutely Free remaster is really good....but the Uncle Meat still has the dialog tracks.

I want to see a remaster of the album that was Frank's favorite (and mine, too): One Size Fits All. I'd like it in 24/96
 
I have 80 Lp´s and 40 Cd´s.

I am only interested in material I never heard before.

I hear ya.....I own most of the original vinyl and all of the Ryko and ZFT releases on CD. I'm sure more unreleased material will continue to be released, once the entire "core" collection is available.

That said.....I might pick up a few select remastered titles. I'm also not opposed to re-buying the "Old Masters" box sets on vinyl, if they're released and done right.

I'd also like to see DVD/Blu-ray releases made available of unreleased material. You never know what Frank had on film/video in the vaults. Previously released video/DVD titles should also be upgraded to Blu-ray. Hopefully this new deal with Universal will make this a reality.
 
I´m waiting for new "Neue Musik" releases of the COMPOSER Frank Zappa like CP III or similar stuff!

There MUST still be a lot of material which just waits for being performed at last by such fine musicians like the Ensemble Modern, or Ensemble Ambrosius or a philharmonic orchestra conducted by somebody like Kent Nagano (don´t know if Boulez is still active).

Hurry up Dweezil, hurry up!!!

:music:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom