• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

timeframe 400's wheres the bass?

oldskl

Well-Known Member
I recently picked up some TF-400's. One of the tweeters was out so I replaced them with some Goldwoods from PE. I stripped them down and replaced the foam and will replace the socks soon. My question to other owners is how much bass should I expect out of these speakers? I have read alot of good things about the TF 400 and so far I am pretty disappointed.
 
Register to hide this ad
First thing to check is that you have them in phase.

Check the speakers by using a 1.5V battery (AA, C, D, etc. doesn't matter) to ensure the woofers in both speakers move outwards when the battery (+) and (-) are connected likewise to the speaker terminals.

Then, of course, ensure the receiver/amp left and right (+) and (-) are connected likewise to left and right speaker terminals.
 
Ok, I reversed the polarity on the top mids and that brought them to life. Apparently red is not always positive vise versa for black.
 
Usually, it is, except in the case of some JBL drivers where they tried to be tricky and made red = negative and black = positive.

The type of crossover will affect how (+) and (-) are connected to the drivers. Some require the connections to one driver, often the midrange, be reversed for the best overall response.
 
Back
Top Bottom